Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#329295 - 26/01/2010 23:52 Android question...
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Rubbing the BBS lamp here...

my google-fu seems to be weak on this one.

On my current Verizon phone, when I travel to Belize, I can go to the phone settings and switch to NAM 2 to change to my Belizean provider. Upon returning to the states, I simply select NAM 1 and I'm back to Verizon.

There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in the Settings on my Moto Droid. Anyone know how to accomplish this? I've rooted the phone, so even if there's a hackish way to do it, I'd be ok with that.

Any ideas? Any Android experts around here?

#329298 - 27/01/2010 00:24 Re: Android question... [Re: JBjorgen]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/5681-dual-nam-through-virtualization.html

This thread seems to put a nail in the idea of dual NAMs on a droid.

#329303 - 27/01/2010 05:32 Re: Android question... [Re: gbeer]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yeah...In fact, that's the only thread I found on the subject. What that thread is talking about is something different than I want to do.

The OP wants to be running two NAM's at the same time by running the phone software in a virtual machine. Way more complicated than anything I want to do. I just want to be able to switch between carriers. BTW, nothing I'm doing is illegal. I'm not duplicating the ESN and I'm maintaining my contract with Verizon. I simply want to use the same hardware with different providers without having the phone reprogrammed every time I travel.

You GSM people have it easy with your SIM card swapping...