Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#329608 - 31/01/2010 17:44 Weird Windows behavior
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I seem to be having an odd issue with Windows 7 (great, ammunition for Windows haters out there wink ).

For some reason, when I delete or move a file, explorer isn't updating with this information right away. I have to do a refresh to see the changes.

For example, when I have a folder open and I remove a file - whether I just hit delete, shift+delete, or even just move the file to another folder - the file still looks like it's there until I refresh (F5, Ctrl+R, etc).

It's very annoying. Any idea why that's happening? This Windows install is not very old at all (around two months), and I haven't installed much on it.

#329609 - 31/01/2010 17:48 Re: Weird Windows behavior [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Local or remote files? Do you have Anti-Virus installed? Any other kind of file system filter, maybe?

#329610 - 31/01/2010 17:54 Re: Weird Windows behavior [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not noticed that happening on any Windows 7 machines I've got.

You got any apps that use shell extensions?

#329613 - 31/01/2010 19:05 Re: Weird Windows behavior [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I've noticed behavior in Vista that, while not the same as what you are seeing, is related.

In Folder view (folders in left pane, files and subfolders in the right) folder name changes in the left pane are frequently weird. If I change a folder name from "Dog" to "Cat", both folders will be shown in the left pane, but only the folder called "Cat" can be accessed.

I have gotten into the habit of only changing folders in the right pane, which will reliably update the left pane.

tanstaafl.

#329618 - 31/01/2010 20:37 Re: Weird Windows behavior [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This is for local and remote files. Desktop too. The most annoying is the desktop, where I can press Ctrl+Shift+N to make a new folder, then I start typing and nothing happens and I see that the folder doesn't get made. Then I right-click and choose refresh, and then I see "New Folder" on the desktop. Very annoying.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. I do have a few apps that use shell extensions (7-Zip, VLC, MSE, maybe one or two more).

#329625 - 01/02/2010 01:25 Re: Weird Windows behavior [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It is VERY likely to be one of those shell extensions. Especially if it's a shell extension which has the power to control icons. For example, an image manager program whose shell extension is responsible for displaying thumbnails. Try removing or disabling them all, and if that fixes the problem, start putting them back one by one.