Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#332593 - 29/04/2010 22:18 Google Chrome not setting file permissions
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
So I am using Google Chrome on Windows XP and I have the default download location set to the desktop. When it downloads a file it does not add any users under security so I can not open or delete if file. If I go the and manually add "everyone" and set full control it fixes the problem. If I set Chrome to download to a different location I do not have the issue. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it. I have Firefox set to also download to the desktop and it does not have this problem.

Any guesses ?

Matt

#332623 - 30/04/2010 17:57 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
See if editing the preferences of your desktop folder fixes it.

In other words, edit the security settings of c:\users\msaeger\Desktop and see if it's something about inheriting permissions and such.

#332642 - 01/05/2010 09:02 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: msaeger]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Yes, as Tony said. I believe Chrome simply accepts whatever permissions settings you have in your destination folder.

In this specific case, your permissions settings in "Desktop" folder must be such that every file/folder in it inherit the "Desktop" permission settings. Are they set like that?

Now that I think about it, however, I wonder in what permissions context Chrome runs. It should be yours, and so YOU should be definitley one user able to open downloaded files! This doesn't seem right, unless Chrome is running under some other credentials than yours?! That, ye, may be Chrome bug you just found.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#332646 - 01/05/2010 11:02 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: Taym]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I just checked this and yes Tony was correct changing permissions for the desktop folder fixed it. It really doesn't make sense though. The folder for my user name had "everyone" set but nothing else. I added my user name and that fixed it. I also doesn't make sense that Firefox worked without this issue.

But it's fixed anyway thanks !

Matt

#332650 - 01/05/2010 13:18 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: msaeger]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Originally Posted By: msaeger
The folder for my user name had "everyone" set but nothing else. I added my user name and that fixed it. I also doesn't make sense that Firefox worked without this issue.

It's not supposed to be like that. You should see
SYSTEM
ADMINISTRATORS
YOURNAME

usually. Maybe you've moved the location of "Documents and Settings" without replicating the permissions in the new location?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#332653 - 01/05/2010 13:56 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: Taym]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Yeah and when I added my user name it automatically added system and the administrator.

The permission names just are illogical wouldn't everyone include me and the system and the admin ?

I didn't move it but maybe some IT guy did this is a corporate laptop. It's still weird that Chrome was the only thing having an issue.

Matt

#332655 - 01/05/2010 14:03 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

The permission names just are illogical wouldn't everyone include me and the system and the admin ?

Everyone includes anybody using your computer. Do you really want them to have full access to your profile? :P

I didn't move it but maybe some IT guy did this is a corporate laptop. It's still weird that Chrome was the only thing having an issue.

Chrome does sandboxing for security so I expect it is something to do with that.

#332662 - 01/05/2010 17:30 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, I actually got that right? It was a totally wild random guess. smile

#332685 - 03/05/2010 18:15 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: tfabris]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Everyone has permission to your profile? That is kind of concerning if you are on a corporate network. Anyone could have logged into your computer and looked at everything in your My Documents/Desktop you name it.

#332693 - 03/05/2010 20:59 Re: Google Chrome not setting file permissions [Re: siberia37]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Only if they had my log on or my computer. I can log on to any computer on the network (roaming profile ?) and the computer is a laptop that is not ever in an office since I am a field tech and do not have a desk or anything.

Maybe that isn't how it is supposed to be there was a problem but I didn't add everyone that was already there. Plus I don't care who can see the stuff anyway. If I really had something I didn't want anyone to see it wouldn't be on a corporate computer an IT guy is always going to be able to see what I have on there.

Matt