Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#336617 - 01/09/2010 02:27 Trading up from a point and shoot
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Here it is in a nutshell:

My wife and I are going to SF in mid-October. Currently, she and I use a Canon SD1000 and Canon TX1, respectively. We want to take better pictures on our trip than our PaS cameras can provide.

The struggle we're both having is deciding whether to get a mirrorless model or a standard full-body DSLR.

Here's my thoughts:
  • the thing that attracts us most to the micro 4/3rds and the like is the small body, which of course will be a little easier on our trip
  • the DSLRs would be more full-featured, and technically take better photos
  • we're complete novices to real photography, so we might not ever take advantage of those extra features on a full DSLR
  • we'd like to learn more, but there's no guarantee that we'll actually get into this as a real hobby
  • we won't be spending more than $600-700 on the initial investment, and I don't see us affording additional lenses for at least a year
In case it isn't apparent, I'm currently leaning towards the micro 4/3rds format due to the size of the camera and a slightly greater focus on hand-holding newbies. The front-runner for me, based on price and reviews, is the Olympus E-PL1. It's not as sturdily built as its Olympus siblings, but it has a great price tag, averaging at most places for about $540.

#336618 - 01/09/2010 02:43 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Better camera won't make you take better pictures smile

I am not even at amateur level but I would go for the smaller one too just because if you get a big one and don't want to carry it you either get no pictures or end up bringing the point and shoot.

Matt

#336619 - 01/09/2010 10:18 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: msaeger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Get a small camera!

#336625 - 01/09/2010 11:15 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger

That's absolutely true, but the fact is the better camera can take better pictures. We've maxed out on the quality we're able to get on our PaS cameras (should be POS wink ), so we want to trade up.

Either way we go, we're planning on learning as much as we can in the time we have before our trip, so that we'll be prepared. My best friend is an amateur photographer, and we'll be asking him for a few lessons smile

...don't want to carry it you either get no pictures or end up bringing the point and shoot.

Agreed there. As they say, "the best camera is the one that's with you." I just think I'm unlikely to sling those bulky DSLRs with me everywhere...

Originally Posted By: mlord
Get a small camera!

That's how I'm leaning at the moment! The primary thing that's pushing us is that my wife's SD1000 is occasionally incredibly slow. We were outside a very nice college campus building last week, and she wanted to take a shot of it. Granted, it was twilight, so the camera has to work a little harder, but she literally stood there for 10 seconds with the button pressed all the way down and the camera wouldn't take the shot. Argh!

Add to this that the SD1000 takes pretty crappy low-light photos. This is, of course, one of the biggest difficulties of all these digital cameras, but her's is particularly susceptible to grainy low-light photos. With the SD1000, we have one of the smallest cameras I've ever seen, but that means a small sensor, and the automatic mode occasionally gets in its own way.

Edited by Dignan (01/09/2010 11:20)

#336628 - 01/09/2010 11:49 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Forget 4/3. Forget Olympus. Buy a Canon or a Nikon. Not a Sony, not a Pentax. Nothing else compares and nothing else has the longevity. I realise you said you may not take it any further, but my recommendation stands at either Canon or Nikon. Buy one used if you want, it will be a terrific savings and you'll still have a good camera.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/09/2010 11:57)

#336629 - 01/09/2010 12:15 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
That's how I'm leaning at the moment! The primary thing that's pushing us is that my wife's SD1000 is occasionally incredibly slow. We were outside a very nice college campus building last week, and she wanted to take a shot of it. Granted, it was twilight, so the camera has to work a little harder, but she literally stood there for 10 seconds with the button pressed all the way down and the camera wouldn't take the shot. Argh!

Turn off AiAF and the AF assist light in the settings if you want fast.

#336633 - 01/09/2010 14:19 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
we'd like to learn more

Then don't waste your time on the Olympus. Their P&S cameras have very few manual controls. Want a specific shutter speed or aperture? Forget it. Their "P" mode lets your pick white balance, ISO, and spot metering. Whee. Instead, they have "special scenes" settings. On top of that, they also disable features if you aren't using their brand of memory cards.

At the time I got my Olympus, they were the only ones doing a waterproof/shockproof camera, and my primary goal was to have something small to take on the river while whitewater kayaking. Canon is also now making a waterproof/shockproof camera, and although their form factor isn't quite as nice as the Olympus, I'd go that route, if I were making my purchase today.

#336636 - 01/09/2010 15:09 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: canuckInOR]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Then don't waste your time on the Olympus. Their P&S cameras have very few manual controls.

I suppose it could carry over, but I'm not talking about their P&S cameras...

#336637 - 01/09/2010 15:09 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: msaeger]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA

I am not even at amateur level but I would go for the smaller one too just because if you get a big one and don't want to carry it you either get no pictures or end up bringing the point and shoot.

Better camera won't take better pictures but it will help you. Being able to see actually what you are getting in a picture and look through an actual viewfinder really helps you think about your shots and compose them. I really hate LCD-only digital cameras that you have to compose with the LCD on the back- it's hard to see what's in focus and it encourages you to not look very closely at what you are taking a picture of. This doesn't mean you have to get an SLR- the Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) cameras (Panasonic GHx series) are probably fine and work for a lot of people.

#336646 - 01/09/2010 16:16 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: siberia37]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I think it depends on what sort of photography you do. I have a Nikon DSLR with several lenses, and still keep a PaS in the bag for when I don't want to carry the whole thing - usually when I'm biking or some such where I'm doing more casual landscapes. (I readily admit I suck at landscapes - don't know if it's my camera or my color-blind eye, but I'm guessing eye.)

But the PaS just can't take candid portraits like my 80-200 f2.8 zoom on my DSLR. Yes, it's big. It's heavy. And the pictures are great - way beyond what I can get with a PaS. The focus is fast and accurate. The wide open lens keeps the focus on the candids.

I got the best job on my kids' summer swim team using it; no "volunteer" timing or data entry for me! I just have to wander around and catch kids in the act of having fun.

-jk

#336656 - 01/09/2010 16:56 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Get a Canon IXUS camera. I've had one for years and could not be happier with it!

#336660 - 01/09/2010 17:15 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: BartDG]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Originally Posted By: Archeon
Get a Canon IXUS camera. I've had one for years and could not be happier with it!

He already has one, the SD1000.

#336672 - 01/09/2010 18:18 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Then don't waste your time on the Olympus. Their P&S cameras have very few manual controls.

I suppose it could carry over, but I'm not talking about their P&S cameras...

Ah, didn't see the link. The one you're looking at does have all the manual controls.

#336693 - 02/09/2010 05:38 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: hybrid8]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: hybrid8

He already has one, the SD1000.

blush
Well, get another one then! grin

#336698 - 02/09/2010 10:57 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

blush
Well, get another one then! grin

Frankly there's no reason to! smile I think it's a really good P&S camera, and we'll still be taking it on our trip just to have such a tiny camera on us at all times (my wife will probably throw it in her purse when we go to dinner and things like that). But it still can't take pictures as well as any DSLR...

#336710 - 02/09/2010 15:01 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I wrote a long-ish document on this very topic last November.

My general advice is to get a Panasonic LX3/LX5 or Canon S90/S95.

#336776 - 06/09/2010 12:14 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: DWallach]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Originally Posted By: DWallach
My general advice is to get a Panasonic LX3/LX5 or Canon S90/S95.

I bought an LX3 fairly recently and have been extremely happy with it. There is a lovely tactile feeling when taking photos with it, its great. I did look long and hard at the S90 but in the end chose the Lumix with a wide 24mm Lens rather than the Canon's 28mm. The retractable lens on the Canon to actually allow you to put it in your pocket made it quite a tough decision though.

#336823 - 07/09/2010 14:40 Re: Trading up from a point and shoot [Re: sein]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I just got the new LX5 and also was able to spend some time with an S90. The LX5's new scroll wheel on the back partly fixes the #1 usability bug with the LX3, namely the inscrutable decision of which joystick to use for what.

Comparing the LX5 to the S90, one difference immediately came out: the LX5 has a much better macro feature. The LX5 can happily shoot one inch across, while the S90 can't go much smaller than two inches.