Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#344141 - 10/04/2011 19:47 Dell 2005FPW backlight repair
drakino
carpal tunnel

Anyone here attempted a backlight repair on a 2005FPW (or other Dell models from the 2005 year like the 2405?). I've got one that I still would like to keep working. The symptoms mine started showing last year was a weakness in the backlight when powering on, sometimes flickering for a few moments before stabilizing. Recently, it started just turning the backlight off completely after the monitor had been on for about 10 minutes. If it was powered off for a while, the backlight would work again for another bit of time. Last time I tried to turn the monitor on, I heard a slight hiss, and immediately pulled the power cord. I didn't smell anything specific to indicate a capacitor failing, so I'm not sure where the hiss came from.

Not sure if the symptoms point to a direct CCFL issue, or the power supply for the backlight. I'll try to tear apart the case and inspect for any obvious issues here in a bit.

#344144 - 11/04/2011 04:09 Re: Dell 2005FPW backlight repair [Re: drakino]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
May well need the electrolytic capacitors in the power section replaced. Common failure item, and not expensive.

Replacing capacitors involves soldering.