Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#349568 - 21/12/2011 00:56 Harmony remote battery problems
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Just discovered the battery in my Harmony One had swelled. Didn't rupture. Barely managed to remove it. Required some prying and a pair of channel locks.

Battery was nearly double the original thickness. This seems to be a common problem based on the thread in logitech's support forum.

So all here with Harmony remotes would be wise to check out their batteries.

#349569 - 21/12/2011 01:13 Re: Harmony remote battery problems [Re: gbeer]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Thanks for the heads-up. My parents have a Harmony One that I'll have to check out over the holiday. I have a couple Harmony 700s which came with AA Eneloops. No problems here.

#349571 - 21/12/2011 05:33 Re: Harmony remote battery problems [Re: robricc]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Hi,

I was working on one I bought second hand tonight. It had a display problem (not the dark area - cracked - problem many have).

I totally disassembled it and luckily, my battery was normal. I put a 3 hour charge on it and it seems okay, though it did swell about approximately 0.125 inch at the peak. That's about what they showed on the website. I guess I will keep an eye on it now that I know there could be a problem with it. Sometimes this happens with over-charging (over-voltage), and temperature. I have seen Aluminum package CDE flat-pack capacitors do the same thing. That's one of the reasons why CDE also made the component in a steel package - to reduce the swelling and damage to the capacitor mounting.

Thanks for the heads-up.

By the way, the display problem worked out to being what I think was just a MASTER RESET when I removed the battery from the enclosure. Once I reconnected the battery, I had response from the display. It still has some loss of pixel artifacts, but is quite usable now. The directions on the Web were essential (very concise), in disassembling the remote - very easy if you know how.

And yes, the Harmony One has a device for the Empeg RioCar Mk2 under the Music Server Devices for those that might be curious. Some of the functions seem to be mixed-up though, I will have to straighten them out somehow.

Ross