Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#355348 - 04/10/2012 06:40 TomTom released its Android app today
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Just thought this would be of interest to some...

#355350 - 04/10/2012 07:11 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: BartDG]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
$80 vs Google Maps/Navigation for free is a fairly tough ask when it works so well. I see that's Europe. $52 for me for Australia.

True Google doesn't have offline navigation which isn't great if you're roaming and can't use data cheaply.

I presume that is truly lifetime updates? None of this 3 year lifetime stuff.

Edit: Not compatible with Galaxy SIII (stock rom). WTF?

Edited by Shonky (04/10/2012 07:14)
Edit Reason: SGSIII incompatible?
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#355351 - 04/10/2012 07:33 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: Shonky]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Shonky
Edit: Not compatible with Galaxy SIII (stock rom). WTF?

This. Also Nexus 7.

#355355 - 04/10/2012 09:57 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: Roger]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
According to TomTom, the app isn't compatible with smartphones that use a screen resolution of 1280x720 pixels. Support for that resolution should be released before the end of the year. The app should work without a problem on all Android phones with 800x480 displays.

It seems some people received a Galaxy S3 incompatible warning, while other have not. Some even managed to get it running on their S3. TomTom has not yet provided any explanation as to how or why this seemingly random phenomenon occurs.

#355357 - 04/10/2012 11:26 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: BartDG]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Compared to Google maps, TomTom would be a bargain at $200.

IMO, this is a big deal for Android, as this is one of the biggest apps to come along and further validate it as a legitimate first-tier software platform.

#355360 - 04/10/2012 11:40 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The use TomTom has for me during my trip is more routing options. On days I have more riding time to get to my destination, I flip it to "winding roads" mode. This also exposes the benefit of offline modes, as a lot of these winding routes have been in very limited cell reception areas.

Google Navigate (and iOS 6's navigation) offer best time routing only, with usually one or two slight alternate routes. For road trips, this means boring, but fast interstates. Not the greatest when on a two wheeled adventure smile

I'm not thrilled with the TomTom interface, but the data and routing has been solid so far. Prior to using smartphones for navigation, I used Garmin products in the past.

#355361 - 04/10/2012 11:42 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

TomTom's last update for iOS added the ability to customize the menus by moving items around and hiding unwanted ones. This goes a long way to improving the UI and, for me, putting things in more sensible locations in the menu hierarchy.

I currently have the North American app which I bought on sale for $40.

Edited by hybrid8 (04/10/2012 11:43)

#355363 - 04/10/2012 11:53 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Archeon
According to TomTom, the app isn't compatible with smartphones that use a screen resolution of 1280x720 pixels.

Duh. That rules out the current "reference platform" for Android (Galaxy Nexus), the Google Nexus 7 tablet, and the most popular smartphone on the planet, the S-III.

Smart. Getting there, I guess, but not quite.

Cheers

#355364 - 04/10/2012 12:06 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

They really should have concentrated on making the app resolution independent, because this is going to cause them (and customers) all kinds of headaches going forward.

#355401 - 05/10/2012 11:49 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: drakino]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Originally Posted By: drakino
The use TomTom has for me during my trip is more routing options.

Yes, the biggest drawback of Google Maps is that you can't tell it to avoid certain routes, or prefer a certain road. Eg. If I know a certain route will be a nightmare it is very hard to force it to avoid that route, you end up needing to navigate to one place and then create another journey when you get there.

$80 vs Google Maps/Navigation for free is a fairly tough ask when it works so well. I see that's Europe. $52 for me for Australia.

It's £30.99 for UK & Ireland which is a good deal, or £39.99 for Western Europe which would cover everywhere the typical UK driver might go.

#355405 - 05/10/2012 12:47 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: g_attrill]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Interestingly, the TomTom Android app doesn't look anything like the iOS version. Not in either landscape nor portrait while navigating nor using its menus.

The pricing on Android seems to be better than regular price on iOS as well. Maybe it's an introductory pricing. Engadget also mentions a TomTom North America app which I've never seen on iOS - we only have Canada+US, with Mexico in its own app.

#355661 - 13/10/2012 18:23 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: Shonky]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant

True Google doesn't have offline navigation which isn't great if you're roaming and can't use data cheaply.

Not true.
A few other navigation app efforts were sorting out map caching, so Google pretty much had to join in. Check your settings for options.

I haven't used it yet, but it's there.

#355665 - 14/10/2012 02:12 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: Robotic]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Originally Posted By: Robotic

Not true.
A few other navigation app efforts were sorting out map caching, so Google pretty much had to join in. Check your settings for options.

You can cache the map but you can't get directions unless you have a connection. I have been finding having the map cached does make it run faster though.

Matt

#355668 - 14/10/2012 12:03 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Unless you have the entire map datum on your device plus the navigation engine, then the solution isn't really "offline." If you have to pre-plan your route, then cache the data, that's not quite the same thing and nowhere near as versatile. I reroute at least 50% of the time I'm using GPS navigation.

#355669 - 14/10/2012 13:18 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I reroute at least 50% of the time I'm using GPS navigation.
So do I... but never on purpose!

You have to be crazy to drive in Guadalajara, but that's no problem, because you'll be crazy about twenty minutes in even if you were perfectly sane to begin with.

The only thing that makes it possible is that when (not if, but when I miss a turn, the Tom Tom quietly recalculates a new route for me. Someone who has spent years driving in Guadalajara can drive "seat of the pants", but I can't. Even with the Garmin that I had before getting the Tom Tom I couldn't.

For example, going into a Glorieta (known as a Roundabout in other parts of the world) the Garmin would tell me "Turn left on Calle Perez". Well, that Glorieta might have seven exits, NONE of them signed. Good luck with that. The Tom Tom, by contrast, puts up a full-screen diagram of the Glorieta on-screen, with an arrow-headed gold line showing the route through it, and an audible instruction along the lines of "Enter the traffic circle, take the third exit onto Perez street", and displays a triangle indicating where my car is positioned within the circle at that moment.

Before the Tom Tom, driving in Guadalajara involved screaming fights with SWMBO, who would be telling me "Get in the right lane" while I was explaining to her that the madman driving the bus overtaking us in the right lane had a different scenario in mind.

Both the Garmin and the Tom Tom sometimes tell us to make a left turn across a divided road, or to turn against traffic on a one-way street. I have learned to just relax and go with the flow, always allow an extra half hour to get to my destination, secure in the knowledge that if I just do what it tells me as best I can, I'll get there eventually.

I have actually worked out a contingency plan for getting out of the city should my GPS ever fail me in mid-drive, involving paying a taxi driver to let me follow him to the airport, from which I know how to get home.

I don't go into Guadalajara if I don't have to.

tanstaafl.

#355671 - 14/10/2012 17:46 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: msaeger]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: msaeger
Originally Posted By: Robotic

Not true.

You can cache the map but you can't get directions unless you have a connection. I have been finding having the map cached does make it run faster though.

Ah, so! Thanks for the info.

#355675 - 14/10/2012 21:26 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tanstaafl.]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
So do I... but never on purpose!

You have to be crazy to drive in Guadalajara, but that's no problem, because you'll be crazy about twenty minutes in even if you were perfectly sane to begin with.

I'll have to pick your brain about this sometime. It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be moving to GDL for my next term. It's a couple years away at this point, since I'll have a home assignment and then language school first. We'll be there in March for a visit though.

#355688 - 16/10/2012 00:42 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
You actually use the Garmin and Tomtom at the same time? That must be truly crazy.

I can just imagine, one in English, the other babbling in Spanish. Oh my!

#355697 - 16/10/2012 11:36 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
You actually use the Garmin and Tomtom at the same time? That must be truly crazy.

I can just imagine, one in English, the other babbling in Spanish. Oh my!
No, nothing so fun as that.

The Tom Tom replaced the Garmin, and I both of them are in English.

The Tom Tom was the cheapest model, actually a discontinued model purchased from (I think) J&R (Amazon, maybe?) for about $70. The Garmin has better (i.e., more complete and up to date) maps, but the UI of the Tom Tom is so superior that the Garmin now just gathers dust in a drawer. Somewhere. Not even sure I could find it now.

Of course, things change, and three years later perhaps the new Garmins are better than my old Tom Tom, or even the new ones. I dunno, the Tom Tom serves my purposes very well.

tanstaafl.

#355698 - 16/10/2012 11:37 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: JBjorgen]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
We'll be there in March for a visit though.
And we'll (SWMBO and I) will be expecting you to drop by for a visit. We're less than 40 miles South of Guadalajara.

tanstaafl.

#355699 - 16/10/2012 12:24 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
crazy
garmin: in 300 feet turn left.
Tomtom: no, it's 200 feet and a turn to the right.
Garmin: it's a one way street, Turn left!
Tomtom: Don't listen to him, that is so last week, he needs an update.
Turn right in... Err... Recalculating...

#355707 - 16/10/2012 14:57 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: gbeer]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I spend a lot of time swearing at my GPS, I've always thought it'd be cool if it swore back at me

#355710 - 16/10/2012 16:50 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tahir]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: tahir
I spend a lot of time swearing at my GPS, I've always thought it'd be cool if it swore back at me

Tomtom has an Ozzie Osbourne voice...

#355713 - 16/10/2012 17:08 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tahir]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tahir
One thing I liked about the Garmin was that when it went into recalculating mode, it didn't have some bright, pixie-like voice saying something like "One moment please while I recalculate your route...".

Instead, there was this woman's voice, infinitely patient but clearly exasperated, saying just "Recalculating." But you have to hear it. It's "Reee-calculating" in a tone of voice that obviously implies that she is little put out at the extra work you are making her do because you were so incompetent as to miss the last turn.

Someone with a sense of humor did that one. Bet she didn't last long there...

tanstaafl.

#355729 - 17/10/2012 01:21 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Heh.. that same babe also has an interesting emphasis when she says "Route Cancelled".. kinda like a scolded child who knows she was right all along. smile

#355765 - 17/10/2012 21:00 Re: TomTom released its Android app today [Re: mlord]
Robotic
pooh-bah

I tried out several of the languages on my old Garmin and by far the bitchiest was the French voice.
Tournez Adroit! (you filth!)
Might fit well if you're into exotic dominatrixes. wink

The sexiest and most easy to listen to was the Swedish gal.