Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361655 - 12/05/2014 16:21 Switching windows on OS X?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
While we're talking about UI annoyances, here's one from me:

On OS X, how do I get Cmd-Tab to switch windows, not applications? That is: how do I switch from Chrome to my most-recently-used terminal window using the keyboard without bringing *every* terminal window to the front?

Or, in other words, how do I get the Windows behaviour? In particular, how do I get Cmd-Tab, release, Cmd-Tab to alternate between the top two windows?

#361656 - 12/05/2014 16:53 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Roger

On OS X, how do I get Cmd-Tab to switch windows, not applications? That is: how do I switch from Chrome to my most-recently-used terminal window using the keyboard without bringing *every* terminal window to the front?

Or, in other words, how do I get the Windows behaviour? In particular, how do I get Cmd-Tab, release, Cmd-Tab to alternate between the top two windows?

I've never figured this one out, but would love to know the answer. AFAIK, OS X is strictly focused on applications, not windows. If you want one window of an application, you must want all of them. The only half-assed solution I've found is to minimize all the other windows from those two applications. The Mac UI drives me bonkers. :-p

#361658 - 12/05/2014 17:32 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: canuckInOR]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR

I've never figured this one out, but would love to know the answer. AFAIK, OS X is strictly focused on applications, not windows. If you want one window of an application, you must want all of them. The only half-assed solution I've found is to minimize all the other windows from those two applications. The Mac UI drives me bonkers. :-p
Don't forget about Command-H (Hide)

#361659 - 12/05/2014 17:48 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA

This was one of the many little irritations I had with OSX when I started using it on my laptop. I found an application which enabled another shortcut: Option+Tab, which switched between windows exactly like you would in Windows. When I get a chance, I'll get my Macbook out and figure out what the program is...

#361663 - 12/05/2014 18:26 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

#361664 - 12/05/2014 18:57 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: drakino

Ha! I'm pretty sure Witch is the one I'm using. I think it's fine.

#361671 - 13/05/2014 08:22 Re: Switching windows on OS X? [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I went with Contexts. Seems to do exactly what I want.