Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#362237 - 17/07/2014 01:56 OSX and Office
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

I'm looking at a MacBook Pro for a client of mine as a favor to another client (they know I'm not very experienced with Macs). The problem they're having is that none of the Microsoft Office applications will launch. When I first turn the computer on and click on the Word icon in the dock, it'll bounce for a while (about 10 seconds) and then stop without anything happening. If I click on it again, it will bounce once and nothing happens. If I click on another application like Excel, it'll bounce a couple times and stop, and then every other time it'll bounce once then stop.

The MacBook is running 10.7.5 and Office 2008. I don't have the installation discs for Office.

There's not a lot of information on this type of problem, but I've tried several of the suggestions I've found.

- ran a disc repair by booting into the Disk Utility
- ran "repair disc permissions"
- removed relevant plist files to make the program recreate them
- I even went through validating the fonts

So far I've struck out. I just can't get the application to launch. Any suggestions?

#362238 - 17/07/2014 03:10 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Open up Console (It's in Applications/Utilities, or runnable via Spotlight).

In Console, go to All Messages in the upper left to show everything at once.

Then launch an Office app and look for relevant errors in the Console log output.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/mac_os_x_using_console_to_troubleshoot_problems/

This is a pretty standard way to get more info to aid in troubleshooting a number of Mac issues. Similar to looking in Event Viewer in Windows.

Since this specific issue is with Microsoft Office, it should also have come with a Microsoft Update program. Make sure to fire that up and ensure they have the latest updates for Office.

#362239 - 17/07/2014 10:42 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Tom, it's good to know about that console (I spend a ton of time in event viewer).

Here's what I'm getting when I try to launch Word:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x26026].com.microsoft.Word[357]) Exited with code:1

Both of the numbers before and after the "com.microsoft.Word" part increase each time one of the Office apps is launched.

Unfortunately I don't see any sort of Office updater...

*edit*
I just tried creating a new admin account and launching Word from there. It crashed even quicker...

Edited by Dignan (17/07/2014 11:04)

#362240 - 17/07/2014 11:06 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dignan
... MacBook Pro
The MacBook is running 10.7.5 and Office 2008. I don't have the installation discs for Office.
Is there a reason the Mac OS has not been updated to a more current version?

#362241 - 17/07/2014 11:25 Re: OSX and Office [Re: K447]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: K447
Originally Posted By: Dignan
... MacBook Pro
Is there a reason the Mac OS has not been updated to a more current version?

I'm not sure, it's not mine smile I can do that but I'm not sure if the client wants it (though I don't know why they wouldn't).

#362244 - 17/07/2014 14:46 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Good call on creating a new account. That helps confirm it's nothing in the users account causing the problem.

The error you got from Console indicates Word is not even starting at all. So it's not a crash, it's a failure to launch issue.

"com.apple.launchd.peruser.501" is a user process, owned by user ID 501 (usually the first user ID on a Mac) that is responsible for launching any programs for the user. It's trying to start Word and failing. The numbers changing are a timestamp (I think), and a process ID (the 357) of trying to start the new process. Those aren't going to be relevant for any search results.

Exit code 1 though is a non 0 exit indicating a problem, but unfortunately not much to explain it.

There are a few possibilities I can think of:
- The app is damaged. Since nothing in Office is running, it's possibly a shared library (think DLL) with the damage.
- 3rd party security software may be causing a problem and blocking execution for some reason. I'd expect a log of such but no guarantees here.

Getting Office patched up may repair the damage. If you aren't seeing Microsoft Update around, you can download the patches manually. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads - down at the bottom is a not so useful 2008 link. It's out of support, and last update seems to be 12.3.6. If you find Word in the Finder, and do a Get Info on it (Command-I or under the File menu in Finder), it should show the version they currently have.

#362246 - 18/07/2014 01:58 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the help, Tom. Unfortunately my time with the laptop was up and I wasn't able to get it running again. I would have loved to try some of the things you suggest.

I think, however, that you're onto something with the security software. She had some sort of software on there (Mac Keeper, I think? I can't remember), and I didn't feel very confident about it.

#362247 - 18/07/2014 07:15 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Isn't Mac Keeper Spamware ???

Cheers

Cris

#362248 - 18/07/2014 10:52 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'll have to verify that that was the exact software she was using. If so, I'll advise her to remove it. Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with OSX software to look out for. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do anything to help her, but she seemed to really want it on there...

#362249 - 18/07/2014 16:50 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

It's also possible that this copy of Office was installed in some pirate fashion, so it doesn't have all its bits and parts where they belong.

#362251 - 20/07/2014 11:51 Re: OSX and Office [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
It's also possible that this copy of Office was installed in some pirate fashion, so it doesn't have all its bits and parts where they belong.

That wouldn't surprise me. She claims that the MacBook came with Office on it when she bought it, and that it didn't have any installation media. 2008 was never on the App Store, was it?

#362252 - 20/07/2014 13:46 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The only version of Office on the App Store is Office for iPad. Microsoft does have digital versions and defaulted to this for anyone buying from the Home Use Program. The download would be a .dmg file for the Mac, a sort of .iso equivalent.

Checking my NAS, the .dmg (or the CD if it was a physical disc) had an installer on it. Office 2004 had offered people the choice of using an installer, or dragging and dropping the apps they wanted.

#362255 - 21/07/2014 10:54 Re: OSX and Office [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
The only version of Office on the App Store is Office for iPad.

Are you sure? I could have sworn that I installed Office for Mac through the Mac App Store

#362256 - 21/07/2014 11:29 Re: OSX and Office [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Yes. Office for OSX is not in the App Store. OneNote and a few other bits and pieces are though.