Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#147664 - 09/03/2003 10:28 Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Hi guys. Here is a link for a video I produced for a local comedy troupe. Besides doing their web site, I'm actually no longer an active member of the group, but we finally finished editing it down to a web friendly size. The comedy troupe's name is Motor City Improv and they have a pretty good following. We've been approached by HBO and WB for material and everyone in this video is an alumni of Second City. Like I said, this is shameless self-promotion, but I'm not really with the group anymore (currently) and this is purely a fun hobby for me - I don't make any money from it. www.motoricityimprov.com/Rock&Roll101.mov . (We didn't pay the extra $10 a month fo streaming, so you have to wait for the thing to download - 9MB.)

The troupe is mainly an improv group, but several times a year they put together writen shows that consistantly sell out. This video is a scene we took from one of those shows and shot to DV. It was an all-out production with a 3 CCD 1/2" camera, light and sound crews, makeup, etc etc. It was an interesting process taking something writen for the live stage and adapting it to television. There are things I would change now, but I'm pretty proud for it being my first producing gig since college.

But I wanted to get your feedback on this video before we send the link to the 300 people on our mailing list and our server gets slammed. I can't change anything in the video now, but we have several others in the pipeline that are awaiting post-production so I can take your comments into those edit sessions. Be kind!

TRIVIA: The girl that walks in at the end of the video is Lesley Braden. She was in Dogma as "Kissing Girl". Remember the scene where one of the angels is watching people get off of the airplane? She is the one who after just having had an affair, gets off of the plane and kisses her husband. With the exception of automotive spots (we are in Detroit ) most of the work the other guys have done is regional so I don't think you'd recognize them.

EDIT: The link is not working for me now... I tested earlier and it was fine. And I see the file on the server, with proper case-sensitive spelling... any ideas? Could the hosting company have disabled it because it is an .mov file and I'm not paying for streaming?

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (09/03/2003 10:57)

#147665 - 09/03/2003 12:10 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Well, it was working for a short time until they realized that I'm not paying for streaming. I upgraded the hosting services. Now I have to learn how to make a "poster.mov" file and a few other things before I can share it with you guys... sigh.

#147666 - 09/03/2003 15:41 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Tip... Find a new host.

PM me for some recommendations in the "very affordable" range.

Bruno

#147667 - 10/03/2003 14:54 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Hehe, thanks Bruno. I'll see if I/we can get out of the 1-year deal we signed up for.

The link is working now, but not streaming. Can someone dl the file by "Save Target as.." and let me know what you think? Bonus points goes to the person who can guess the name of the metal band that plays.

#147668 - 10/03/2003 15:44 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
Brad,

your link to the file in the first message doesn't work, there appears to be an extra 'i' between motor and city in the URL.

The corrected link is http://www.motorcityimprov.com/Rock&Roll101.mov

#147669 - 10/03/2003 16:29 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: Chimaera]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Mark, thank you so much! So THAT'S why it wouldn't work! I'll call my shrink and cancel my next appointment.

#147670 - 10/03/2003 16:57 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Thats some pretty funny stuff. I liked it.
It was really well edited too.

You probably already spotted it but just in case you didnt, I did notice a typo in the credits.
It sez staring instead of starring.
Just so youse know.

#147671 - 10/03/2003 19:35 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: fusto]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

wow! I handed the credits to our editor but that's the only edit session that I wasn't there as producer for! Thanks for telling me, I'll be sure to have them fix it.

Thanks for the kind words .

#147672 - 11/03/2003 10:39 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
Brad,

No Problem. And I actually got around to watching it this morning, and they are pretty funny.

As for the shrink appointment, if you are planning to take the video camera and make the next vid, then I think you should still go.

#147673 - 13/03/2003 19:56 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: Chimaera]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Thanks again!

I finally have the thing streaming, but it's only working for Internet Explorer... any ideas? I can't get the play controls to work either... hmph.. getting closer.

http://www.motorcityimprov.com/video.htm Is the new link..

#147674 - 13/03/2003 19:58 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I finally have the thing streaming, but it's only working for Internet Explorer... any ideas?

It's streaming in Nescape too.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#147675 - 13/03/2003 20:01 Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - Funny? Video [Re: Heather]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Woohoo! Thanks Heater! I got the controls to work too!