Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#156697 - 22/04/2003 19:59 games database?
leftyfb
enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
ok, what i'm looking for is an online database a friend and I can update/edit. Basically we have a master list of games, some of which need to be marked as either have/tested, have/not tested/acquiring. Also like to add fields to each game for location(multiple entries) and media type.

Something along those lines. Now I have MySQL running on one of my servers here but can't seem to figure it out (having trouble creating a table). And even then, not sure how to access/update the database via web interface. Or if mysql is more than I need and there's something simpler out there.

Any ideas?

#156698 - 22/04/2003 20:15 Re: games database? [Re: leftyfb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
The MySQL online tutorial is actually quite good at explaining how to use it. Start here for your purposes.

I'm just starting to learn how to use MySQL and PHP and it's quite fun and not too hard. With some basic commands you can get stuff like what you're talking about up and running pretty quickly.

Also, do you have phpMyAdmin? it makes creating tables and such much easier.

#156699 - 23/04/2003 05:47 Re: games database? [Re: Dignan]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
DiGNAN did you start from scratch learning PHP or do you have a lot of programming experience? If someone were starting with just a little Pascal experience where would you point them?

Sorry about Hijacking the thread....

#156700 - 23/04/2003 10:19 Re: games database? [Re: revlmwest]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm starting from scratch now, after getting snipets of code from the very helpful people on this board, especially David. I don't think I'm the one to ask There's an online PHP manual, but it's pretty difficult to sort out. I'm sure someone else will be able to suggest a good starting place.