Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189865 - 18/11/2003 10:06 The Meatrix
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
The American agricultural industry has changed drastically over the past 20 years, using methods that improve profit margins, but endanger the health of the public while being unnecessarily cruel to the animals being raised.

Learn more, by entering The Meatrix.

--Dan.

#189866 - 18/11/2003 11:48 Re: The Meatrix [Re: djc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That is awesome. hahah.

#189867 - 18/11/2003 18:34 Re: The Meatrix [Re: djc]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
wow, I live in downtown Boston, and I guess there is only one place that I can go to buy foods that are 'Meatrix Safe' according to eatwellguide.com.

Give me a fucking break. You try comming up with a plan to feed 270 million overweight Americans. Guess what? It involves factory farming. It's called efficiency.

#189868 - 18/11/2003 18:47 Re: The Meatrix [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I don't wanna get into this argument, but there's a lot more to it than that.. and a lot more issues than just where the meat is coming from... like where the meat goes and why.

#189869 - 19/11/2003 02:38 Re: The Meatrix [Re: ithoughti]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You try comming up with a plan to feed 270 million overweight Americans.

1. Don't feed them
2. Feed 270 million normal weight Americans. That should use less food.

#189870 - 19/11/2003 08:48 Re: The Meatrix [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I was feeling particularly hostile yesterday. I guess I just can't stand PETA propaganda. They always make it seem like there are such easy solutions, when the situation is much more complicated.

On the surface, the site was funny though.

#189871 - 19/11/2003 09:21 Re: The Meatrix [Re: djc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I don’t want to get involved much in this discussion, but I do have one small question. Why do all of the restaurants I frequent always offer such large portions? Does everyone eat more than I do, or are they simply trying to overfeed us? I almost never finish everything on my plate when I go out to eat, and when I do I always feel that I’ve overeaten. I’m sure that I could probably deal with portions 1/3 or ½ the size I usually get. My only guess is that larger portions allow restaurants to charge more and make bigger profits (economy of scale: since the preparation cost is the same, you can probably make a bigger profit for a larger piece of meat, pasta, or whatever).

I only bring this up because it absolutely amazes me how much food is wasted (or at least unnecessary) when I go out to eat. We almost never waste food when we eat at home, and I hate paying for food that I don’t eat, especially when I know people are starving in other countries (I can hear my mother saying it right now). Many times I overeat when I go out because I loathe paying for stuff I don’t use.

BTW: it seems the "Meatrix" plot makes a lot more sense that the "Matrix" one did!

#189872 - 19/11/2003 09:51 Re: The Meatrix [Re: ithoughti]
djc
enthusiast

Matt- I thought the site was funny, too. As Al Franken would say, though, it's "kidding on the square".

I'm not a vegetarian, and I'm not what you might call a "PETA freak", but the more I read about our food supply, the more concerned I have become. You may be perfectly happy with the meat produced by factory farms, but I really do think that the hormones, antibiotics, etc that get pumped into the animals cannot be good for our long-term health. If anyone is interested in a good book on the topic, check out Dominion, by Matthew Scully.

And are you really comfortable with the methods of factory farming? Or does it maybe make you a little squeamish, but you'd rather not think too much about it? Not to go too much off on a tangent, but I frankly of tired of big business "maximizing shareholder value" by cutting costs to the bone, sacrificing quality, exploiting people and resources, and eliminating competition. I've always been a fan of the low-volume, high-quality approach, whether we're talking about chickens, operating systems or MP3 players. I always root for the little guy, and I like to vote with my wallet.

Besides, I love to cook, and I love to eat. If you've ever had the opportunity to try meat grown with more traditional methods, the difference in flavor is amazing. Try a pork chop from the Niman Ranch sometime, and see if you're happy buying the stuff from the local supermarket anymore.

--Dan.

#189873 - 19/11/2003 09:59 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
djc
enthusiast

Jeff- I think you hit the nail on the head regarding portion size:

My only guess is that larger portions allow restaurants to charge more and make bigger profits (economy of scale: since the preparation cost is the same, you can probably make a bigger profit for a larger piece of meat, pasta, or whatever).
From a marketing standpoint, restaurants don't want a reputation of providing stingy portions (even if it's a minority opinion). Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm never going back to that restaurant, they give you too much food for your money"?

And how many Americans were raised to "clean your plate" when you eat? I think those two factors (large portion size and guilt over wasted food) are largely responsible for our level of obesity. Oh, and maybe the types of food we are conditioned to eat has something to do with it, too.

--Dan.

#189874 - 19/11/2003 10:18 Re: The Meatrix [Re: djc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm never going back to that restaurant, they give you too much food for your money"?
Not many, but it has been a reoccurring discussion among the “lunch bunch” here at work- Admittedly I’m generally the start of these, though.

My wife and I used to frequent one restaurant for the sole reason that they had a very reasonably priced menu of “smaller” items. Where most of the entrees were $6-$8 (which is what I would order), my wife would order of the $4-$5 menu and get a smaller portion. This is the only instance I can recall of my wife ever finishing her plate in a restaurant; she usually only ever gets about halfway through whatever she orders. This irritates me so much because I feel like I’m wasting money, but really there aren’t any options. Recently this restaurant got rid of these “smaller” items and now we hardly ever eat there.

#189875 - 19/11/2003 11:30 Re: The Meatrix [Re: djc]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Besides, I love to cook, and I love to eat. If you've ever had the opportunity to try meat grown with more traditional methods, the difference in flavor is amazing. Try a pork chop from the Niman Ranch sometime, and see if you're happy buying the stuff from the local supermarket anymore.
Perhaps Jabz, Burdell1 and friends can chime in more on this, but I was in New Zealand recently for a friend's wedding, and I was amazed at the quality of ordinary meat bought inexpensively from ordinary supermarkets. I guess it's hard to tell how much of that is due to valuing good-quality preparation as opposed to valuing good-quality farming, but I suspect both play their part. New Zealanders, as far as I can see, have an obsession with healthy eating that borders on the unhealthy -- and if a whole nation demands meat of that quality, all the supermarkets are going to be supplying it. So it doesn't have to be the way PETA describe, although I guess NZ has a much better pasture-to-population ratio than the US, which must make things easier.

The big beef joint at the wedding-reception buffet was so good that I asked one of the caterers what they'd done to make it taste that good. "This is New Zealand", he said, with a sympathetic grin, "it just comes that way here."

Peter

#189876 - 19/11/2003 11:38 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I only bring this up because it absolutely amazes me how much food is wasted (or at least unnecessary) when I go out to eat. We almost never waste food when we eat at home, and I hate paying for food that I don’t eat, especially when I know people are starving in other countries (I can hear my mother saying it right now). Many times I overeat when I go out because I loathe paying for stuff I don’t use.
How about the marvelous invention called the doggie bag? If you can truly deal with portions 1/3 or 1/2 the size, that says to me that if you brought the excess home with you, you could have leftovers the next night, or at least for lunch the next day. The way I see it, when I go out to Outback Steakhouse or TGI Fridays, I expect to take something home. If people actually throw out 2/3 or 1/2 of their meal, then I don't blame the restaurant, I blame the customer for not being sensible enough to bring the food home.

#189877 - 19/11/2003 11:44 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Does everyone eat more than I do, or are they simply trying to overfeed us?
We've met before, so I know what you look like. Our proportions are MUCH different. There is a reason. I eat like a slob and always clean my plate. You probably eat like a human was designed to.

Whatever. It's all good.

#189878 - 19/11/2003 11:49 Re: The Meatrix [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

How about the marvelous invention called the doggie bag?
Yeah, but a lot of restaurant stuff doesn’t reheat well at all. Ever try reheating an alfredo sauce? Yuck, you get oil everywhere. I’d rather the restaurant simply give me a reasonable portion to begin with.

As for Outback, they actually get points in my book for the “Outback Special” which is an extremely reasonably priced steak that really isn’t too big. Half the time I finish it at the restaurant. The rest of the time I do, in fact, take it home and reheat it. But most of the time I feel restaurant food just isn’t that good reheated.

If people actually throw out 2/3 or 1/2 of their meal, then I don't blame the restaurant, I blame the customer for not being sensible enough to bring the food home.
Well I blame the restaurant. Why not offer me something in a portion I want to eat? Why force me to buy more than I wanted in the first place? If I want to get a better bargain and take stuff home, then give me the option, but don’t assume that’s what I want.

#189879 - 19/11/2003 11:50 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Why not offer me something in a portion I want to eat?
It's called the Happy Meal.

#189880 - 19/11/2003 12:01 Re: The Meatrix [Re: robricc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

It's called the Happy Meal.
True enough! McDonalds and other fast food "restaurants" don't bother me with their portion sizes. They do a better job than anyone of allowing you do order rational portions of food. They have a completely different issue!

Edited by FerretBoy (19/11/2003 12:02)

#189881 - 19/11/2003 12:04 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
They do a better job than anyone of allowing you do order rational portions of food.
While simultaneously asking if you want to super-size it for fifty cents more. Argh.

At every fast food restaurant, I have to be extra-clear with the person behind the counter... "No, just the sandwich. No, I do NOT want the combo meal with the fries. No, I do not want the large coke for ten cents more..."

#189882 - 19/11/2003 12:34 Re: The Meatrix [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
No, I do not want the large coke for ten cents more
I have the opposite problem with one fast food joint I go to (Bojangles'). I have to specifically request light ice. If I don't, they basically fill up the cup with ice, then put soda in it, which means you get about three drams worth of beverage. And they used to charge, albeit less than full price, for refills.

Otherwise, I agree with pretty much everything else in this thread. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

#189883 - 19/11/2003 12:34 Re: The Meatrix [Re: robricc]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
There is a reason. I eat like a slob and always clean my plate.

Agreed. If the restaurant feeds me like I am a 80 pound anorexic supermodel I'm not going back. Of course there is nothing wrong with restaurants that offer regular human meals as well as larger portioned options.
-Mike

#189884 - 19/11/2003 12:37 Re: The Meatrix [Re: mcomb]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
restaurants that offer regular human meals

ive heard the inner thigh is very tender

#189885 - 19/11/2003 12:54 Re: The Meatrix [Re: RobotCaleb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
ive heard the inner thigh is very tender
... and tastes like chicken...

#189886 - 19/11/2003 12:56 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Why do all of the restaurants I frequent always offer such large portions?

Because you're in Texas, Bubba...

#189887 - 19/11/2003 13:21 Re: The Meatrix [Re: davec]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Because you're in Texas, Bubba...

Like here

#189888 - 19/11/2003 14:00 Re: The Meatrix [Re: JeffS]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
You know, my girlfriend and I were in Tokyo in July. All the restaurants we went to were able to do something that most people (from America) will tell you isn't possible to do:

They gave us just the right amount of food to take us from the state of being "hungry" to the state of being "not hungry".

There was no food left over. There was no need to ask for more. Like Goldilocks said, it was "just right".

If most of my fellow Americans are content to be tricked into satisfaction ("What a great deal! Huge portions!") by paying for too much food, they can have at it. I myself never thought "Gee, this is way too much food for me. Thank GOD for this great restaurant!". I also don't weigh twice what I should, because I know that the point of eating is to stop being hungry, not to "clean my plate" or "get what I pay for".

That being said, I think the food industry in general is too complicated a subject to simplify down to "All the big corporations are bad and the little guys would be better". I agree that assembly-line beef is a disturbing thought, but I have a brother-in-law who grew up on a family farm; his view on animals is far more disturbing in the long run.....

I think we just need to have the scientists stop worrying about what's gonna happen 8,127,878,256 years from now and start perfecting the "artificial meat" process.

Then we can have PETA bitching about the fact that nobody has anywhere to put all the animals we aren't killing and eating.

#189889 - 19/11/2003 22:40 Re: The Meatrix [Re: webroach]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Reminds me of this onion clip.

#189890 - 20/11/2003 03:05 Re: The Meatrix [Re: webroach]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
start perfecting the "artificial meat" process

The problem with this is that they'll just make something protein-filled and nutritious, like Tofu or something.

And I'm not eating it unless they can make it the same taste and texture as a good steak.

#189891 - 20/11/2003 03:37 Re: The Meatrix [Re: wfaulk]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
you usually get refills with all beverages? I thought that would only be on coffee...
We have refills only at McDonalds and Burger King, and only for coffee on breakfast.

cheers, Thomas

#189892 - 20/11/2003 07:50 Re: The Meatrix [Re: Roger]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Soylent green is PEOPLE!

-Zeke

#189893 - 20/11/2003 10:11 Re: The Meatrix [Re: speedy67]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
you usually get refills with all beverages?
The vast majority of restaurants around here, from fast food to fine dining, offer free refills on sodas, coffee, and tea. Not on juices or ades (when they have them) or alcoholic beverages.

#189894 - 20/11/2003 11:01 Re: The Meatrix [Re: wfaulk]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
nor alcoholic beverages.

Ummm... Beer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >