Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#191071 - 29/11/2003 11:41 Baseball collectors?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
A family friend is asking me to help him sell his baseball collection. He wants to do ebay, but I'm not sure if that's the best place to sell this stuff. Would it be better to sell it in a more baseball-focused venue? It seems to me that baseball stuff is one of the most collected stuff, so it might be better to sell it elsewhere. I'm just curious what people who know more about this stuff think. I don't know much about baseball, so I can't really judge the current ebay auctions.

I do know that he has a whole lot of stuff. He's got a ball with signatrures from the living members of the 500 home run club (actually, he doesn't have Sosa or McGwire).

So, what do you folks think?

#191072 - 29/11/2003 12:50 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd say eBay is a good idea, as it really is a seller's market, with the exception of having to deal with potentially unethical types, and the seller has the upper hand there, too. I'd say to make sure he puts a lower limit on the selling price. But if he takes it to a dealer, he's not going to get more than 50% or so of the items' real values. In fact, probably less than that, as the dealer will probably offer to buy the lot at a specific price, valuing some things low or nil so he can get the prize items.

Note that I am not an expert on baseball collectibles, but do have a lot of experience with other collectibles, mostly comics and non-sport collectible cards, albeit before eBay came around.

#191073 - 29/11/2003 13:15 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks. I think my biggest obstacle is going to be over-optimistic expectations on the part of the seller. He thinks he can get $10,000 for the lot. I say great, since he's offered to give me 10% for my help. However, I think that figure is very unrealistic.

#191074 - 29/11/2003 13:23 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: Dignan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I agree eBay is perfect. Offer items internationally to ensure maximum exposure and be careful not to flood the market - auction only a few items at a time would be my advice.

#191075 - 29/11/2003 19:19 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: Dignan]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I don't know anything about collectibles but a colleague sells a lot of collectible cards and music items on ebay and he says it certainly makes more than disposing of it anywhere else and the odd item goes for twenty times more than he expected.

I would recommend getting properly secure payment for the valuable stuff and take good photos of *everything* you sell and research the titles and phrases that get the best results.

Gareth

#191076 - 01/12/2003 07:19 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: Dignan]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I don't collect cards anymore, but nowdays it seems that the graded and cards numbered with a "serial number" are more in demand and get better recognition as legit. I don't know of the cost to so this, but it may be worthwhile on the more valuable items. They are graded and placed in protective sheaths. The grading is pretty much widely recognized by collectors as a standard.
I had my complete sets (1980's & 90's) of cards stolen from my mother's house recently. Unopened full sets with rookie cards of the likes or McGuire, Sosa, Ricky Henderson, etc. Plus my Johnny Bench rookie card, but they left the 65 Yaz... Fools. Up in (crack) smoke they went...
eBay will get the most money in many cases, prey on the emotional bidder... The one that *has* to have it... Offer up the good stuff just in time for Xmas...

#191077 - 01/12/2003 07:30 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: davec]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Make sure you let them know that the bid will end in time, and that (with electronic payment) you will overnight it for Christmas as well. Even offer to pre-wrap it for the buyer - you never know what will grab someone's attention.

#191078 - 01/12/2003 14:53 Re: Baseball collectors? [Re: pgrzelak]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, I'll mention those to the seller and see what he thinks.

Dave: thanks, but his collection is actually 90% baseballs. He only has a few cards. I'll post a picture of his bookshelf soon.