Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#202953 - 06/02/2004 22:09 New Albums
dalewoodian
stranger

Loc: Meridian MS
If any of you like punk rock bands check out Red Tape
www.redtapearmy.com/radioactivist

also if any of you like metal or hardcore check out
http://www.roadrun.com/roots/

Also check out www.roadrunnerrecords.com for a whole lot more of info, free MP3 downloads and more.

Let me know what ya think about em!!

#202954 - 07/02/2004 02:31 Re: New Albums [Re: dalewoodian]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Somewhat hijacking, but here's some suggestions I can strike out with again:

Here Comes That Weird Chill ~ Mark Lanegan
- my absolute favorite artist of all time. this is just an EP preparing for a full lenght album, but it's very good. However, it's different from his previous stuff. For an example of the quieter stuff, I'd strongly suggest checking out my current favorite track, "Praying Ground" from this album.

Blackberry Belle ~ The Twilight Singers
- bordering on emo, which I'm not a fan of, but still very good.

Not completely new, but I've been listening to it a lot recently:

Since We've Become Translucent ~ Mudhoney
- fans may disagree with me, but I think their latest is one of their best. Insanely catchy riffs, heavy sarcasm, "and now, with horns!", it's great Mudhoney.

So there's my suggestions, despite the fact that nearly 100% of my previous suggestions have bombed on this board

ps- don't you hate it when you have to completely retype posts? I got some darn error message from the board and had to retype all these darn links and BBS tags after the browser forgot what I typed. that'll teach me for forgetting to block copy grrr

#202955 - 07/02/2004 03:40 Re: New Albums [Re: Dignan]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
The Mark Lanegan CDs should arrive in a week or so. I really like the sound of Little Sadie on I'll Take Care Of You. Not bad at all. I ordered in Scraps At Midnight
and I'll Take Care Of You. Thanks for taking another turn at bat

#202956 - 07/02/2004 10:21 Re: New Albums [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
FWIW, The Twilight Singers is the new(er) project of Greg Dulli, lead singer of the Afghan Whigs. I've got the first album and I though it was okay -- a little overly mellow. Is this one better?

#202957 - 07/02/2004 14:44 Re: New Albums [Re: Mach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Excellent! The I'll Take Care of You album is actually a cover album, but it's all in his style.

Bitt, I haven't really heard much of the first album or very much of the Afghan Whigs, for that matter, but this one is pretty good. You'll probably not like it any more than the other one, though AMG liked it better. Like I said, it borders on emo at moments, but IMO it's not as whiny and sappy as that genre can get, and it seems a little older (not 14 year old girl's diary-type lyrics). I got it initially because Mark Lanegan sings on the last track (he's the voice of the devil. excellent), and grew to like the other songs a lot. I'd recommend "Decatur St", "Esta Noche", and "Teenage Wasteland" (yeah, "teenage", but akin in feel to "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins).

But basically, it's very mellow, so probably much like your impressions of the first album.