Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209512 - 15/03/2004 18:20 TV Grounding problems?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I watch a lot of video via the video out on my Radeon to my TV. It's much nicer to lie in bed and watch all my TV shows than at my desk. But I'd like to fix some small annoyances.

When my TV is in its input mode, I start getting odd effects in the video, and a buzz in the audio. The video is where there's faint bars or light horizontal sections slowly moving up the screen. It's hard to explain. The buzz is just a buzz. It gets louder when the volume is increased.

My friend and I took a guess (we're no electricians) and concluded that it was because the signal wasn't grounded. Is this correct?

Anyways, I got a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack (I'll use it on my empeg aux inputs too), and tried it out. It worked perfectly for the audio. I tried the video just to be sure, but that didn't work. So, I'm happy the buzz is gone. That was more annoying. But is there anything I can do about the video?

Thanks for the help.

#209513 - 16/03/2004 23:59 Re: TV Grounding problems? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No takers? More info: the effects are definitely a result of being connected to my PC. If the cables are removed, I get a clear black screen and zero buzz. Like I said, I'm not worried about the buzz anymore, but the video portion is a little annoying.

#209514 - 17/03/2004 11:27 Re: TV Grounding problems? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's clearly a ground loop, and as such, might be solvable by putting a ground lifter on one of the devices. Try each end. Try disconnecting every peripheral wire connected to that PC except the monitor. Etc.

#209515 - 17/03/2004 13:22 Re: TV Grounding problems? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks

Ground lifter? Where would I find one? Radio Shack? The ground loop isolator definitely did the trick on the audio. It also didn't matter where it was placed. I have the audio/video signal split to two devices at the moment. One to my TV and the other to the wireless video sender. I currently have the isolator before the split, and the buzz was eliminated on the wireless as well.

I tried disconnecting the wireless, the coax cable going into my video card, pretty much everything I could like you suggested. The video thing is still there.

#209516 - 17/03/2004 14:05 Re: TV Grounding problems? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I meant an adapter plug to change the AC plug from three prong to two prong.

Or, if you're already defeating the ground prong on any AC plugs, change it so that you're not any more.