Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#196037 - 05/01/2004 10:22 Audiovox Satellite Receiver
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I noticed that Audivox has come out with docking station for the Sirius Satellite Radio receiver that has a kit with RCA cables for the car.
Receiver and RCA kit

Anyone seen/used this particular system with an empeg?

#196038 - 05/01/2004 17:29 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I had one in my possession for a while but never used it

I wanted the Sirius tuner for a panasonic head unit and someone got me the audiovox unit instead. It's a neat idea because you could use it in the car and in the house and only have one subscription. The downside is you have to have that big thing sticking out of you dash.

There was some kind of free after rebate deal for the home dock if you buy the tuner and a car dock I don't know if it's still going though.

I got the panasonic tuner today and hope to be installing it shortly.

Matt

#196039 - 06/01/2004 10:40 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: msaeger]
davec
old hand

I ordered the Audiovox unit online from Circuit City, all the stores in Austin are out of stock, but have the RCA kit. Online the RCA kit is out of stock, but receiver is in stock. Go figure.
I want the RCA kit for direct connection to the empeg, I can't use the FM modulator since my FM output on my tuner is kapoot... (no sound)
I think the unit is a bit bulky, placement in the vehicle will be interesting... I'll report as soon as I get it installed.

#196040 - 18/01/2004 01:34 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

So did you get it installed ? I'm curious what you think of the sirius line up.

I am kinda dissapointed I pretty much listen to the rock category and I hear the same songs on many of the channels. Also the songs don't fit the channel many times.

Like they keep playing beatles songs on the left of center channel that is supposed to play inde / unsigned bands.

I like mostly punk and alternative and xm is adding a punk station and all the music streams will be commercial free feburary 1st so they are sounding pretty appealing but I don't want to buy more hardware and be dissapointed again.

Matt

#196041 - 18/01/2004 08:57 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: msaeger]
davec
old hand

Yep, it's installed. no pics yet because I don't like how it is set up, it's not permanent, the unit is bulkier than I originally thought so I'm having a hard time placing it where I like it.

I also noticed the same songs are played quite a bit on the other channels. Just as I was mentioning that to a friend, they actually played a GnR song other than "Patience" so I guess I need a little "patience" to see if the mix gets better.

I am a little disappointed in the music mix, but new streams come on line on January 19, so we'll see if it changes much. Most of the stuff I end up listening to is already on the empeg, though. I do like the comedy stream (Larry the Cable Guy is hilarious!) and the bluegrass stream. The Sirius Trucking Network is cool too when they're doing Q&A shows for long haul drivers. I spend most of the time on The Rock, The Vault, the 70's and the 80's.

For now, I'm glad I didn't pay for a year up front, if the mix doesn't get better, I may dump the whole thing. But I did go with Sirius because they picked up NFL games for next season, so I will have to stick around until then at least. The other reason, more commercial free stations, is not as big of a point now if XM is making more of theirs commercial free stations, though. I wasn't aware of that change.

Too bad I didn't have it before my road trip to Phoenix over the holidays. I'd have enjoyed some old radio shows on the long drive. I like the radio classics stream, but it's too hard to try to listen to it for a few minutes, you need to hear the whole show from the start, not good for the short drive to work, but the comedy stream prepares me for that hellhole...

#196042 - 18/01/2004 09:34 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I agree the old radio shows are fun also I like to listen to the A&E biography rebroadcast.

Matt

#196043 - 17/04/2004 11:24 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: davec]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Bringing up an semi-old thread, but I was looking at the Audiovox receivers at Circuit City yesterday, and $99 for the tuner and $49 for the car mount looks very good, are you still happy with it?

#196044 - 18/04/2004 14:18 Re: Audiovox Satellite Receiver [Re: BAKup]
davec
old hand

are you still happy with it?

Yep. I use the boombox more than the in car mount but I like it. Lots of the same songs over and over though, it seems, but the variety of other programs is worth it.