Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#230561 - 12/08/2004 18:46 ? For MS Excel Gurus
DBALKUNJR

I have a column of numbers that fills in when certain other conditions are met. I want to be able to display the last entry in that column in another area of the worksheet. So for example if 12 cells are in a column and as condtions are met, the cell below the last will fill in. I want that last cell with a value to display in another cell(call it D1), so D1 will update as each new entry is filled in the column.
Either I left my brain at home today or this is not as easy as it sounds. Any help?

MK2 12Gb
MK2a 60Gb

#230562 - 12/08/2004 18:51 Re: ? For MS Excel Gurus [Re: DBALKUNJR]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I have two ideas:

1. When the cell fills in (when your other conditions are met), in addition to filling in the cell, your conditional can also increment an address cell which is somewhere else. You use this address cell in your other location to figure out where your data is.

2. Use a delimiting value on your column, like "END", or something -- doesn't matter. Then, when your conditions are met, the next column value is written, as well as the delimiter in the next row of that column. Your display area, elsewhere in the page, can look for the END using a conditional, and display the results of the row above it.

There may be better ways with newer versions of Excel. My hard-core Excel days are a ways back...

FWIW,
Jim

#230563 - 13/08/2004 02:33 Re: ? For MS Excel Gurus [Re: DBALKUNJR]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
I have a column of numbers that fills in when certain other conditions are met.

So the sheet is logging values whenever some condition rings true.

How about this
=INDIRECT(("R"&COUNTA(A:A)&"C"&COLUMN(A1)),FALSE)

It works but, Column A has to be devoted to the log, the log has to start in the first row, and null values in the column can result in the address being short of the log bottom.

PS: I dosen't matter what is in the log it could even be ="" or ' , as long as the log entries don't leave empty cells. Of course, if you use a variant of this to fill the log there will never be a null cell because it will always point to the cell after the last.

Edited by gbeer (13/08/2004 03:22)