Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#239104 - 26/10/2004 22:15 georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Ahh, the joys of getting the wrong e-mail address. The .com address takes you to the candidate's actual web page. The .org address takes you to a parody of the candidate's web page.

That's all well and good, but then the .org people realized that they were saving all of the e-mail that they received, regardless of whether the recipient was actually for the .com or the .org site. So they posted everything they had online. Most of it isn't very interesting. Is the governor going to appear at this rally? Can you call me back about this fundraising opportunity? Etc. There was, however, something quite interesting that Greg Palast is now reporting, a "caging list" with thousands of names of Jacksonville (and surrounding areas) residents.

What, exactly, does "caging" mean? Maybe they're people who are supposed to be harassed by "challengers" at the polls.

Quote:
When asked by Newsnight for an explanation of the list, Republican spokespersons claim the list merely records returned mail from either fundraising solicitations or returned letters sent to newly registered voters to verify their addresses for purposes of mailing campaign literature.

Republican state campaign spokeswoman Mindy Tucker Fletcher stated the list was not put together "in order to create" a challenge list, but refused to say it would not be used in that manner.

#239105 - 27/10/2004 00:59 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That's awesome. What a ridiculously huge breach of confidentiality by the .org folks. I guess they can legally get away with it. Stinks to be the guy who e-mailed the big list.

#239106 - 27/10/2004 03:02 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: FireFox31]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
What a ridiculously huge breach of confidentiality by the .org folks.

How so? IANAL.... I think we of the e-mail age have a certain sense of etiquette -- like don't take something somebody here on the BBS PM'd and then post it in a forum, but....

If a guy dialed my phone number by mistake and left a message "Hey, Bob, call me at 555-5555 if you want to get in on that armored car job tomorrow", wouldn't I be obliged to do something with that?

Taking it further, if somebody send me an e-mail by mistake -- by flubbing the address -- what obligations do I have to keep that private? Sure, if it had information that I could abuse -- a bank account number or medical information -- there would be some moral if not legal obligation, but a "cage list"?

Oh, well, it is being reported by Greg Palast. Nobody here in the US will pay any attention. Just another pinko.

Besides, it's all about winning, isn't it?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#239107 - 27/10/2004 03:07 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: DWallach]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Oh, and more reporting from the left-wing media to help increase our confidence in the electoral process and our unequalled democracy.

#239108 - 27/10/2004 05:40 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
What a ridiculously huge breach of confidentiality by the .org folks.

How so? [...] if somebody send me an e-mail by mistake -- by flubbing the address -- what obligations do I have to keep that private? Sure, if it had information that I could abuse -- a bank account number or medical information -- there would be some moral if not legal obligation, but a "cage list"?

Well, there *are* all those silly disclaimers stuck on the bottom of email, nowadays, such as these taken from one of the emails on the site:

========================================================================
This message may contain confidential and privileged information. If it
has been sent to you in error, please reply to advise the sender of the
error and then immediately delete this message.
========================================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Modrall, Sperling, Roehl, Harris & Sisk, P.A.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic transmission in error, please delete it from your system
without copying it, and notify the sender by reply e-mail or by calling
505.848.1800, so that our address record can be corrected. Thank you.

Whether or not those riders mean anything legally, though, is a good question. They're annoying as all get out when they're longer than the message they're attached too, though.

#239109 - 27/10/2004 10:18 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: canuckInOR]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I read an article a few months back in either the NY Times or WSJ (can't remember now) that consisted of an attorney's opinion of those privacy footers. His professional opinion was that they mean exactly nothing in the eyes of the law. A few main points were: they sent it to you, you never consented to the agreement, therefore it means nothing. Further, if they messed up and put the wrong address that's their fault and doesn't bind you in any way. There was more to the article than that, but that's all I can remember at the moment. I'll see if I can find that link.

-Zeke

#239110 - 27/10/2004 11:41 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: Ezekiel]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Can anyone else still get to georgewbush.com

I just get this:

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.georgewbush.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

Edited by furtive (27/10/2004 11:59)

#239111 - 27/10/2004 12:00 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: furtive]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK

#239112 - 27/10/2004 14:12 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: furtive]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Apparently, if you replace www.georgewbush.com with georgewbush.com, then you can get around the (lame) attempt to keep you from consuming their bandwidth. Or, you could tack on an https to get a nice SSL connection (and get a nice certificate error message from Akamai, who's actually hosting the content now).

#239113 - 27/10/2004 14:15 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: DWallach]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the "caging" list could well be a list of local Republicans. You'd think Palast might have maybe called some of the people on the list to find out before coming out with his report. Naaah, too much work.

#239114 - 27/10/2004 14:33 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: FireFox31]
tman
carpal tunnel

Why is it a breach of confidentiality? The .org people never agreed to anything.

The disclaimers and privacy notes at the bottom of emails don't mean anything. It's perfectly legal to do whatever you want with the email if you receive it as you've not agreed with the disclaimers. They're basically there to scare people into complying.

They're nearly as useful as those stupid Outlook email revokation notices, you can choose to ignore them. I've received a few half finished emails and ones with extra parts they forgot to cut out. In one case, a company sent me a document containing all the proposed contract along with annotations about how they were intending to reverse engineer our product to make their own. Shame I've disabled the ability to revoke emails. Oops...

#239115 - 27/10/2004 23:11 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: DWallach]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Journalists, do research? Come on.

Well, at least he didn't first make up the list.

#239116 - 28/10/2004 00:25 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: Daria]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I know, hard to imagine. But I've heard rumours that Palast is one of those *real* journalists. I'm checking on this.

#239117 - 28/10/2004 03:12 Re: georgewbush.com vs. georgewbush.org [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:

I know, hard to imagine. But I've heard rumours that Palast is one of those *real* journalists. I'm checking on this.

There's a job waiting for you... in some industry other than journalism.