Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#240541 - 07/11/2004 00:01 USB RS232 adapter needed near LAX
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
As anyone who has spent any time travelling with me will confirm, my navigational skills away from home leave something to be desired. For this reason I usually book the Neverlost navigation option on Hertz rentals. This option is only available on mid size cars and up.

On my forthcoming trip to LA I will be travelling alone and probably not running up more than a hundred miles. It seemed a little excessive to book anything larger than a compact, and in any case the Focus is nicer to drive than a Taurus or other boat-like gas guzzler. On the down side, no navigation!

So, long story short (erm, well, short-ish), I need to connect a GPS unit which has a serial port to a laptop which does not. A USB to RS232 serial adapter is the answer, but I don't have one, can't find one locally, and I fly out on Monday morning. Does anyone know of a store near LAX where I might be able to pick one up?

Thanks

Rob

#240542 - 07/11/2004 01:21 Re: USB RS232 adapter needed near LAX [Re: rob]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Your best bets are either Radio Shack, which is a chain of small electronics/computer stores that have branches on every fricking corner here in L.A. including one almost on the airport property itself, CompUSA, which a chain of slightly larger computer stores but doesn't have one particularly close to the airport, or, your best bet, Fry's , a chain of huge computer superstores that does just happen to have one of its 5 areas stores really close to L.A.X. If you can't find it there, you can't find it anywhere.

Edited, Mapquest was giving wrong directions

Edited by ninti (07/11/2004 01:30)

#240543 - 07/11/2004 01:36 Re: USB RS232 adapter needed near LAX [Re: rob]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Best Buy also carries them, and they're pretty much everywhere these days. They're frequently in the PDA section as people used to use them to hook up palm cradles to laptops.

Matthew

#240544 - 07/11/2004 08:47 Re: USB RS232 adapter needed near LAX [Re: ninti]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Thanks, that Frys looks perfect. For some reason I thought Anaheim was the nearest store in LA - I guess I drove a bit further than necessary last time I was there!

Rob