Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#241704 - 16/11/2004 19:13 Intellectual Property Protection Act
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
ricin.us

#241705 - 16/11/2004 19:29 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: ricin]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
under the proposed law, skipping any commercials or promotional announcements would be prohibited . .

The Recording Industry Association of America vigorously defended the bill, saying it would provide a "common sense set of tools that will help law enforcement better deter and prosecute theft."

Because it's common sense that skipping commercials should be against the law . . .

#241706 - 16/11/2004 19:35 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: ricin]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Quote:
Intellectual Property Protection Act
Thoughts?

Your tax dollars at work- protecting corporations. Soon the day will come when FBI agents will burst into my house and seize my MythTV box and arrest me. Until then I'll enjoy my freedom.

#241707 - 16/11/2004 20:10 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Because it's common sense that skipping commercials should be against the law .

They can pry my two ReplayTVs with automatic commercial advance from my cold, dead fingers.

Oh yeah, and the FCC can suck it too for trying to take control of all computing devices.

#241708 - 16/11/2004 20:53 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I love US politics. You can have a gun - pretty much any gun - but don't skip comercials. And don't make a copy of that DVD.

It's all about the money. The gun lobbyists have it and the IP (Music/Movie) associations have it. Laws aren't made to be broken. They're made to get paid. Which really surprises me that smoking bans are going strong in many places. Though you won't likely see tobaco farming made illegal or any serious action against tobacco companies.

Bruno

#241709 - 17/11/2004 06:40 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
under the proposed law, skipping any commercials or promotional announcements would be prohibited
Because it's common sense that skipping commercials should be against the law . . .

Oh, dear. I'm in for it now. I don't have a TV, so I'm a non-stop commercial-skipping machine! I'm probably top of the RIAA/MPAA worst offender list.

On a more serious note, the apartment I'm in here has a TV, so I've been getting my yearly fill. I've now remembered two things: 1) there isn't much on TV that's really worth watching, and 2) gah! I HATE commercials (and if you think US commercials suck, man, you should see some of the commercials they air here in India). I wonder if there's a Tivo equivalent in India?

#241710 - 17/11/2004 07:53 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: hybrid8]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
I love US politics. You can have a gun - pretty much any gun - but don't skip comercials.

The logical conclusion is the future from The Space Merchants by Pohl & Kornbluth: advertising companies solving their disputes with the loser left with very few survivors

Quote:
It's all about the money. The gun lobbyists have it and the IP (Music/Movie) associations have it. Laws aren't made to be broken. They're made to get paid.

Yes, and this phenomenon does not recognise party lines: some of the worst poodles on RIAA/MPA payroll are Democrat congresspeople...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#241711 - 17/11/2004 11:44 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: canuckInOR]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
I wonder if there's a Tivo equivalent in India?

Not that I can find. I've checked for overseas use, as well.

#241712 - 17/11/2004 14:06 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: ricin]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Does anyone else find the justaposition of 'TV' and 'intellectual' to be oxymoronic?

-Zeke

#241713 - 18/11/2004 01:20 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: Ezekiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Does anyone else find the justaposition of 'TV' and 'intellectual' to be oxymoronic?

A bit snobbish, are we tonight?

There is some pretty darn good programming on television, even in my case where I do not have cable, but just four TV networks coming in through the antenna on my roof. (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) Oh, make it five: Forgot PBS, probably the best of all.

If you are not watching "The West Wing" then you are missing some truly superb TV -- great cast, fantastic screenwriting.

Another program that is surprisingly good is "Joan of Arcadia". (If I told you the premise of the show, you'd never, ever watch it, you'd dismiss it as completely corny without ever seeing it. You'd be wrong.)

On PBS, there's Nova, Scientific American Frontiers, Nature, among others.

And if I weren't such a cheapskate, I'd subscribe to cable and get The Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

So, no, I do *not* find the concepts of "intellectual" and "TV" to be oxymoronic.

Oxymoronic... hmmm... Had to look that one up. I always thought it meant some kind of cow that was really stupid...

tanstaafl.

#241714 - 18/11/2004 19:01 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: tanstaafl.]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
A bit snobbish, are we tonight?

And flip to boot!

I guess there's a S/N ratio issue, because for every West Wing hour, there's at least five hours of low grade cow manure out there.

Not that that stops me from watching a few hours most nights, mind you. I've mostly been watching HD channels (Discovery HD Theatre in particular), as it seems there's not enough _low_ quality HD stuff to fill the time, so they have to use the good Imax type documentary films to fill the time. I know it won't last, but I'm enjoying it now. I saw a great one about the Millau Viaduct a few nights back - wow!

Personally, I'm still waiting for the reality show 'Cannibal!'.

-Zeke

#241715 - 19/11/2004 00:45 Re: Intellectual Property Protection Act [Re: ricin]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Once again I promise you all that Sen. Orrin Hatch will never receive a vote from me, my family, or my friends!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons