Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242702 - 28/11/2004 07:23 Paul Butterfield
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
This one goes out to one empegger on the west coast of America, with whom I spent some quality time at Amersfoort '03!
That live album from 1970 has been re-released by Rhino Handmade in a limited edition of 2500 copies, mine's 1516: It went all round Europe before getting here.
CD1 track 2: The Boxer, nothing to do with Simon & Garfunkel.

#242703 - 28/11/2004 11:26 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: boxer]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Is it good? I have his other 2 cd's and Amazon has this listed for $51.49 and have 3 available. Pretty high priced.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#242704 - 28/11/2004 13:32 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: Laura]
boxer
pooh-bah

Laura,
Perhaps I should preface my reply by pointing out that, along with half the aspiring blues musicians in London, I was the harp player with Alexis Korner. I gave up the day that I saw Paul Butterfield fronting John Mayall, I realised that I was in the junior league and would never make it big!
The live album is really for the committed Butterfield fan. Those of us that believe that he had no equal.
Charlie Musslewhite is probably the current leader in the field, but as far as I'm concerned, he just doesn't hack it.
To me, if I can make two analogies: Butterfield latterly made the harp part of the horn section, where Charlie Christian did the same for the electric guitar in the 30's. To jazz, he was the ambassador of the harp as Larry Adler was to classical music, but nobody has picked up the ball and run with it.
I have 12 Butterfield albums/CD's and, I don't know which two you have, but if I were you: The first Elektra album (Born in Chicago was featured in Blues Brothers 2000) and "The resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw" for the later work with horns, are the essential albums.
To my eternal regret, when I was travelling down the east coast in '79, I didn't divert to Atlantic City, when I heard on the radio that he was on, to hear the final line up (the one which, notoriously had a punch up on stage at Woodstock).
My cryptic posting was to alert a Mr.Hogan, with whom I had this conversation in a bar in Amersfoort, before the famous spare ribs. On the CD, I would save your money, on Amersfoort in July I wouldn't!
Regards.

#242705 - 30/11/2004 02:33 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: boxer]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I guess I have become less blues-oriented than I was some years ago, but Butter still holds a singular place in my pantheon. I guess it was almost 20 years ago when I, along with my ex, worked 2nd shift from time to time and after work caught Butterfield guesting on Letterman (back when I thought letterman was funny....and, to their credit, Paul and crew were trying to offer some dues to a reluctant icon). It seems like yesterday, but then yesterday plus 1 and he was dead. 1987, looks like. My, how time flies.

Other times fly and memory escapes. I know I saw PBBB open for the Byrds, weirdly. 1970? But was that at Tufts, or at Lowell? I should have kept a diary.

Pigboy Crabshaw is, for me, the pinnacle. What can I say? I love horns. I bought the CD some years back, but now I see I was cheated. There is apparently a much-superior import CD of Pigboy. The search continues.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#242706 - 30/11/2004 09:10 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: jimhogan]
boxer
pooh-bah

I don't think that the import is any different to the "Pigboy" that you have, it only links it with: "in my own dream".
The latter is, to use a phrase which I hope translates: "A bit of a pot boiler". Its only saving grace is the track: Drunk Again, which is fun.

#242707 - 30/11/2004 10:18 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: boxer]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Ahhh Blues! I still think that, even though it' Mayall, "Room to Move" is still a classic!
How about Roy Bucannon? And how come it is a lot of the really good blues artists go and 'off' themselves? Guess that is taking the music to the litteral end!

#242708 - 01/12/2004 01:37 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: boxer]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I saw John Mayall perform and perhaps Paul Butterfield back in the late 60's or early 70's. I saw a lot of good bands back then but was usually a bit stoned at concerts so I don't remember much of the details

I only have the East-West CD of his. I thought I had another.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#242709 - 01/12/2004 03:15 Re: Paul Butterfield [Re: Laura]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Yeah, I went straight from bubble gum to blues/folk music, then to Viet Nam. I think I must have smoked half of Southeast Asia. But that was back when I was young and stupid...now I am old and stupid, and have found that the music is much better without the stone. Just my choice, but it was getting hard for me to hold on to my drumsticks and actually play while stoned. I THOUGHT I could, but well, like driving...