Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243292 - 03/12/2004 19:01 Ebay oddness
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

Well, I'm bidding on a faulty camcorder on ebay, and winning the auction. It was sitting at £21 for a couple of days, I bid higher and it's now going to me for £31. Then someone who has never bid for anything comes along and bids rather higher, 10 minutes before the end of the auction. Throwing caution to the winds, I increase my bid by £5, and get it back. Then he counterbids, raising the stakes to a level I don't like, and wins the auction. Nothing too unusual. I chalk it up the odd craving people seem to have for overpriced broken camcorders, and move on to the next auction ending in a couple of hours.

10 minutes after the end of the auction, the seller contacts me and says that due to a hoax bidder, I'm the auction winner. I check the values, and think "great, take these bids off and we're back to the £31". He also relists the item for 24 hours with a buy-it-now proce of about £67, which causes ebay to automatically re-offer it to me.

I contact him and ask how much he is thinking I should pay (being careful, of course), and he replies that I can have it for £65. Quick as a flash, I riposte, pointing out that the hoax bidder's two bids, if removed, leave my winning high bid as £31, not the maximum bid I put in. He reiterates that he wants £65 + P&P.

At this point I get a little paranoid, and do some checking. The "hoax" bidder joined ebay 2 days ago, and had also bid before on the same item to the value of £35 (just over the longstanding £21 bid), but the seller apparently rejected his bid at about mid-day today on the basis of zero/low feedback. Then I bid, and lo and behold he's back. Then he's apparently a hoax bidder, a mere 10 minutes after the end of the auction. Did he call to gloat, or something?

To add to all this, his ebay ID is xxx8simon, while the email address of the seller is simon8xx at aol.com (munged email). Feels odd, but I suppose it could be a coincidence Also, although this is probably just proof of an AOL user, the seller can't seem to work out where the caps lock on his keyboard is.

Realising that there may be something fishy going on, I email him back and offer him £50 including postage, pointing out that this is comfortably above the amount I should really pay assuming I actually won free of interference, but willing to be nice. I also point out the odd coincidences mention above, apologising if I was drawing the wrong conclusions. There is a long delay, and finally he responds thanking me for my interest and saying that the parts cost of the thing is more than the price he's currently asking. Doesn't comment on the near-accusation of shill-bidding at all.

So. Am I reading too much into it, or is this my first encounter with the everpresent danger of ebay scams? Note that to add to my annoyance, when the his offer first came in I cancelled the other unit I was bidding on (since I didn't want two), and looking back would have won it for less than this one. Damn.

pca

#243293 - 03/12/2004 19:13 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Am I reading too much into it, or is this my first encounter with the everpresent danger of ebay scams?

I believe that yes, someone is trying to scam you, and yes, they should be avoided. The "simon8" thing is too much of a coincidence.

#243294 - 03/12/2004 19:28 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Am I reading too much into it, or is this my first encounter with the everpresent danger of ebay scams?

I believe that yes, someone is trying to scam you, and yes, they should be avoided. The "simon8" thing is too much of a coincidence.

Could he really be that stupid though? Not that I can think of any reason why a legitimate bidder would choose such a name. I suppose if it really was a hoax bidder with a grudge to bear...

Personally I'd report this to ebay as a shill bid anyway. If the seller has determined that the winning bid was hoax then the item should have then sold at the maximum valid bid - not at some arbitrary price set by the seller.

#243295 - 03/12/2004 19:33 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
tman
carpal tunnel

Sounds to me that the seller was trying to work out what you maximum bid was. Once he'd worked that out, he tried to push it up to scam you.

#243296 - 03/12/2004 19:53 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: genixia]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Quote:
Could he really be that stupid though?

Yes. He's from Birmingham

I've reported it to ebay. The other odd thing about it is that the seller didn't cancel the 'hoax' bids, but relisted the item as a buy-it-now, which a suspicious part of me thinks is to avoid the automatic winning bid becoming the next valid one.

pca

#243297 - 03/12/2004 20:45 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I'm sure that happens many times that's why now I only bid at the last moment.

When I sell an item I set the buy it now and first bid to the price I want for the item. Then there is no bidding.

Matt

#243298 - 03/12/2004 20:53 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I agree, that is too much of a coincidence.

If you don't get anywhere reporting it to eBay, let me know and I will call the Powerseller line on Monday and see if they're interested in checking whether they're the same person. Although they won't reveal or discuss what resources are available for researching users, the Powerseller support team have surprised me a number of times when I've reported suspicious bidding/selling.

I checked the user ID's you posted and they don't exist. Either they are already NARU (not a registered user) or most likely you're concealing the names of the accused?

#243299 - 03/12/2004 23:41 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
his ebay ID is xxx8simon, while the email address of the seller is simon8xx at aol.com

That is just pathetic. If he's going to shill bid (whatever that means), at least try to be sneaky about it. Yes, it's clearly showing he's an AOL user.

I would say, "Ah, you'll find 5 more of that product during the next week, so why bother with him", but it must be some very special part if it caught you eye. Kind of like "Buy the X10 cam just for that one chip, the rest of it is terrible!", haha.

#243300 - 04/12/2004 01:38 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: pca]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Yeah, I would say it's a scam, man! I had almost the identical thing happen when I was bidding on an old 8Bit machine (Commodore SX-64). I really wanted it, but it WAS 20 years old or so, so I bid and was winning up to the last 5 min. Then the old scam happend...I bid twice more, then let it go. I got an email about 10 minutes after the auction ended saying that the winner retracted the bid and I could have it for the last price I bid. I refused. I don't believe a bid can be retracted in lest than 5 minutes before the end...I just took it as a sign of a scam and said so in my email back to him. What a cussing out I got in his return email. I just forwared it all to ebay and let them sort it out....
I can be depressing somtimes, but I have made some nice deals as well....
Buyer Beware!

#243301 - 04/12/2004 11:49 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: Ladmo]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I've had scammers false bid on my auctions and never pay up, at which I have always courteously offered the item to the second highest (legitimate) bidder for his bid price.

#243302 - 05/12/2004 00:25 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: Cybjorg]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I don't get it. Why would a scammer bid your auction up? What do they get out of it? Or is it some kind of bad blood kind of thing?

#243303 - 05/12/2004 12:42 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: gbeer]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I don't get it. Why would a scammer bid your auction up? What do they get out of it? Or is it some kind of bad blood kind of thing?

Well there's the flip side. Suppose the scammer was also legitimately bidding under another name - he could make the auction unattractive to others so that no other legitimate bids were made, thus protecting a low-ball bid. e.g. if the item is worth $60 the scammer bids $30 using his legitimate name and then bids $80 using his scam name. No one else bids, and he then cancels the fake bids at the last possible moment, hoping that no one else is watching the auction. Or he wins but never responds to the seller hoping that the seller then goes down the bidder list.

Of course in this instance that would mean that Patrick must be a scammer...

#243304 - 05/12/2004 22:36 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: genixia]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I didn't think ebay worked that way. If the current bid is $10, and you bid $100. The bid that is registered is $11.00 (or whatever the minimum increment is). Then when someone else bids $12, your bid of $100 trumps it at $13, and so on untill someone actually bids over you at $101.

I don't see how the bluf bid would ever register... Ok. It would work, but only if the scamming bidder had one legit and two fake overbids.

#243305 - 06/12/2004 00:19 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: gbeer]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
I don't see how the bluf bid would ever register... Ok. It would work, but only if the scamming bidder had one legit and two fake overbids.

The legit account puts in a very high maximum bid, and the fake account pushes the bid up to (and just beyond) that amount. The auction becomes unattractive. However, when the fake bid is withdrawn the amount reverts to just over the previous bidders maximum. Nobody else has had a chance to bid it up if the scam bid is withdrawn at the last minute.

Rob

#243306 - 06/12/2004 01:06 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: rob]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Too much work, man. If I get outbid twice, I usally bow out and wait for the next one...I have been able to get almost whatever I was looking for within a couple of weeks. Of course I don't often bid on the rare items...Except for a Sansui 5050 that I just HAD to have...still did pretty good on it.

#243307 - 06/12/2004 01:19 Re: Ebay oddness [Re: Ladmo]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I wasn't suggesting anyone should actually do that! No doubt some low life do, though.

Rob