Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#261567 - 27/07/2005 12:22 Moving to Atlanta
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Some things you never see coming. Here I was, happily doing life with an up and coming band in San Antonio. Then, out of the blue I get an amazing opportunity to live closer to my family at a better job for more money. So I've got three weeks and I'll be moving to Atlanta, GA. Three weeks ago, I would have laughed if you'd have told me that, but there it is.

For those of you who've followed the back pain my wife has had, you'll know why it is no small thing to have a better pain management community around. San Antonio pain management doctors are just too overworked, but we believe we'll be able to find much better care in Atlanta.

As for the band, well it's going to change tremendously here. We'll of course not be playing live anymore, but we're still going to attempt to record together. My two favorite songs that I've ever written were composed after our CD, so we really want to get those down. We'll see how that turns out long distance- gotta love technology!

Anyway, so I'll no longer be the one you guys turn to for Texas bashing; though in many ways you might have a better target in GA!

Oh, and the best news of all? I'll not be a manager at the new job. It's back to the programming trenches for me! (no offense to any managers out there- it's just not for me).

#261568 - 27/07/2005 12:27 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Cool. That puts you within driving distance too. (~5 hrs.) Mel and I will have to come visit once you get settled in.

#261569 - 27/07/2005 12:35 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Welcome to the real South.

#261570 - 27/07/2005 12:57 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JBjorgen]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Cool. That puts you within driving distance too. (~5 hrs.) Mel and I will have to come visit once you get settled in.
You know, I've been totally thinking this too. We'll definitely come visit you guys!

#261571 - 27/07/2005 13:09 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Quote:
My two favorite songs that I've ever written were composed after our CD, so we really want to get those down. We'll see how that turns out long distance- gotta love technology!

Maybe this will be of some use to you. It's by Justin Frankel, the original Winamp and Gnutella coder and it's supposed to be pretty good!

#261572 - 27/07/2005 13:47 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: BartDG]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Maybe this will be of some use to you.
OK, now THAT's cool. We were actually thinking of writing something like this (one benifit to having a band full of software developers), but it looks like someone's already done it. Not sure about the whole "playing one measure ahead" thing, but we can certainly give it a try!

#261573 - 27/07/2005 13:55 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Welcome to the real South.
Heh, I used to think Texas WAS the real south. I found out I was wrong when I visited SC and ordered sweet iced tea. They lady looked at me and said "Honey, you're in the south. It's ALL sweet". I looked at her confused and said that in Texas you had to ask for sweet tea. She gave me a very disapproving look at informed me that Texas was most certainly NOT "the south".

So one plus to living in GA- sweet tea! Another plus is the Longhorn Steakhouse and their Wild West Shrip- my favorite appetizer. We don't have this chain in Texas (despite claims to be an authentic Texas steakhouse). Must be a southern thing . . .

#261574 - 27/07/2005 14:01 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
We don't have this chain in Texas (despite claims to be an authentic Texas steakhouse). Must be a southern thing . . .

No, it seems to be a global trend. I've encountered many "authentic New York style" products I'd never seen before, some of which no one would serve in NY unless they wanted to go out of business.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#261575 - 27/07/2005 14:05 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
No, it seems to be a global trend. I've encountered many "authentic New York style" products I'd never seen before, some of which no one would serve in NY unless they wanted to go out of business.

It's just that little air of foreign exotica. Webster's used to sell the same beer as Pennine Bitter in Yorkshire, and Yorkshire Bitter in the Pennines.

Peter

#261576 - 27/07/2005 14:25 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Webster's used to sell the same beer as Pennine Bitter in Yorkshire, and Yorkshire Bitter in the Pennines.
LOL!

One funny thing about different locals- when I was visiting our office in DC we went out to lunch at the aforementioned Longhorn steakhouse. Part of the decore at this resturant invovles spurs and other "authentic" cowboy gear. As the only Texan around, my DC coworkers began asking me questions about how to use all that gear. Funny that they'd think a software developer would automatically know ANYTHING about being a cowboy just because he's from Texas. Because, of course, we all ride our horses to work here. And man, when a server goes down overnight you have to really break out the fastest steed to get there as quickly as possible. That's why all of our system administrators get "company horses".

#261577 - 27/07/2005 15:04 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

They've just introduced "New York style" sub sandwiches in Sainsbury's (a UK supermarket), unfortunately they seem to be a normal baguette with a colourful wrapper, not quite the size I believe they usually serve in NY.

Anyway, I'm going for my first trip to NY in October so I'll see for myself! Gotta book the Letterman tickets soon...

Gareth

#261578 - 27/07/2005 15:14 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Heh, I used to think Texas WAS the real south. I found out I was wrong when I visited SC and ordered sweet iced tea.

Furthermore, barbeque in "the South" tends to be pork, where we usually get beef in Texas. At least they don't get confused, like my Massachusetts relatives, who seem to think that anything you put on a grill is, by definition, barbeque. Still, if you define "the South" as having being a member of the Confederacy, then Texas is most certainly the South, and they've got a huge granite monument at the state capital to commemorate it (and, last time I was there, a random guy in a Confederate uniform with the stars and bars standing in front of it).

Georgia has some other distinctive cuisine you won't necessarily find elsewhere. Last time I was in Atlanta, I ate at a restaurant that served us Hoppin' John, which wasn't half bad, but not something I'd go out of my way to get, either...

#261579 - 27/07/2005 17:30 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I think my definition of the South would be the area referred to as the South in 1776, which, notably, excludes Florida, and definitely excudes Texas.

#261580 - 27/07/2005 17:41 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I always think it's funny when people refer to my area as "the south." I suppose if you're from NYC, my area will seem a little slower (everywhere seems slower relative to NYC), but I'd like to think of northern Virginia as a state unto its self. It's like if I drive in any in-state direction for about 90 minutes, I'm in the south. Not deep south, but still the south. It makes sense, though, since this is a metropolitan area where most people seem to live outside the city.

I spent 4 years in Williamsburg, VA, and that was sufficiently southern for me (and I realize that's not very southern). I like my in-between area

#261581 - 27/07/2005 17:52 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: g_attrill]
Heather
addict

Quote:
They've just introduced "New York style" sub sandwiches in Sainsbury's (a UK supermarket), unfortunately they seem to be a normal baguette with a colourful wrapper, not quite the size I believe they usually serve in NY.

Hmm, subs are not one of those foods I associate with home (as with most "NY style" stuff - iced teas? ice cream? sodas? WTF? things done better elsewhere). Quite frankly, I'd kick that one off the list of things to try. Pizza, dirty water hot dogs (stop fearing disease and just get one, they're good), bagels. Then again, you can find plenty of brits in Pret, TGIFridays full of american tourists here (as well as americans in McDonalds in europe). I just don't get travelling so far then going out for something you can get at home. Then again, pletny of American tourists in movie theatres too (I thought BAtman played in Oklahoma too?)

If you want a good NYC sandwich, go to Katz's , far better than Carnegie (eh), or Second Ave (a bit better). Just remember, mayonaise or butter on pastrami or corned beef is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Food is usually better (and cheaper) in the outer boros, but getting to it by public transport is not always easy.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#261582 - 27/07/2005 17:58 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Just remember, mayonaise or butter on pastrami or corned beef is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

Really? You think dairy and meat together on a Jewish deli sandwich is wrong?

Then again, I do like my reubens.

#261583 - 27/07/2005 18:08 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
I think my definition of the South would be the area referred to as the South in 1776, which, notably, excludes Florida, and definitely excudes Texas.

Tallahassee and Walkulla (FL) are so damn suthern I don't know how they didn't end up as part of GA.

#261584 - 27/07/2005 18:12 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
You think dairy and meat...

Common misconception...mayonnaise is non-dairy. Eggs, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings.

I'm lactose intolerant...I have to know these things.

butter certainly is .

#261585 - 27/07/2005 18:17 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You're absolutely right. Duh.

#261586 - 27/07/2005 18:28 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: wfaulk]
Heather
addict

Quote:
You think dairy and meat together on a Jewish deli sandwich is wrong?

Like the yokels asking for it are aware of that. I worked in several non kosher places, and that was the big one that said "I'm not from around here!" (followed by "ain't yall got ranch dressing?" [not available in most NYC eateries] and compaints about the mustard being the spicy brown variety and not the plain yellow kind.) Hillary Clinton trumped it with her pastrami and american on wheat with mayo while she was out playing common people (the secret service did not see the funny in the cook calling her an "estupid faking heelbeely" when I handed him that order). Not knowing just how wrong that sandwich is should bar you from ever holding public office in NY.

#261587 - 27/07/2005 18:33 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
... Hillary Clinton trumped it with her pastrami and american on wheat with mayo while she was out playing common people (the secret service did not see the funny in the cook calling her an "estupid faking heelbeely" when I handed him that order). Not knowing just how wrong that sandwich is should bar you from ever holding public office in NY.

You'd think Fox News would have covered that!

#261588 - 27/07/2005 18:52 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JBjorgen]
Foz

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Eggs, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings

You forgot the vegetable oil.

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789

#261589 - 27/07/2005 19:03 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Robotic]
Heather
addict

Quote:

You'd think Fox News would have covered that!

Your average FauxNews viewer/employee is too willfully ignorant and uncultured to know any better themselves.

Now lemme go grab my flame retardant undies and start running.

#261590 - 27/07/2005 19:04 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Ah, so hot mustard is OK, then? Phew, I thought for a moment I had completely wrong tastes... (Though I prefer freshly grated horse-radish, but one can't always find it, and diluted stuff from a jar will not do.)

Topic drift in our threads is really amusing
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#261591 - 27/07/2005 19:17 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: bonzi]
Heather
addict

Quote:
Ah, so hot mustard is OK, then? Phew, I thought for a moment I had completely wrong tastes...

Not wrong, just not typical of the area. Doesn't fall into the totally gross and bizarre local custom, like blue cheese dressing on pizza, a perfectly normal and expected condiment in Buffalo, god only knows why.

#261592 - 27/07/2005 19:23 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: Heather]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Doesn't fall into the totally gross and bizarre local custom, like blue cheese dressing on pizza, a perfectly normal and expected condiment in Buffalo, god only knows why.

A few years ago, when I was deploying a banking system in Mostar (Bosnia-Herzegovina), I was astonished to discover that (generally decent) pizzas routinely came with a huge blob of mayo on them.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#261593 - 27/07/2005 19:23 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: bonzi]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, brown mustard is less common in the US than plain yellow mustard, but it's far from unheardof. In fact, you can actually get it in those little individual plastic rip-open packs that they have at fast food places.

#261594 - 27/07/2005 19:37 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: bonzi]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
A few years ago, when I was deploying a banking system in Mostar (Bosnia-Herzegovina), I was astonished to discover that (generally decent) pizzas routinely came with a huge blob of mayo on them.

I read somewhere that Mostar were hoping to put up a statue to Bruce Lee, on the basis that then they'd be known internationally, not as That Place That Got Blown To Bits, but as That Place With The Bruce Lee Statue For Some Reason. Perhaps they'd be better off promoting themselves as That Place Where Pizza Comes With Mayo On?

Peter

#261595 - 02/08/2005 13:39 Re: Moving to Atlanta [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Apologies to those of you who purchased the CD, but for anyone else whose interested I've made about half of the songs (our highest rated ones) downloadable from our page on GarageBand.com. I'm sure I'll keep making music and might even try to reform the band in Atlanta, but for now there won't be much promotion of the CD so I figure it's best just to get the music out there.

Enjoy!