Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264361 - 04/09/2005 11:12 Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80.
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

#264362 - 04/09/2005 18:46 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: pgrzelak]
TigerJimmy
old hand

This is very bad news... I was sure hoping he could hang on until Jan '09.

#264363 - 04/09/2005 22:53 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: TigerJimmy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
This is very bad news... I was sure hoping he could hang on until Jan '09.

Why? Who does Guiliani have his eye on?

#264364 - 04/09/2005 23:14 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
visuvius
addict

Wow, is that really who you're hoping for?

#264365 - 05/09/2005 00:16 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: visuvius]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Better than Hillary...

#264366 - 05/09/2005 11:41 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: pgrzelak]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Latest news: Bush has tweaked his nomination of Roberts such that Roberts is now his nominee for chief justice and, until we hear otherwise, Sandra Day O'Connor is still on the court. One theory: by having Roberts as the chief justice, it keeps that seat in "conservative" hands, versus allowing Justice John Paul Stevens (the otherwise senior member of the court and a "liberal") to become the chief justice by default.

#264367 - 05/09/2005 11:59 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: DWallach]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
It's not like he doesn't have the option to elevate Antonin-Scalia or Thomas to Chief Justice. It's a winner take the spoils operation.

#264368 - 05/09/2005 12:02 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: DWallach]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Well it's not suprise that Bush wants a conservative court. That was one of the issues he ran on.

But in addition to bolstering the conservative leanings of the court, this also allows them to move foward with a full court (since O'Connor said she'll stay on until they find a replacement) and avoiding 4-4 splits.

Anyway, it's not a suprising move at all to me.

And of course, the Democrats are now calling to hold off on messing with the courst until Katrina gets sorted out. Somehow I don't think they'd have the same attitude if it were their noniminee. It feels to me like since they can't really find much negative to say about Roberts, they are going to use Katrina to delay the prceedings and give them a chance to find a firmer foothold. Were the situation reveresed, I have no dobut the Republicans would be doing exactly the same thing.

#264369 - 05/09/2005 12:50 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: pgrzelak]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I situations like this, I am always reminded of a scene from R.L.Delderfield's _To Serve Them All My Days_. This British public school drama was adapted for television and became a 13-episode series on PBS' Masterpiece Theater during the 80s. I can't think of another time when I looked forward to a television show so eagerly (Hmmmm, I see it is on DVD, but not sure I'll part with $70...) The guy who played the main character Powlett-Jones did a great job.

A supporting character in the story is Howarth, a curmudgeonly teacher. Aside from the facts that I am not qualified to teach English and that I gave up cigarettes 26 years ago, I might very well consider Howarth my role model in life.

Anyhow, upon the occasion of the sudden -- Deus ex pectus -- death of the new South African Nazi headmaster Cordwailer, Powlett-Jones, Howarth and several junior teachers (who had previously bemoaned their oppression by Cordwailer) gather in the teacher's lounge...

The junior teachers all equivocate as to how it is a shame that Cordwailer died so young and all that -- "Poor man". Howarth offers something like "Well, at least he's gone" and the juniors react with indignant shock.

Now Howarth's retort -- and I won't get it exactly right -- was: "Why, I must say that it is the height of hypocrisy to say good things about someone simply because they are dead."

Words to live by, I say.

Anyhow, now we may unwittingly elevate Robert Bork to the court. But a younger, more handsome Bork.

I have to think how things might have gone if Rehnquist had simply managed to succumb at age 70. Mario Cuomo isn't handsome in a hunky, all-American way, but my sense is that he's a pretty nice guy.

Ah, well, I guess I am ready for life in the United States of Tight Assholes. How old is Orrin Hatch? He could serve on the court until, what, 2020?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#264370 - 05/09/2005 21:19 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: jimhogan]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I wasn't feeling too bad about Roberts until now. Of course Bush is going to nominate a conservative but Roberts doesn't seem too ideological.

But in the back of my mind I've had this suspicion that Bush is getting exactly the type of judge he wants but he managed to find one without enough of a public record to be Borked. This suspicion is strenghened now that Bush is nominating Roberts for Chief. Perhaps it's only a matter of administrative convenience so that O'Conner stays on longer. But I am concerned.

I'm proudly liberal on social issues and the Supreme Court has the final say so it's important to me. Sometimes I fear the country my children will grow up in. The solace I take is that the trend of history is for society to become more progressive. For example, I'm confident that some number of years from now we will look back on the current discrimination against homosexuals as we now look back on discrimination against blacks.

Or maybe I'll move to Holland...

#264371 - 05/09/2005 22:15 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: Ladmo]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Better than Hillary...

Why is Hillary Clinton such a lightening rod of hatred for conservatives? I don't get it. I don't have much of an opinion either way about her except for she's an opportunist. But that's true of just about any politician.

#264372 - 05/09/2005 23:03 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: Dylan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
They're afraid of her.

That's a good sign.

#264373 - 06/09/2005 02:13 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: Dylan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Quote:
Better than Hillary...

Why is Hillary Clinton such a lightening rod of hatred for conservatives? I don't get it. I don't have much of an opinion either way about her except for she's an opportunist. But that's true of just about any politician.

I can't speak for the people that think the Clintons are the root of all evil and are behind various murder plots, but I think it's because Conservatives don't like Liberals and her history is very liberal. Bill Clinton was not much of a liberal but she can be. I guess we aren't upset about anything she is saying (she seems pretty hawkish to be honest) but what she'll do.

Who knows what will pan out. We thought Dean was going to be your candidate (Dems would have won with Leiberman) but that didn't turn out to be the case. The only one I know that is certain she is going to win and is freaked out about it is Dick Morris. I bet he is secretly wish she will win so he can sell more books!

#264374 - 06/09/2005 03:10 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Dems would have won with Leiberman

Any Dem that would call that a victory should do us all a favor and blow their brains out. Now.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#264375 - 06/09/2005 05:09 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: jimhogan]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
I quite liked your story Jim, that just about sums it up for me too. Won't say anything bad about him, but I sure ain't saying anything good either.

It looks like Pat Robertson's call for God to create "additional vacancies on the court" worked, but I am sure not quite in the way he intended. Maybe his god missed.

And yeah, if Leiberman had got the nomination I would have voted Libertarian...i.e. thrown away my vote. Hillary will be a disaster and doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

#264376 - 06/09/2005 05:47 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: jimhogan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:

Quote:
Dems would have won with Leiberman

Any Dem that would call that a victory should do us all a favor and blow their brains out. Now.

Bet you would have liked him better than Bush, though.

#264377 - 06/09/2005 08:24 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: ninti]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
And, of course, this is the same Pat Robertson that recommended that the US should assassinate Venezuela's President Chavez, right? While I am not going to enter the political side of this debate, I really have to wonder if Mr. Robertson has been taking all of his medication lately...

#264378 - 06/09/2005 12:40 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Bet you would have liked him better than Bush, though.

Only in that he seems not to be a complete idiot and sociopath. But other than the fact that he was not in the national political scene in the 80s (he was the Connecticut Attorney General), he would be a Republican now. That's when the neocon exodus from the Democratic party took place.

#264379 - 06/09/2005 12:43 Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies at 80. [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
It's not like he doesn't have the option to elevate Antonin-Scalia or Thomas to Chief Justice. It's a winner take the spoils operation.

True, but they would require as much of a confirmation as a new justice would. And we know their track records. New justices have been known to confound; Eisenhower nominated Earl Warren, for example.