Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264235 - 02/09/2005 00:21 My wife & D&D
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, I didn't see this coming. I guess I should have, but you never think it's going to happen to you . . .

See, I got my wife into Diablo a couple of years after it first came out. Unfortunatly we only had one computer so we couldn't play together. As you might well know, Diablo is best played together and so she didn't last long with it.

Then came Diablo 2. By this time we had DSL and two computers. She waded in caustiously and then was instantly hooked. I thought, "Hey this is cool- my wife is playing computer games". I thought my wife was the coolest and even remember one of the teenagers at church telling me, "man, when I get married I hope she's just like your wife".

We had a blast with Diablo 2 and she even started playing it without me. I thought nothing of it- nor did it really concern me that she wouldn't get into any other games. Oh I tried all right. Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six- but none of them took. At some point we got busy with the band, my computer died and I didn't bother to ressurect it- who had time for games? I didn't stop to think that she'd just scratched the surface of her obsession. After all, Diablo 2 is one of those games that is idle fun, especially when considered an RPG. Diablo 2 is what would happen if Michael Bay decided to make an RPG. Ripping fun but without a soul.

Then we moved to Atlanta- Having only family here and no friends, I fixed my computer thinking we could ressurect Diablo 2 again. Also, since it's cheaper these days I might be able to play with some old friends back home. Since it's the one PC game my wife will play, it's a perfect solution. And my how we've played. It's a fun game and we've stayed up many late nights leveling up and fighting evil baddies. Getting new weapons, all that cool stuff.

And then it happened. My sister (who now lives 2 hours away from us) invited us over to play D&D with her friends. I didn't know "grown ups" played D&D, but I remember it from my youth. Not that I ever got to play much. I was just too invovled in other things and never got a chance. Baldur's Gate was as close as I ever got.

So we went and created a couple of characters and played with my sister and her friends. It was a very low key game, actually, nothing like what I remember my friends doing from high school, but it was definitely D&D- hardcore rules, maps in books, backstories and all. No one dressed up or anything, but one guy did a freakishly good dwarf imitation.

And my wife is hooked. Hardcore. I think she's going to dress up for the next one. It's all she's been talking about all week. I'm wondering, is this healthy? I mean, Diablo 2 is one thing. It's kind of the meaningless pop version of D&D, but now I'm seeing her descend into waters I'm not sure she can handle. Soon she'll be buying books, constructing constumes, learning accents. What'll I do?

I guess if you can't beat 'em . . .

#264236 - 02/09/2005 00:53 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
is this healthy?

I'd argue that D&D is a healthier addiction (if there's such a thing) than computer games. You exercise your mind, you actually converse with people, and you can stretch out and lie down instead of getting a CRT suntan while huddled over a keyboard and mouse.

That being said, keep tabs on it. I wasn't addicted to D&D, but I played with people who were. It'll probably pass when she realizes that the DM doesn't always bring their "A" game.

#264237 - 02/09/2005 08:25 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: tonyc]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

I would not worry at all. This is just a new area to explore and have fun with. There is no harm in it.

But then, I have an entire bookshelf of books, modules, etc. I have a mace on the shelf and I use a stiletto as a letter opener.

If she starts becoming obsessive (building Grimtooth style "step and die" traps in the hallways, etc.), you might want to consider seeking professional help.

"It's not a pod - it won't hurt you" - Robin Williams: Reality, What A Concept.

#264238 - 02/09/2005 10:09 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I'd argue that D&D is a healthier addiction (if there's such a thing) than computer games. You exercise your mind, you actually converse with people, and you can stretch out and lie down instead of getting a CRT suntan while huddled over a keyboard and mouse.
Yeah- I think there's a lot that's healthy about D&D. And really, since her back problems started she's been watching so much TV that this will probably be really good for her. My post was mostly just me being silly (I was in a wierd mood last night), though I do wonder about her desire to start dressing like her character.

Quote:
That being said, keep tabs on it.
Yeah, if she starts playing without me, then I'll start getting worried. That's one reason we never started playing Evercrack- though Evercrack is actually how my sister and her husband met. Funny that they don't play computer games anymore and he doesn't even do D&D very often.

Incidently, my charcter HATES my wife's character- makes for some great in-game conversation.

#264239 - 02/09/2005 12:37 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: JeffS]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Heh.. I lost my first lover to another D&D player once.. dangerous game, sometimes.

Speaking of which, I have a large shelf full of AD&D books, old inserts and the like from early Dragon magazines, and several hundred metal D&D miniatures (about 1/3 of them detail painted). Haven't been used at all for 18 years now. I really should find a new home for it all.

Cheers

#264240 - 02/09/2005 12:54 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: mlord]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Just moved house and found some miniatures from around 15 years ago. My five year old son loves them, and wants to paint the few unpainted ones - an orc, a dark elf and a werewolf. Heh...the slippery slope
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#264241 - 02/09/2005 13:03 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Incidently, my charcter HATES my wife's character- makes for some great in-game conversation.

Something tells me that if she's lost, she's not lost on her own

Peter

#264242 - 02/09/2005 13:42 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: JeffS]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
So this isn't about her getting booked for being Drunk and Disorderly then?

#264243 - 02/09/2005 13:46 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: furtive]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Well, it could be if you go to a Renaissance Festival, get her smashed on mead and if she starts threatening people with a long pointy weapon...

#264244 - 02/09/2005 15:01 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: mlord]
Foz

Loc: San Jose, CA
Heh, I've got a ton of D&D first edition books on the shelf, several original modules... all my old rolemaster (chartmaster?) books, charts, etc... some traveller stuff, some Shadowrun stuff, God only knows what else is there. I'm afraid to look too closely.

Haven't played it in about 150 years. Keep them around for nostalgia I guess.

My girlfriend is seriously obsessive about computer games also. She started playing Diablo 2 while she was in her master's program. She scared herself and quit playing it until she finished up. Luckily she hasn't picked it back up, she's too busy at work and has too little free time.

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789

#264245 - 02/09/2005 20:16 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I'm with Paul. Get thee to some cons and renfaires.

#264246 - 02/09/2005 20:30 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Sample my fist, you community theater reject!

#264247 - 02/09/2005 20:33 Re: My wife & D&D [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That was a great episode.

#264248 - 15/09/2005 09:29 Okay. For the serious addict [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

I have never seen dice like these before... When you see boxes of these arrive, you know you are in trouble as well.