Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267033 - 12/10/2005 16:19 5G iPod
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So, they announced the 5G iPod (less than 15 minutes ago). Basically it's thinner, which is nice, and has a bigger screen, which is nice. It also has video capabilities, which could have been implemented in the first iPod with a color screen, but oh well. I'm a little annoyed that Steve has always claimed that people don't want video on a portable screen (like he knows what I want), and now they'll make a fortune off of it, but I'm sure they'll do it pretty well, so I suppose it's okay.

Here's what Engadget has so far (check out their site for the live coverage):
Quote:
The device will feature a 2.5-inch display, QVGA resolution (320 x 240), and will MPEG-4 h.264 (natch), and presumably Quicktime.

The new iPod will be 30% thinner than the current 20GB iPod (making it 0.44-inches thick—say wha?), and will feature a 60GB version (which should be thinner than the current 0.63-inch thick 20GB iPod), and editions of both in black.

The 20GB should go for $299, and the 60GB for $399. They’ll be shipping next week.

What’s the device named, you ask? The iPod. That’s it, just The iPod. Well spare you the Prince jokes. The iPod will have TV out.

Stevie has iTunes 6.0 up there—only about a month after introducing iTunes 5.0.

iTunes 6.0 will also feature video and the iTunes Music Store will feature Fairplay DRMed video downloads (big surprise, right?).

At launch over 2,000 music videos will be made available at a cost of $1.99 apiece. You can download iTunes 6.0 starting today.

Oh, and one more thing…

It’s not only music videos you can buy. No, Apple’s set up to allow you to purchase TV shows for $1.99 apiece. Get Desperate Housewives or four other ABC shows premiering on iTunes at two bucks an ep. Videos are native QVGA resolution.

Very interesting. I'm still not buying one, even though it's darn close to my ideal device, but I'll definitely be recommending it to my father. The TV shows part intrigues me as well. That will be very interesting.

*edit*

It's on Apple's site now.

Edited by Dignan (12/10/2005 16:24)

#267034 - 12/10/2005 17:12 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
The 5g iPod is a worthy successor but I'm totally disappointed with the other announcements. I don't get the point of an iMac with a couch interface. Most people have much bigger TV's with home theater systems. Hasn't Jobs always said that the computer doesn't belong in the living room?

Much more appealing to me would be a Mac mini like device with a TV output and interface and/or an Airport Express with video. But how many people outside of college students are going to use a 17 or 20 inch screen as their main TV?

And the video/TV downloads are 320x240! Come on. Why would I pay $1.99 to download a postage stamp size version of a show to watch on a tiny screen when I can record the HD (1280x720) version and watch on my big TV?

This is a half baked release. I guess they are dipping their toes in the water but I don't see much of a market for today's announcements (except the iPod of course).

Edited by Dylan (12/10/2005 17:14)

#267035 - 12/10/2005 17:32 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dylan]
tman
carpal tunnel

The Mac mini does have TV out. It just doesn't come with the correct adapter in the box.

#267036 - 12/10/2005 17:36 Re: 5G iPod [Re: tman]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I'd like to see a Sirius/XM iPod. I think the satellite chipset is still too large and power hungry for an iPod application, although XM is getting close...

#267037 - 12/10/2005 19:33 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

IMHO, 2.5" is too small for video. Sure it'll play and look nice but that is just not big enough, even for a ride on the train or in between classes. Now that I'm used to the PSP sized screen, I don't think I could go any smaller for a portable device (for video).

#267038 - 12/10/2005 19:38 Re: 5G iPod [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
The Mac mini does have TV out. It just doesn't come with the correct adapter in the box.

Wasn't the first Apple video out to TV? So, it's taken thirty years to get back to the beginning again?
/humor, folks.
//it's a joke.

#267039 - 12/10/2005 20:18 Re: 5G iPod [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
IMHO, 2.5" is too small for video. Sure it'll play and look nice but that is just not big enough, even for a ride on the train or in between classes. Now that I'm used to the PSP sized screen, I don't think I could go any smaller for a portable device (for video).

Well, yeah, the screen is smaller than the PSPs, but you're talking apples<->oranges. My girlfriend, for instance, adores her GMini400 which has ~2.1" screen. No, she doesn't watch movies on it, but she does watch the occasional Aqua Teen Hunger Force or other short video. But that's what she wanted it for - the ride on the subway like you mentioned. The advantage to these devices over the PSP is that she can just take the device and headphones, whereas you have to have the [larger] device, UMDs, and memory sticks (which also mean more cost). That said, I think we'd both be happier if they had released this one.

There are definitely people for the small screens, as Steve is about to figure out. I'm not defending the iPod specifically, just the idea which was opposed by Jobs for so long until now

I must admit, for the better part of the day, I was sold. I was already planning on buying myself a 60GB black 5G iPod. Then I came to my senses, remembered how I dislike iPods for reasons that they'll never change, and went back to planning on picking up one of these babies. While Archos doesn't make things as slick as Apple, they innovate FAR more in this category.

#267040 - 12/10/2005 20:46 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

Man that thing looks sweet. My problem with these devices, and many gadgets in general, is that I get all excited about the purchase, make the purchase, dick around with said purchase for some period of time and then promptly ignore it and move on to the next gadget.

The empeg really is one of the only gadgets I've purchased that I've been as into as I was one I first bought it. There needs to be some sort of "Geek Gadget Exchange Network" where people can trade gadgets they've grown bored with.

#267041 - 12/10/2005 22:12 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
How did you guys find out about this Apple release? Was it announced in advance that there would be a release today?

I ask because not only do I need to keep up with the news, but I'm still getting hounded by someone I recommended an iPod mini to a few months before the nano came out. They expected me to know it was coming, and, oddly, it seems that many people did know the announcement event date.

Guess I need to get the engadget RSS, eh? Curses, then I'll get sucked into reading about all the goodies.....

P.S: I always knew that simplicity would come into fashion on the 21st century. Here it is gracefully ushered in on the perl white wings of Apple. Maybe it's time for empeg to make a comeback.

P.P.S: The new iMac might be nice if it interfaced with (and programmed) Tivo and other recorders. And honestly, a 20" iMac would beat the pants off the two TVs in my house: a free 20" from the early 90's and a broken 13". No matter, I don't use them anyway. 21" CRT does all the work.

Edited by FireFox31 (12/10/2005 22:26)

#267042 - 12/10/2005 22:25 Re: 5G iPod [Re: FireFox31]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
No one "knew" what was going to be released today. Occasionally credible rumors slip out, but that's rare. What's not rare is knowing that Apple is holding a press conference or making an announcement of some sort. Before these announcements, everyone speculates as to what's going to happen, and like a stopped clock, every once in a while they're right. Of course you can look at Apple's lineup and guess, which is what http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ is great for.

Matthew

#267043 - 12/10/2005 22:39 Re: 5G iPod [Re: FireFox31]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Don't feel bad. No one who wasn't under NDA knew about the nano months in advance. The only clue was that over the summer it was reported that Apple had cut a deal with Samsung to buy a lot of 4 GB flash chips. But, even then, most speculation was around a high capacity Shuffle and a mini with a color screen and larger hard drive. It's pretty amazing that Apple had a million nanos built by the launch date and almost no information leaked.

Yeah, Engadet will keep you up on all things like this - both real and speculated. Gizmodo is good, too. It has less posts but catches everything important.

#267044 - 13/10/2005 00:35 Re: 5G iPod [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

At work, whether my employer likes it or not, I have a Firefox window open at all times during the day. It always has at least four tabs open. One of them is the empeg board for example. Two of them are Engadget and Joystiq (for video games). Any time I have a break, all I do is hold my pinky on the left CTRL and keep hitting R, TAB, R TAB, etc until I've gone through all of them and I read all the new items.

So, being a reader who at least skims every single Engadget post, I knew about the Apple event beforehand, although as Matthew K mentioned, nobody knew exactly what they were going to show off.

I'm still not that big on RSS. I'm much happier going to the actual site.

#267045 - 13/10/2005 01:32 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
So, being a reader who at least skims every single Engadget post, I knew about the Apple event beforehand, although as Matthew K mentioned, nobody knew exactly what they were going to show off.

I'm still not that big on RSS. I'm much happier going to the actual site.

Opposed to seeing at a glance what each and every news site has new? My pinky would get sore.

Attachments
267183-rss.jpg (94 downloads)

#267046 - 13/10/2005 05:00 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dylan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And the video/TV downloads are 320x240! Come on. Why would I pay $1.99 to download a postage stamp size version of a show to watch on a tiny screen when I can record the HD (1280x720) version and watch on my big TV?

Thats the part I'm disappointed about. If it was at least DVD quality, I'd be all over buying Lost right now and watching it, as I haven't seen it. $1.99 an episode, or #34.99 for season 1 comes in cheeper then me going down to Best Buy for the DVD box set. As far as the DRM, I'd actually be willing to live with it in this case, as this would save me the hassle of needing to rip my DVDs to make the content portable to my laptop.

I do think it is a promising first step though, and I hope Apple looks to increase the quality down the road. They at least have gotten one content producer willing to test the waters of internet distribution. I think Apple's main concern is download length and size.

#267047 - 13/10/2005 13:57 Re: 5G iPod [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Interesting, I didn't know that you could get the whole season for $35. That's getting there in price for me.

I checked out iTunes 6 last night, and was not impressed in the least. I clicked on the ad for "2000 music videos," and saw no clear way to browse only the videos. I kept trying to go to a category of music video, only to find out that I was going to the overall music category. Does anyone see a good way to peruse only the music videos?

Mark: That looks like a cool program. The issue I have is that I only have about 3 pages I visit that have RSS feeds. I don't want a program like that. I like to have it all in front of me, with all the images and text. It makes it easier for me to skim the information and decide what to read.

#267048 - 13/10/2005 20:18 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Amazon appear to have it for $38.99 and free super saver shipping. This is assuming the DVD isn't stolen

#267049 - 13/10/2005 20:40 Re: 5G iPod [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I just used that price in an argument about the new iPod. I'll tell you, at first glance it really wins you over, but each and every new look I take at it, I'm more and more diappointed in Apple. I'm quite suprised at how poorly they're doing this.

Does anyone know if the new iPod supports video larger than 320x240? Or is that the max, period? If that's it, then that is really poor.

#267050 - 13/10/2005 21:09 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I bought a 20GB iPod about 3 weeks ago. After seeing the release of the 5G last night I promptly packaged it up and took it back for a refund. Went home and ordered the 5G. It cost the same and, even if I don't use the video, it has a larger screen AND 10 more gig. All for the same price as the 20gig 4G. You can have it engraved too for no extra charge. Plagiarized one of my favorite lyrics,

"Moving Like An Avalanche, Coming Down The Mountain"

Didn't have room for the first part but thats OK. I like it anyway.

#267051 - 13/10/2005 21:14 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Neutrino]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
"Moving Like An Avalanche, Coming Down The Mountain"

Butthole Surfers?

#267052 - 13/10/2005 21:17 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Neutrino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That all sounds reasonable. I think you made a wise choice in upgrading. All of my criticisms are related to the video features, which don't really affect you very much.

Oh, and I think it's "pouring like an avalanche"

#267053 - 13/10/2005 22:27 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know that you could get the whole season for $35. That's getting there in price for me.
I'd say stick with the DVD set. It's just under 40 and is very much worth it. With the DVD you get the extra disc, which we found very interesting and fun to watch. Usually I ignore the extra features, but I was interested in hearing the makers talk about the series and found a lot of the extras interesting. But beyond that, it's simply nice to have the set. Unlike some DVD sets that I sell as soon as I'm done, this one will probably get repeat viewings. I didn't think so at first, but I took the set over to my sister's to introduce her to the show. I figured I'd start the pilot and watch a little with her, just to get her hooked, and found myself watching the whole first disc and then being dissapointed that I had to leave the set behind. It's the mark of a really good show that can get me interested in a second run so quickly after having seen it the first time around.

#267054 - 13/10/2005 22:41 Re: 5G iPod [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, we just discussed the DVD set a few posts up.

I wasn't speaking for myself, by the way, as I still wouldn't dream of buying a season of TV through this method. I've been arguing it over in some Engadget comments today, and for some people are still excited about downloading low quality episodes for $2 a piece. I can't fathom watching a show like "Lost" on a 2.5" screen for the first time. Maybe if I wanted to revisit some episodes, then yes, that's fine. But that's not the way to watch a show that's filmed in Hawaii. You'd also miss some very subtle things like *spoiler if you haven't watched season one* Hurley on the TV at the House where Jin "delivers his message."

Basically, like I said before, I'm very disappointed in Apple, mostly because I know they're going to make out like bandits even though they're approaching this all wrong from a consumer standpoint.

Oh well...

ps-by the way, somebody robbed Sawyer! That's a shame, but at least nobody was hurt.

Edited by Dignan (13/10/2005 22:42)

#267055 - 13/10/2005 22:55 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Yeah, we just discussed the DVD set a few posts up.

oops, missed that.

Where I see a use for this is if you miss an episode for some reason (power goes out). I'd download a show like "Lost" for $2 just to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Can you watch these episodes on your pc?

#267056 - 13/10/2005 23:57 Re: 5G iPod [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I believe you can. But at that resolution, it wouldn't be very good looking.

I agree with that in theory, but it's just that every aspect of Apple's video implementation is just a tad shy of what it should be, and all that adds up to a big disappointment.

#267057 - 14/10/2005 00:44 Re: 5G iPod [Re: Dignan]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
You're right it is "pouring" but as I couldn't fit the first line in I changed it a little to sound more complete. Butthole Surfers it is.

Edited by Neutrino (14/10/2005 00:45)