Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270035 - 19/11/2005 04:14 high indoor humidity
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
So the wife and I moved to the Pacific Northwest in the past year, and we bought a newer (late 90's) home on one of the lesser San Juan Islands.
Now being from the North East were used to very cold, dry winters. Indoor humidity never posed a problem. In fact it was always the opposite.
But out here during the tepid, moist winters we find that our windows are always fogging up and condensat-ing (?). Especially in the kitchen, and in the bedroom overnight.
We run outside venting fans (kitchen, bathroom) whenever we can, and when were cooking we usually crack the kitchen door as well. That all helps a bit, but we still have an indoor humidity level of about 75% on average.
This has led to a bit of a mold problem on the windows and trim that we're having a hard time keeping up with.
We've been thinking of getting a de-humidifer but were wondering if there were any other good solutions to high indoor humidity. Or maybe a good way to eradicate the mold once and for all.
Anybody else out there in empeg-land have any similar experiences?

#270036 - 19/11/2005 04:52 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: fusto]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
A light bleach to water mix (10%) will kill the mold for a good while. Vinegar also works on items you don't want to risk lightening, but requires a slightly stonger mix (15-20%). As to the moisture, we use a visqueen (sp?) moisture barrier wrapped around the entire structure between the inside and outside walls. Also helps reduce heating/cooling costs.

#270037 - 19/11/2005 06:38 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: fusto]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Same problem here with PNW weather causing condensation on the windows. I've got a de-humidifier, but I'm not certain the problem is too much indoor humidity. I think it's more like, too much temperature difference between inside of the glass pane and outside.

The mold on the windowsills hasn't gotten out of hand yet so I'm not bothering with the dehumidifier yet.

#270038 - 19/11/2005 15:49 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: fusto]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
We get that here in the winter (UK). We have "moisture traps" which are a long tall plastic tray (holds about 1pt water) with an inverted plastic mesh basket on top which is filled with calcium chloride granules - some pics here:
http://www.hardware-ironmongers.com/results.cfm?&ct_ref=690

It's probably not recommended for absorbing large amounts of moisture though, for instance we don't have one in the kitchen, only in the bedrooms. We have double glazed windows and coal-fired central heating which is always a tricky combination.

Gareth

#270039 - 19/11/2005 17:55 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: fusto]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Tony's correct. There are two ways to skin this cat, either lower the humidity (which lowers the wet bulb temperature - which is the temperature at which condensation forms) or make the insides of your windows warmer. Depending on the build quality of your windows this may or may not be possible. I replaced all my old double-hung windows with new Pella brand windows and I have much less/no condensation, even though I have a whole-house humidifier.

Of course when it gets really cold I do have to lower the humidifier.

I would also check your attic to make sure that your attic is venting properly. If it's not, then the window mold is the least of your problems. Condensation on the underside of your roof plywood will cause big damage. The attic should be well-ventilated (but not windy).

If you do end up purchasing a de-humidifier, be sure that you get one that can drain into the plumbing. If you have to empty it manually you'll never keep up.

-Zeke

#270040 - 19/11/2005 20:04 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: lectric]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
A light bleach to water mix (10%) will kill the mold for a good while.

Thanks for that! I just mixed-up this concoction to spray on some mold in my bathroom 10 minutes ago. It's nearly all gone now!

#270041 - 20/11/2005 19:40 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: robricc]
lectric
pooh-bah

Heh, we New-Orlenians are quickly becoming experts on mold. In fact, I just sprayed all my studs in my house. I must say, It's really weird standing in your house and being able to see from one end to the other. At least now I get the chance to wire my house absolutely the way I want it. Adding lots of outlets and cat5 runs to every room, and using a closet for a wiring closet rather than having it all terminate in the office.

BTW, insurance companies suck. Apparently there is no such beast as replacement cost insurance on flood. They sure don't advertise this though. Meaning even after insurance paid me for my losses, I'm still $35k in the hole. -=sigh=- Oh, and apparently, CD's aren't covered, although I had 400 that sat in saltwater for over a month. The linings are all sticking to the CD's and in most cases, the silver has eaten away from the disc. Oh well.

If you live in an area that does NOT flood, check your homeowners policy and make sure you have the replacement value rider on it. Makes a HUGE difference for a very slight increase in premiums.

#270042 - 20/11/2005 20:20 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: lectric]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I know this is has been brought up before, but don't run wire, run conduit. Then don't use phone wire, use cat5 for everything.

Matthew

#270043 - 20/11/2005 20:26 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: matthew_k]
lectric
pooh-bah

Hrmmm.. not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I can afford to run conduit right now. I WAS, however, planning on using cat5 for everything.

#270044 - 20/11/2005 21:01 Re: high indoor humidity [Re: lectric]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Perhaps just run a bit of pipe from the box in the wall to the crawl space. Then you can add wire without tearing up the wall or fishing.

Matthew