Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272513 - 18/12/2005 14:43 Opening the yo-yo
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
So I did finally get an Apple Yo-Yo power supply which is broken, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get into it. I saw a page once, but my Google fu is failing. Anyone seen dissembly instructions for one of these beasties?

#272514 - 18/12/2005 15:25 Re: Opening the yo-yo [Re: Daria]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I had to open one once when I pulled on the DC cable too much and was worried that I'd damaged it. You can't open them without cracking the plastic and then damaging the inner metal case as you pry it open. Also, the pins of the AC socket are attached to the plastic, so I ended up having to solder in the mains cable as the socket was completely broken. After all that, the DC cable was fine anyway. It's now held together with hot melt glue, electrical tape and cable ties. Luckily it was my spare one anyway.

In short, you're better off buying a new one.

#272515 - 18/12/2005 21:23 Re: Opening the yo-yo [Re: David]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I had to open one once when I pulled on the DC cable too much and was worried that I'd damaged it. You can't open them without cracking the plastic and then damaging the inner metal case as you pry it open. Also, the pins of the AC socket are attached to the plastic, so I ended up having to solder in the mains cable as the socket was completely broken. After all that, the DC cable was fine anyway. It's now held together with hot melt glue, electrical tape and cable ties. Luckily it was my spare one anyway.

In short, you're better off buying a new one.

Not for what I want to do. I explicitly wanted a broken one, and it will have all of its power guts removed.

#272516 - 21/12/2005 04:28 Re: Opening the yo-yo [Re: Daria]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Let me guess, you want to make a real YO-YO out of it.

#272517 - 21/12/2005 05:31 Re: Opening the yo-yo [Re: gbeer]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Let me guess, you want to make a real YO-YO out of it.

Nope. I got it open, with a chisel. I will post pictures if/when I finish the project.