Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#277863 - 17/03/2006 23:41 Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
For ICQ users wishing to change to a Trillian front-end, I found a solution to a problem that a lot of people besides myslf seem to have experienced.

I installed Trillian, and as Tony F. said, it should have "just worked". It didn't. It would not connect to ICQ.

The solution in my case turned out to be leaving the hyphens out of my ICQ number when I set up the connection in Trillian. That is, UIN = 74876270, instead of the ICQ format 74-876-270.

tanstaafl.

#277864 - 18/03/2006 00:38 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Hyphens in an ICQ number? Never heard of such a thing.

#277865 - 18/03/2006 03:34 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
No hyphens in my UINs (Work / Home) or any of my friends. Maybe the newer versions of ICQ puts the hyphens in the UIN. I switched to Trillian around version .72 or .74 can't remember exactly. The only reason I switched was I got tired of how much ram ICQ was taking just to show me ads.

#277866 - 18/03/2006 07:22 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Definitely something that should be posted to the user forums for Trillian. Others should know, and Trillian should be bug-fixed to strip ICQ numbers of all nondigit characters.

Although, I'm with Bitt on the whole "since when do ICQ numbers have hyphens?" thing.

#277867 - 18/03/2006 12:53 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I used to have the same problem with phone numbers. I rewired by brain to automatically strip the hyphens. And since Bruno 2.0 the braces are also automatically dropped from area codes.

Bruno

#277868 - 20/03/2006 15:45 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Definitely something that should be posted to the user forums for Trillian. Others should know

Ummm... that's where I found out about it. :-)

Although, I'm with Bitt on the whole "since when do ICQ numbers have hyphens?" thing.

From my point of view... since always.

When I first signed on to ICQ, I they sent me my ICQ number with hyphens, and when I display information about anybody on my ICQ list, the UINs are always displayed with the hyphens. I've never seen an ICQ number any other way.

tanstaafl.

#277869 - 20/03/2006 16:34 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tanstaafl.]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I havn't seriously used ICQ in about 5 years, but I never saw any hyphens at the time. Perhaps it's a new thing.

What sorts of people (still) use ICQ? I always prefered it to AIM, but there wasn't much hope when I was keeping ICQ around for talking to one person, and we both had other conversations in AIM going.

Eventually, most of the features of ICQ got added to AIM (well, adium). However, I still miss ICQ's offline messaging.

Matthew

#277870 - 20/03/2006 20:37 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: matthew_k]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
What sorts of people (still) use ICQ? I always prefered it to AIM,

I gave up on ICQ when the client got bloated. I still have my number and account details written down somewhere, though.

#277871 - 20/03/2006 22:38 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: matthew_k]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I havn't seriously used ICQ in about 5 years, but I never saw any hyphens at the time. Perhaps it's a new thing.

My ICQ is: ICQ Pro v2003b, build #3890, dating back to July, 2003.

Every UIN that ICQ has ever displayed to me has been in the ###-###-### format (sometimes just ##-###-###, or even #-###-##, depending on how near the beginning the UIN was assigned For instance, Tony Fabris' ICQ num ber is 1-228-###, suggesting that he is truly an old-timer)

The annoying people who bombard me with ICQ spam wishing to be put on my user list all show up with hyphenated numbers. The six people on my contact list all display with hyphens.

If anybody wants to see a genuine ICQ screen complete with hyphenated ICQ number, see the attached. :-)

I notice that if I search for ICQ users by nickname (BTW, Tony, did you kow that there are about a dozen people on ICQ using the same nickname that you use?) then it lists the numbers without the hyphens.

Go figure...

What sorts of people (still) use ICQ?

Not me any more... ICQ made their product completely unusable by putting a changing ad below the box that you type into -- and every time the ad changes, the window focus changes to the ad box, and I can't contine typing until I take the mouse and reset the focus to the typing window.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
278386-ICQScreen.JPG (75 downloads)

#277872 - 20/03/2006 23:23 Re: Trillian --> ICQ Compatibility [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I bet they added the hyphens to help people remember their UIN. I wonder who here has the lowest ICQ# mine is 457648. The lowest I know of is a friend from high school with 6 digits 350XXX.