Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#280011 - 24/04/2006 12:33 What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country?
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
http://news.com.com/Congress+readies+new...ml?tag=nefd.top

Quote:
During a speech in November, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales endorsed the idea and said at the time that he would send Congress draft legislation. Such changes are necessary because new technology is "encouraging large-scale criminal enterprises to get involved in intellectual-property theft," Gonzales said, adding that proceeds from the illicit businesses are used, "quite frankly, to fund terrorism activities."

I'm getting fed up with this crap. Is there a sane place where I can move to and live a happy life without the goverment making everything against the law due to "Terrorism"?

#280012 - 24/04/2006 12:41 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: BAKup]
AudunE
journeyman

Loc: Trondheim, Norway
Quote:
I'm getting fed up with this crap. Is there a sane place where I can move to and live a happy life without the goverment making everything against the law due to "Terrorism"?

Look to Norway!

#280013 - 24/04/2006 14:10 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: BAKup]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What's wrong? You've got people in leadership positions that hold the exact opposite values that people in their positions should have. To list just a few obvious ones, you've got a UN ambassador that hates the UN and you've got an Attorney General that encourages people to break the law.

I recognize that people have different viewpoints and will have different opinions on what's important and what direction the country should take, and that's fine. But to have people in office undermining their own job descriptions is absurd.

#280014 - 24/04/2006 22:39 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
You've got people in leadership positions that hold the exact opposite values that people in their positions should have.

I have become a grumpy old curmudgeon -- the kind of crazy old coot I used to poke fun at when I was a kid.

What prompted this realization? The fact that I cannot call to mind a single decision made by any politician in the last 10 years, from dog catcher to president, that I have agreed with. Let me amplify that: I can't recall any decision that I wasn't vehemently opposed to. I cannot recall the last time I voted for a candidate -- all I have done is vote against them.

I feel strongly enough about this that I have decided that when I retire in 20 months, I will emigrate. Don't know for sure where just yet, but I won't be staying here.

tanstaafl.

#280015 - 25/04/2006 00:05 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: BAKup]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
As an example of what to do about new hardware with unacceptable use restrictions. I seem to recall that the public pretty much rejected the divix dvd players when they were introduced.

#280016 - 25/04/2006 00:09 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: tanstaafl.]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I feel strongly enough about this that I have decided that when I retire in 20 months, I will emigrate. Don't know for sure where just yet, but I won't be staying here.

My last act as an American (after I'm through with school here) will be to flip off the consular agent after dropping my shredded passport on his / her desk.

P.S. - Yes, I know that it isn't the consular agent's fault. Accept it as a humorous image and a venting of my dissapointment towards my government.

#280017 - 25/04/2006 00:51 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
What's wrong? You've got people in leadership positions that hold the exact opposite values that people in their positions should have.

I think Daniel Schorr summed it up in one of his radio essays:

"George W. Bush, contemptuous of the government he leads...."

Sadly, I think that is really true....and permeates the entire administration. Such as it is.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#280018 - 25/04/2006 07:33 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: AudunE]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
... or Holland....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#280019 - 25/04/2006 07:38 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: BAKup]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
http://news.com.com/Congress+readies+new...ml?tag=nefd.top

Quote:
During a speech in November, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales endorsed the idea and said at the time that he would send Congress draft legislation. Such changes are necessary because new technology is "encouraging large-scale criminal enterprises to get involved in intellectual-property theft," Gonzales said, adding that proceeds from the illicit businesses are used, "quite frankly, to fund terrorism activities."

LOL, yeah I'm sure Mohammad is running an mp3 download site in Afghanistan to buy some more RPGs. Why doesn't the CIA just shut down their paypal accounts?

There was a loose connection with drugs = terrorism, but this is absurd.

#280020 - 25/04/2006 13:04 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What prompted this realization? The fact that I cannot call to mind a single decision made by any politician in the last 10 years, from dog catcher to president, that I have agreed with.

The problem is not in disagreeing with the people in power, which will always happen, and that's fine, but the fact that the people in power are undermining their own positions.

Metaphorically, you might disagree with your IT manager's decision to use Windows instead of Unix, but the current administration is basically encouraging the equivalent of getting rid of the computers altogether and just use stone tablets and chisels.

#280021 - 25/04/2006 18:42 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: schofiel]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Yeah, everything is legal there

#280022 - 25/04/2006 18:44 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: ]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Yeah they always say drugs fund terrorism but forget to mention diamonds.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#280023 - 26/04/2006 01:04 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: bmihulka]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Or the US government. Who has funded far more terrorist groups and put a lot more weapons in the hands of terrorists than drug profits ever could.

This site scared me today: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

Bruno

#280024 - 30/04/2006 19:09 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
There was a loose connection with drugs = terrorism, but this is absurd.

Yeah, there were rumors of <insert your favourite three-letter agency> peddling then-new crack, mostly to California Blacks, in order to finance Nicaraguan terrorists (the same ones financed by proceeds of Oli North's arms sales to Iran), but nothing was substantiated....
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#280025 - 30/04/2006 21:04 Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My Country? [Re: bonzi]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, a lot of heroin comes from Afghanistan, but that was supposedly mostly curbed under the Taliban. Now that it's back in the hands of the warlords, it's apparently in full force again.