Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284747 - 21/07/2006 13:28 Carnivāle
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I remember that there were several other Carnivāle fans on the board, so in case those few of you didn't notice, the second season finally made it out on DVD this Tuesday. I promptly snatched one up at a local store (I even bought the soundtrack while I was there) and went home to relish in one of my favorite TV series. It was just as good as I remembered it, and the packaging on the second season is up to the same level of quality as the first. I think these might be the best produced DVD releases I have ever seen. The physical case is very well made, with great artwork, and the menus are top-notch. It's just a shame that I'm watching this show on such crappy TV, because it's one of the best looking shows I've ever watched.

Sadly, the extras are sparse on this set too. I think there are three commentaries, a couple short clips on how they do certain effects, and two longer features. One is the broadcast of the Museum of Radio and Television interview with the cast and creators, which I can't wait to watch (the one for Freaks and Geeks was pretty interesting), and the other feature is a 30 minute behind-the-scenes-style segment explaining the meaning behind most of the show. It wasn't that informative, if you pay close enough attention to the show while watching it, but I think I learned one or two little bits of info that I didn't gleam from watching the episodes.

Anyway, I just had to share in my joy of finally seeing this show finished on DVD. I would have loved to see how the complete 6-season story would have ended, but I think that the show, at least emotionally, ended well enough. It's hard to explain, but it swelled to such a climax at the end of season 2, that the resolution, despite having a huge cliffhanger, seemed satisfactory enough. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it so I don't feel so bad about another great, underappreciated show being cancelled before its time.

#284748 - 21/07/2006 13:54 Re: Carnivāle [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I bought the Firefly box set after a recommendation on this board and loved every episode. I am amazed at how it had zero exposure here in the UK.

So, what is Carnivāle about?

#284749 - 21/07/2006 14:14 Re: Carnivāle [Re: sein]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
YEAP... on my Netflix list... on it's way. MAN I was bummed when they killed this show. One of my favorites of all time.

#284750 - 21/07/2006 14:55 Re: Carnivāle [Re: sein]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I bought the Firefly box set after a recommendation on this board and loved every episode. I am amazed at how it had zero exposure here in the UK.

So, what is Carnivāle about?

I guess the easiest description is that Carnivāle is a story of the battle between good and evil set in the 1930's American dust bowl. The story its self has a fairly large mythology and story that is difficult to sum up. The show is also about some of the most impressive cinematography and set design you'll ever see on TV. It's very slow to unravel, but it's worth it.

I think that this is definitely a Netflix/rental recommendation. It's hard to tell people to go out and buy this one like they did with Firefly, since the Carnivāle box sets have never dipped below $65 in price, as far as I've seen. I bought each the day they came out for $80, just because I didn't want to wait for them to ship. My best guess is that they want to recoup some of the enormous cost of producing the show.

#284751 - 21/07/2006 15:35 Re: Carnivāle [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Thanks a lot for trying to describe it. I'll probably read a bit more about it and (shock! horror!) torrent an episode or two before I decide to buy the DVDs. It does sound great

#284752 - 21/07/2006 15:56 Re: Carnivāle [Re: sein]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I must admit, I downloaded the first 6-or-so episodes because I caught the show mid-way through its first season. Yet another support of the "tried it before I bought it" argument for file sharing. I got 6 episodes for free, then gave HBO $160 (in addition, of course, to the monthly charges for their service).