Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#286938 - 20/09/2006 14:07 FTP and Content Scanning
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Help!

I am trying to ftp files between my home pc, my work pc and my cousin's pc. Between home and work all is fine. Between home or work to my cousin's I keep getting messages stating Content Scanning Enabled and the file gets scanned in pieces before it get downloaded to me. He's tried different ftp servers on his and we are now both using Filezilla Server.

I can't find anything in the settings about content scanning and he's disabled everything on his pc that might cause it (firewall, windows defender, anti-virus...)

I also get the same message on my web host (Siteocity).

This wouldn't be a big deal but I cannot upload or download large fiels without the download failing at some point. I tried uploading a video (47 megs) to my webhost the other night and it would always end up with transfer errors and wouldn't complete. I try to download large files from my cousin and I get the same error after any given period of time. This is becoming a real pain in the butt and I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere on the web.

Does anybody have any idea? Is there any way around this?

I am also using Filezilla FTP Client.

Rene

Attachments
287531-Image1.gif (131 downloads)

#286939 - 20/09/2006 14:37 Re: FTP and Content Scanning [Re: ShadowMan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My guess would be that your cousin's ISP is running some sort of transparent proxy that's doing virus scanning. Whether it's finding a virus and breaking the connection or it's broken, or it's something else causing the problem I don't know.

One thing I can think of that you can try is looking into if there are any encryption options you can turn on. If the data stream is encrypted, the scanner can't do anything. It doesn't prevent it from trying, though.

Another idea would be to try using a different port. It's unlikely that their transparent proxy is looking at anything but the default FTP port. (Yes, I know FTP uses multiple ports, but if it's not looking at the control channel, then it can't magically find the data channel.)

#286940 - 20/09/2006 14:40 Re: FTP and Content Scanning [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I tried uploading a video (47 megs) to my webhost the other night and it would always end up with transfer errors and wouldn't complete.

This might be a completely unrelated problem to the other issues you're talking about here. It's common for web servers to have a file-upload-size limit. I run into this one all the time.

With regard to the other issues: No idea.