Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#286853 - 18/09/2006 21:40 CD drive can't read audio CDs?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Anyone with a Mac ever have an issue when inserting any audio CD? My development mini refuses to read any audio CD, whether original or CDR. It just says that the disc is unreadable. Ony one disc managed to come up - a CD by Jet. But that one wouldn't play nor show up in iTunes (there was an icon on it of a NO-ENTER symbol and a Desktop folder - obviously done on purpose to foil iTunes)

I have done a bit of searching but haven't found any info on the net. I think I'm headed for a trip to the Apple store and the Genuius bar, huh?

#286854 - 19/09/2006 05:31 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My mini gets real upset at certain CD-R media. Never tried an audio CD. Hm.

#286855 - 19/09/2006 06:29 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've not had any problems with my PowerPC mini. It sounds like the CD drive inside is defective though.

#286856 - 19/09/2006 06:37 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: tman]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't had any problems with my PPC mini either. I've only tried one audio cd before though.

#286857 - 19/09/2006 08:32 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: hybrid8]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Have you ever tried to play any "protected" CDs in it that might have done something bad to your drivers / software?

#286858 - 19/09/2006 14:21 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: pgrzelak]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

No, no protected content was tried before. In fact yesterday was the first time an audio CD had ever been inserted into that machine. It's been used solely for software development for the past few months. It's a hassle, but I think I'll take it in to the Apple Store (after backing it up). Unfortunately, from esperience, I don't trust any other authorized Mac service centers.

#286859 - 21/09/2006 04:58 Re: CD drive can't read audio CDs? [Re: pgrzelak]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I still don't know what caused it, but it seems to be working after a complete format and re-installation of Mac OS 10.4

Earlier today I connected a firewire CD-RW and it had the same issue. I'd just get a message the disk could not be read when any audio cd was inserted. Just audio cds though.

So it must have been some software that was installed, perhaps an update or perhaps iTunes 7, I don't know. I do know that when I wanted to do the last SW Update earlier in the week it wouldn't get anything. I had to end up downloading iTunes7 manually.

This is a development and test system that I wanted to clean out and start from fresh anyway, so it's no big deal. I'm glad I decided to do that now instead of possibly wasting a trip to the Apple store.

My girlfriend will also be happy because I've created her a user account on the system and will be showing her how to rip CDs in iTunes (encoded through LAME of course). Which also reminds me that I just nuked two songs she bought from iTunes last night. Hmmm. hopefully they let you download them again...