Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#286167 - 29/08/2006 19:35 Replace Netflix?
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
http://www.moviebeam.com/

What do you guys/gals think?

Anyone have any real world experience with it?

- Jon

#286168 - 29/08/2006 20:03 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I heard about it on NPR. I don't think it will replace Netflix as, as I understand it, you have zero control over what content it puts on the box. It just always has 100 movies on it and they get cycled out. A very cool concept, though. I think that it's exactly a lot of people will pay for. My parents would probably enjoy it. Plus, it's over-the-air. No internet bills or anything.

You're only allowed to watch the rented movie for 24 hours before you have to rent it again.

#286169 - 29/08/2006 21:44 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
visuvius
addict

I don't see how this is better than netflix. $4 and $5 for a movie that you can only watch for 24 hours doesn't seem like that great a deal. The only cool thing about it seems to be the fact that you can browse the movies from your couch.

I'm pretty annoyed with netflix right now what with their throttling policy but its still the best option for me right now. Actually, I'm thinking about signing up for blockbuster as well and having the $10/month plan for each. Hopefully then, throttling won't affect me as much.

This thins is sort of cool, movies need to be cheaper.

#286170 - 29/08/2006 21:52 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: visuvius]
jbauer
veteran

I like the idea of downloading HD movies, but it sounds like the quality isn't what I'm used to on DirecTV HBO and HDNet, etc.

I think the XBox 360 HD DVD drive is gonna be the right solution for that.

- Jon

#286171 - 30/08/2006 15:41 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think the XBox 360 HD DVD drive is gonna be the right solution for that.

Until a movie you really want to see only comes out on BluRay.

Thats a big reason why I refuse to buy either until there is one format, or at least a dual format player. My choice in what movies I wan't to watch shouldn't come down to an arbitrary decision by a movie studio to support one HD format over another.

#286172 - 30/08/2006 16:53 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: drakino]
jbauer
veteran

I hear you, but from what I've read and seen, I really believe that HD DVD is gonna win this war. I'm confident enough to drop my $200 (rumored XBox HD DVD price) on it.

- Jon

#286173 - 30/08/2006 18:06 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I hear you, but from what I've read and seen, I really believe that HD DVD is gonna win this war. I'm confident enough to drop my $200 (rumored XBox HD DVD price) on it.

As I've said all along, I think both companies are going to lose, but HD-DVD is going to win over BluRay. If that's enough for you, then cool. I'll wait until the time when the players come down to $150-200, and the media is always the same price as (okay, maybe a couple dollars more than) the standard def version.

#286174 - 30/08/2006 18:23 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
visuvius
addict

I'm pretty much on the same track as you. I think HD-DVD is going to win out, and since I really want an Xbox 360, the version coming out in november with the HD-DVD player should suit me perfectly.

I really want to sign up for HD-DVD movies through netflix.

#286175 - 30/08/2006 18:41 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
But the XBox one is an addon to the XBox and will be component-only, which means that, due to the ICT flag, many movies will only be allowed to be 960×540 instead of 1920x1080. That's one-quarter the pixels.

#286176 - 31/08/2006 11:58 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: drakino]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Until a movie you really want to see only comes out on BluRay.

Thats a big reason why I refuse to buy either until there is one format, or at least a dual format player. My choice in what movies I wan't to watch shouldn't come down to an arbitrary decision by a movie studio to support one HD format over another.

The only reason I haven't purchased a high-def DVD player yet is not knowing which will be better supported. If Blu-Ray was going to have all the movies HD-DVD has and its exclusive ones, I wouldn't mind dropping the money on a player now. The problem is, as far as I've seen, it isn't possible to tell which movies will be available where, except for those already released.

I figure I'll let somebody else buy the BetaMax version and then when there is a clear winner, get that one.

#286177 - 31/08/2006 14:40 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: wfaulk]
visuvius
addict

I did not know this. Man that blows. That sort of changes my home theater plan. Why the hell would they do that???

I have no idea whether I should go with HD-DVD or Blueray. I'm definitely going to get the Wii, and I was going to get the PS3 but I decided on the xbox after talking to some dude at Gamestop. I dunno now.

I BOUGHT A SATURN DAMN IT. I refuse to get duped again!!

#286178 - 31/08/2006 14:51 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The down-converting for analog output is only triggered by a flag in the DVD. Currently, only one of the major studios claims it is going to use that flag, but I wouldn't be surprised if the others changed their minds.

#286179 - 31/08/2006 15:34 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: visuvius]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Right now, Bluray still has the most movie studios behind it, but HD DVD has more movies on the shelves. Neither format has 100% movie studio participation, and thus far the studios supporting both have yet to actually release the same movies on both formats.

For example, if your a SciFi fan, you have to have both players. Otherwise you only get Serenity on HD DVD, or only Fifth Element on Bluray. There is no way to enjoy both in HD on a single player or format.

Quote:
The problem is, as far as I've seen, it isn't possible to tell which movies will be available where, except for those already released.

Wikipedia does have a list of current and future announced titles for both Bluray and HD DVD.

I'm not sure why people are already declaring a winner, since it is far from over at this point. It seems odd to me to invest in something that still has two sides clearly fighting each other, and neither even being out for even a year at this point. Consumers really don't have much power in things like this, and I think this one will be settled by the retailers. If a few major stores pull one format off the shelves, it will likely start the avalanche needed for the other side to win.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to get the Wii, and I was going to get the PS3 but I decided on the xbox after talking to some dude at Gamestop.

For the game consoles, it's mostly down to what game titles you want to play and enjoy. If your planning on also watching HD movies on a console, then price wise the PS3 and the 360 are about the same. PS3 is either $500 or $600, both capable of playing Bluray, and both with a hard drive. The $600 model will have HDMI out for full 1080p support on movies if the ICT flag does get turned on more frequently. The 360 is base price $300 or 4$00, then add in the rumored HD DVD price of $200 and you have the same $500 or $600 deal. However, the 360 lower end does not have a hard drive (something I consider essential), and neither model have HDMI out, thus if an HD DVD movie enforces ICT, you will have a 540p picture.

Microsoft has said they would likely release a Bluray drive for the 360 if the format wins, however they didn't define any type of timeframe for such a declaration. Sony hasn't said anything about allowing the PS3 to read HD DVD at all. So assuming gaming wise the 360 looks better, it might be the way to go movie wise as well, with enough time to see what format wins.

#286180 - 26/09/2006 01:49 Re: Replace Netflix? [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've been seeing some ads for Vongo on the TV lately. It's a download service, $10 a month for unlimited downloads, I think. It's only attachable to your TV if your computer is. The selection seems pretty lousy, too. (I had to download the application to see anything at all, but didn't have to set up an account.)

I think it's a good idea, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.