Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287248 - 28/09/2006 23:16 OSX and Windows KVM Hell
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
The parents are getting a new mac mini, but they need access to the old computer for a while while they cut over. Seemed simple enough, pick up a KVM switch and be done with it.

Bought a KVM switch at frys, iogear, I think. PS2 connections, and a USB-PS2 adapter for the mini. I didn't think twice about it, figured it was a no brainer. Got it here, and it didn't work. It would work on one computer but not the other. I can't remember the specifics, but it wasn't pretty.

Gave up on that one, ordered a USB one from monoprice (a great place for cables, by the way). Got it, it didn't work. Tried it on a two PC installation and it still didn't work. The closest it ever came to working was with the keyboard and video working, and using two mice. Frusterated, I RMAed the sucker, and ordered a third.

Decided that I'd never appreciated the one I inherited at work which works flawlessly with my mini there and every computer I've ever hooked it up to. Looked at what model it was, decided I'd be buying an Aten. Found that that model which is at least 5 years old still cost $100 on the used market. Decided that was a bit much for two damn computers.

Ordered a new Aten. By this time I needed two KVM switches, one for a server environment, one for the mini and ol' dell at the parents' home. Ordered a CS-84A for the server environment, AFAIK it's working fine, though I didn't install it.

I ordered a CS-62U. Arrived back for a visit today, plugged everything in, and it seems to work. Start playing with getting the mini to enable VT-X (easy to do, btw) and notice something is wrong.

The backspace key works as a delete key. Shift backspace works as a backspace key. I think that's odd, try out the delete key. It works as a delete key should. Try shift-delete. It doesn't do anything, which seems odd to me, apperently there are three different "delete" key codes. I bust out the "manual" of the kvm switch, and see that it specifies what keys are remapped to what, and it says the backspace key is mapped to the delete key, which would be well and good if they had realized there are two "delete" keys in the apple world.

Anyone have any ideas? I hate to have to run software to remap keys. I can bring an apple keyboard down next time and try that out. Is there a simple way to fix this? I know I've used software in the past on my mini at work that remapped HID buttons, and could probably make that work, but it seems like a pain for a simple thing that should Just Work.

Rant Over.

Matthew
PS: The anti-rant feature of the BBS where it tells you the form has expired is no match for my Snarf&Barf backup.

#287249 - 29/09/2006 13:31 Re: OSX and Windows KVM Hell [Re: matthew_k]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
PS: The anti-rant feature of the BBS where it tells you the form has expired is no match for my Snarf&Barf backup.

Hijacking thread....
Said backup system... Is this merely ctrl-A, ctrl-C before pressing submit? Or is Snarf&Barf a name for a Firefox plugin I haven't heard about yet?

#287250 - 30/09/2006 00:50 Re: OSX and Windows KVM Hell [Re: tfabris]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Is this merely ctrl-A, ctrl-C before pressing submit?

Yes, that's the extent of it. Now I just expect it when composing long posts.

Matthew

#287251 - 30/09/2006 16:35 Re: OSX and Windows KVM Hell [Re: matthew_k]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Now I just expect it when composing long posts.

+1
A little burn goes a long way.

Meanwhile- re: KVMs
We've had problems with KVMs at work where we access PCs via two work stations (standard set-up- one KVM per PC). There seems to be some magic sequence to powering up the KVM and the PC. I can't remember the details. Once we get it running properly nobody's allowed to touch it.