Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289088 - 01/11/2006 01:47 Open Source CMS test drive site
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
http://www.opensourcecms.com/ lets you test drive sundry open source CMS, Blog, Wiki, photo and other systems. I thought some here might be interested.

-Zeke

Edited by Ezekiel (01/11/2006 01:48)

#289089 - 01/11/2006 19:08 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: Ezekiel]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I spent 3-4 minutes on the site and couldn't find a single reason why I should care about anything there. No disresepct intended to you for posting the news of course.

It just looks like a poorly put together collection of pages and none of them seem to sell me on the idea of investigating further, let alone why I should care about that CMS versus any other (Joomla, Mambo, Drupal, etc..)

Any insight?

#289090 - 01/11/2006 20:49 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: hybrid8]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Well, of course if you're not looking into CMS or other online colaborative systems, there's no value. But having found this site last night after browsing dozens O.S. CMS web sites & sourceforge pages, reading through ungodly amounts of useless buzzwords, it was nice to find someplace where I could quickly log in and fiddle without having to do any downloading/install/setup.

That said, I didn't find anything that looked like it would suit my needs - so there's value in knowing that. The value in that site's the live test drive part and a collection of links to developer sites. Googling 'Open Source Content Document Management' does return an awfully large number of hits, so I found that site useful.

Also, since there have been a couple of 'which bbs/etc/etc is better' type threads here in the past few years, I thought there might be some interested parties. (Yourself excepted so it seems )

-Zeke

#289091 - 02/11/2006 02:21 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: Ezekiel]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm probably more interested in CMS than most people here. I'm just saying that what I found there just didn't come close to the other "Open" products I mentioned. They also have demos available and sites that are much more captivating and informative. Though all CMS sites do seems a little heavy on the buzz.

In the end it was simpler/faster for me to manage my whole site manually with an offline site program like GoLive and good FTP program like Transmit. I'd still like to move to something like Joomla and integrate suport for WordPress, but I have no time for that right now and the learning curve with most of these systems as well as the modification needed don't leave me eager to start.

#289092 - 02/11/2006 03:53 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: hybrid8]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
I'm probably more interested in CMS than most people here. I'm just saying that what I found there just didn't come close to the other "Open" products I mentioned. They also have demos available and sites that are much more captivating and informative. Though all CMS sites do seems a little heavy on the buzz.

You do understand that the website posted is not a new CMS system, it is a website that has ALL the other open source CMS systems installed for you to demo. I thought it was incredibly cool. It looks like all of them get re-installed every two hours for a fresh start if you want to mess around with them further. Why bother tracking down all the CMS's web sites and demo areas when this site gives them all to you at once?

#289093 - 02/11/2006 11:38 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: hybrid8]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Quote:
a little heavy on the buzz.

No joke.

Joomla demo on the opensourcecms.com site, fyi.

-Zeke

Edited by Ezekiel (02/11/2006 11:40)

#289094 - 02/11/2006 12:02 Re: Open Source CMS test drive site [Re: Ezekiel]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Joomla can be a right pain in the arse, especially when it comes to WYSIWYG editing, one editor works for one component and f*cks another etc...

Not bad in general though.