Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293541 - 07/02/2007 08:50 I hate macs
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Well, not personally, but this is a funny article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html

Edited by furtive (07/02/2007 08:51)

#293542 - 07/02/2007 11:36 Re: I hate macs [Re: furtive]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
since they are best known for the television series Peep Show - probably the best sitcom of the past five years - in which Mitchell plays a repressed, neurotic underdog, and Webb plays a selfish, self-regarding poseur. So when you see the ads, you think, "PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers." In other words, it is a devastatingly accurate campaign.

Hit the nail on the head with that one.

Andy M

#293543 - 07/02/2007 15:04 Re: I hate macs [Re: furtive]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was talking with some people about this article the other day. Seems clear to me that this idiot hasn't used a Mac in about five years. I personally "enjoyed" the jab about Macs not being "proper" computers. As if Windows is the be-all-end-all to computing.

I could go on about how MacOS X is a more "proper" computer than Windows will ever be, but that's ridiculous, because the notion of one computer being inherently better than another is absurd. He claims that Mac users are elitist, but he's bashing their computers as much as they theoretically bash his. That seems just as elitist to me, but based on less fact.

If he wants to complain about a lack of games, fair enough, but that's hardly the computer's fault; it's the fault of the game manufacturers only building for one platform. You don't hear people calling the XBox crap simply because it won't play Mario Cart.

Other than games, there's little a Windows machine can do that a Mac can't. Sure, there's more freeware, but 90% of that freeware is crap anyway. Plus, the Mac gives you a more utile scripting system, both via AppleScript and via Unix scripting. Now that Macs are running equivalently fast processors, I can't see any reason not to get one as long as you don't have a particular application tying you to Windows.

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to. If you want to continue using Windows, that's fine. There are many valid reasons to do so. I got a Windows computer for my mother because there's no reason for her to learn a new UI paradigm. (Or for me to try to teach it to her and respond to fifty phone calls a week.) But just because you choose to use Windows doesn't mean that you have to bash the Mac. Or the other way around. Certainly the ads do. It's not really very good advertising practice to point out the merits of competitors.

#293544 - 07/02/2007 15:20 Re: I hate macs [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
It just makes me want to write an article for The Times titled....

I Hate Stupid Guaridian Readers

I guess you don't have to be much of a writer to get on their site

Cheers

Cris.

#293545 - 07/02/2007 19:15 Re: I hate macs [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I guess you don't have to be much of a writer to get on their site

Considering we share a building with them, they do appear to be a bunch of tossers.

I still agree with author that using Mitchell and Webb could send out the wrong signals, as the majority of people in the UK that have heard of them know them as Mark and Jeremy.

Andy M