Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291760 - 27/12/2006 03:56 Children Of Men (movie)...
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Wow. If you liked "V For Vendetta" and/or "28 Days Later" then see "Children Of Men."

Nuff said.

- Jon

#291761 - 27/12/2006 09:32 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
spider

sweet, I'll have to check that out thanks!

DREAMLiGHT released a DVDSCR on 12/13/2006 for all interested. However it is PAL. But, PUKKA did put out a 2 disc xvid.

7.9/10 (8,959 votes) on IMDB.com

#291762 - 27/12/2006 17:04 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
see "Children Of Men."

Yup, quality film highly recommended! (As someone who's also a fan of the other two movies Jon mentioned).

Andy M

#291763 - 27/12/2006 17:17 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: andym]
jbauer
veteran

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/childrenofmen/hd/

There are scenes in this movie that are absolutely unreal. I can't fathom how they were done. I guess I'll need to wait for the DVD to find out more. If you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about...

andym, you saw it?

How do I turn on that spoiler feature? I don't see it in the UBBCode cheat sheet...

- Jon

#291764 - 27/12/2006 17:23 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Put the text inside [spoiler] tags.

#291765 - 27/12/2006 17:26 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: wfaulk]
jbauer
veteran

Cool. Thanks.

Spoiler:
Fb ubj gur S qvq gurl qb gung fprar jurer gur "onq thlf" nggnpxrq gur pne? Be gur ovegu? Be gur VZCBFFVOYL ybat sebag yvar onggyr fprar jurer Gurb ybfg Xrr naq gura sbhaq ure ntnva? Gubfr fprarf whfg oyrj zr njnl! Nyfb, qba'g lbh YBIR gur pynffvp zhfvp naq gur Cvax Syblq "Navznyf" nyohz pbire ersreraprf (Onggrefrn Fgngvba naq vasyngrq cvt)?

- Jon

#291766 - 27/12/2006 17:49 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
andym, you saw it?

Yes, I saw it a couple of months back. A film that looks great on TV and IMHO even better on the big screen.

Spoiler:
Gur onggyr va Orkuvyy vf oevyyvnag, gur fvmr bs gur ybg gurl zhfg'ir hfrq jnf gehyl vzcerffvir

Andy M

#291767 - 27/12/2006 20:26 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Damn, I wasn't even aware this was out already. I mentally marked it as a "must see" after seeing the trailer for the first time. My girlfriend was equally intrigued. And we both quite liked V and 28 Days Later.

#291768 - 27/12/2006 21:35 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It was limited release on Christmas day, it's supposed to go into wide release on January 7th.

#291769 - 27/12/2006 21:37 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It was limited release on Christmas day, it's supposed to go into wide release on January 7th.

According to IMDB, the general US release is the 29th of December.

Andy M

#291770 - 27/12/2006 21:40 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Yeah, it was only playing at one theater here in SF...

Andy - did you see it on the small screen via the DREAMLiGHT DVDSCR posting?

This is a pretty amazing # if you are familiar with Rotten Tomatoes, btw: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/children_of_men/

- Jon

#291771 - 27/12/2006 21:42 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: hybrid8]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Damn, I wasn't even aware this was out already. I mentally marked it as a "must see" after seeing the trailer for the first time. My girlfriend was equally intrigued. And we both quite liked V and 28 Days Later.

I'd say that "Children Of Men" has themes sorta along the lines of V and FEELS a lot like "28 Days Later" (post apocalyptic, society in decay, Blade Runner-esque environment)...

There's some interesting trivia about the movie on imdb. I'd recommend you see the movie with as little extraneous info as possible, though.

For what it's worth - my GF HATED "28 Days Later" - she couldn't even watch it. Creeped her out. She liked "Children Of Men", but not as much as I did.

- Jon

#291772 - 27/12/2006 22:38 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Andy - did you see it on the small screen via the DREAMLiGHT DVDSCR posting?

No, I saw it at the cinema when it was released back in September. A quick check reveals the DVD is out in the UK on the 15th of January.

Andy M

#291773 - 27/12/2006 22:44 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd say that "Children Of Men" has themes sorta along the lines of V and FEELS a lot like "28 Days Later" (post apocalyptic, society in decay, Blade Runner-esque environment)...

I thought it was interesting as I'd only just seen Aeon Flux, which essentially deals with the same premise (world-wide infertility) but attacks it from a completely different perspective. Totally underwhelmed with Flux, although Charlize Theron was hot!

Quote:
There's some interesting trivia about the movie on imdb.

Hmm, which bit? I thought the crap about the make and model of bus used in the film was rather amusing, although it failed to impress the person I went to see the film with!

Andy M

#291774 - 27/12/2006 23:00 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: andym]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Hmm, which bit? I thought the crap about the make and model of bus used in the film was rather amusing, although it failed to impress the person I went to see the film with!

This stuff:

Spoiler:
Bar fprar pbagnvaf n pne qevivat cnfg n urnivyl thneqrq tngr naq bire n oevqtr gbjneqf jung vf va snpg Onggrefrnf Cbjre Fgngvba. Orgjrra gur sbhe fzbxr fgnpxf bs gur cbjre fgngvba pna or frra n sybngvat cvt, n ersrerapr gb gur pbire vzntr bs gur Cvax Syblq nyohz "Navznyf". ----- Vg vf pynvzrq gung Rzzn Jngfba jnf bssrerq gur ebyr bs Xrr ohg ghearq vg qbja qhr gb fpurqhyvat pbasyvpgf. ----- Unysjnl guebhtu guvf svyz, jura Bjra vf jnyxvat qbja gur enzc ba Onggrefrn Cbjre Fgngvba, n fgrapvyrq vzntr pna or frra ba n jnyy bs gjb cbyvprzra xvffvat. Guvf vzntr jnf perngrq ol "Onaxfl" n Oevgvfu "threvyyn negvfg" jub fcrpvnyvmrf va guvf glcr bs jbex. Gurer ner nyfb bgure jbexf bs guvf negvfg va gur svyz, bar bs gurz vf n puvyq ybbxvat qbja n fubc, va fgrapvy, nf jryy. ----- Jura Zvevnz vf gnxra bss gur ohf va gur ershtrr pnzc lbh pna urne gur fbat "Neorvg Znpug Serv" ol Gur Yvoregvarf. "Neorvg znpug serv" zrnavat "Jbex funyy frg lbh serr" - jnf jevggra nobir gur ragenapr bs n ahzore bs Anmv pbapragengvba pnzcf.

#291775 - 27/12/2006 23:14 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: andym]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
No, I saw it at the cinema when it was released back in September. A quick check reveals the DVD is out in the UK on the 15th of January.

Damn, September? That also happened with "Snatch" when it was released in EU WAY before it was released in the US.

Wonder why the distributors decide to release it in such a staggered way...

- Jon

#291776 - 27/12/2006 23:59 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Just watching the trailer has made me feel hopeless and insecure (infertility inducing rioting, martial law, and concentration camps?). Crazy how a movie can have that effect.

The deciding issue for me to see the movie is: do they tell you why woman are infertile and/or resolve the issue? The movie seems so damn depressing that I'd be bummed for a week without a reasonably happy ending.

And having slightly read the spoilers, I wonder if LotR's Massive engine was used for effects. Apparently it was good enough three years ago, imagine it now.

jbauer: The movie was released in theaters, not DVD, in September. I remember seeing signs for it while in the UK for the meet. The question becomes, why do studios release movie to DVD so soon. Apparently, it's a good movie, so why give it the quick shuffle?

#291777 - 28/12/2006 00:06 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: FireFox31]
jbauer
veteran

Well - FireFox - maybe you won't want to see it then... They don't give you all the answers, and it is a tad depressing. :-)

Spoiler:
Vg QBRF unir n fbeg bs unccl raqvat gubhtu...

Yeah, I understood that it was released in theaters in Sept - why would they do that? Why not release it everywhere at the same time? I'm sure there's a good marketing reason for it...

- Jon

#291778 - 28/12/2006 00:46 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Why not release it everywhere at the same time? I'm sure there's a good marketing reason for it...

I remember reading somewhere that the reason was down to film stock and the numbers of prints made. You can get round needing loads of copies by staggering the releases and moving the prints from country to country.

Apparently digital cinema would put an end to that problem and enable simultaneous global releases.

....or something like that.

Andy M

#291779 - 28/12/2006 00:46 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It was a festival movie and didn't receive wide release in September. Many places premiered it in October and November for example. Since it's a European production it no doubt had European distribution long ago. US distribution probably came around later and fitting it into a busy North American movie schedule was probably difficult. This is all just conjecture of course, but at least it makes sense in my mind.

Definitely looking forward to seeing it. I just saw Superman Returns and need some decent cinema on the horizon to help me forget it.

#291780 - 30/12/2006 07:51 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Here are some of the cinematography secrets from Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
Sbe bar fprar, fubg va bar rkgraqrq gnxr, n fcrpvny pnzren evt jnf vairagrq ol Qbttvpnz Flfgrzf, qrirybcrq sebz Qbttvpnz Flfgrzf' Cbjre Fyvqr flfgrz — naq n iruvpyr jnf zbqvsvrq fb gung frngf pbhyq or znqr gb gvyg naq ybjre npgbef bhg bs gur jnl bs gur pnzren. Gur jvaqfuvryq bs gur pne va juvpu gur svir npgbef ebqr jnf qrfvtarq gb gvyg bhg bs gur jnl gb nyybj pnzren zbirzrag va naq bhg guebhtu gur sebag jvaqfperra. N perj bs sbhe, vapyhqvat gur QC naq pnzren bcrengbe, ebqr ba gur ebbs. Nyy bs guvf gbbx cynpr, va bar haphg fubg, juvyr ahzrebhf qnatrebhf fghagf vaibyivat sver, guebja zvffvyrf, naq fghag snyyf jrer rkrphgrq jvgu zrgvphybhf gvzvat, juvyr gur npgbef cresbez, qbqtvat gur zbivat pnzren.

Va nabgure fprar, srnghevat na nezl bs npgbef, nyfb fubg va bar rkgraqrq gnxr, uhaqerqf bs ohyyrg fubgf, gnax zbhagrq 'ovt tha' vzcnpgf naq bgure clebgrpuavp rssrpgf fheebhaq gur cevapvcny npgbef nf gurl zbir uhaqerqf bs srrg nybat n fgerrg, vagb n ohvyqvat naq hc n syvtug bs fgnvef, unir n fprar jvgu qvnybthr, qhevat juvpu gurer vf pbagvahbhf thacynl naq rkcybfvbaf, naq n ergerng onpx qbja naq bhg bs gur ohvyqvat. Gur hfr bs n unaquryq svyz pnzren — jubfr yraf orpbzrf fcnggrerq oevrsyl ng bar cbvag jvgu 'oybbq' naq qveg sebz na rkcybfvba — yraqf na nyzbfg qbphzragnel srryvat gb gur pvarzngbtencul.

#291781 - 30/12/2006 13:06 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Saw it. It was good, but not as good as V or 28 Days Later. There just seemed to be too many pieces missing for me to consider it superb.

Why did "they" pull the (sort of midwife) woman from the bus and let everyone else move on? Seemed just too convenient a plot device to remove a character from future shots.

#291782 - 23/01/2007 22:35 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: hybrid8]
jbauer
veteran

#291783 - 11/04/2007 02:09 Re: Children Of Men (movie)... [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Finally got around to seeing this. Awesome movie. The one movie it reminded me of more than any other was Brazil. Well, other than the ending. I'd liked to have seen a different ending. But that was about it for the entirety of the problems I have with the movie. Early on it told me not to expect anything, and it (almost) held true to that promise. So often I see movies and I know what's going to happen well before the movie shows it to me. This was most definitely not one of those films.

Spoiler:
V guvax gur orfg raqvat sbe gur zbivr jbhyq unir orra Gurb (nccneragyl) qrnq va gur obng jvgu Xrr naq gur onol, jnvgvat. Va bgure jbeqf, V guvax vg fubhyq unir orra yrsg bcra abg bayl nf gb vs Gur Uhzna Cebwrpg jnf tbvat gb cvpx gurz hc, ohg vs vg rira rkvfgrq.

Nabgure cbffvoyvygl zvtug unir orra gung gurl (Gur Uhzna Cebwrpg, gur Svfu, be gur tbireazrag -- jubrire) trg gur onol naq jr qvfpbire gung gurl unir uhaqerqf be gubhfnaqf bs onovrf gung gurl'ir pbyyrpgrq bire gur lrnef. Gung zvtug raq hc orvat n yvggyr cernpul, gubhtu. Abg gung gur erfg bs gur zbivr qvqa'g unir vgf cernpul zbzragf.