Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#297065 - 16/04/2007 02:46 iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions?
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I'm dismayed that the iPod nano dock connector audio output is not effected by the iPod software volume control. Is there any way around this? Or is there an alternate design for the following:

I designed and began creating total factory iPod integration for my sister's 1993 Volvo 240 wagon. It has separate amp and headunit, so I planned to put a source switcher between them to allow iPod aux in. Instead of using the lame headphone jack, I planned to use an iPod dock connector to RCA and power connector to fully power and get audio from the iPod.

Unfortunately, the iPod volume control doesn't effect the dock connector audio output. So, it blasts at full amplified volume (which isn't painfully loud, really). Using the headphone jack, even through the amplifier with iPod volume at full blast, is too quiet.

The only redesign solution I can think of is to add some volume control between the source switcher and the amp. Then, leave the stock radio on full blast, let the iPod be on full blast, and use this other volume knob. I have no idea how to create that and would rather not have a separate volume knob. I'm trying to keep this looking totally stock, so that would ruin it.

It's a silly plan. I should just get an Alpine with iPod input, but my sister wants to keep everything totally stock. Seemed like such an ellegant solution.....

#297066 - 16/04/2007 11:09 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: FireFox31]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Sorry can't suggest any fixes but if you do end up with an alpine I would like to hear how it works.

I looked at some online and this one sounds the best for ipod usage http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X001

The only problem is there is no cd player it will run a changer though.

Edited by msaeger (16/04/2007 11:13)

Matt

#297067 - 16/04/2007 11:23 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: FireFox31]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I think I will use an RCA variable level attenuator, aka: volume knob. Now I see why the Belkin dock connector + 1/8" jack + cigarette adapter (which I currently use) has a volume knob; because the dock connector outputs audio at full blast.

It's amazing how much this install is costing in individual $5 and $20 parts. Not as much as that Alpine, which looks really darn cool for iPod integration.

#297068 - 16/04/2007 11:27 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
is there an alternate design

Well, it isn't made by Apple, but there's this nifty player called an empeg that might work instead.

Cheers

#297069 - 16/04/2007 19:09 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: mlord]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Well, it isn't made by Apple, but there's this nifty player called an empeg that might work instead.

Mmmm, sounds interesting.. Tell me more about this 'empeg' thing.

Andy M

#297070 - 17/04/2007 00:22 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: andym]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Ah, it's for my sister's car. She wants everything as bone stock as possible. An iPod dock cable sneaking out of the dash won't bother her, neither will upgraded speakers behind stock grilles. empeg? That's just too much to ask. And I wouldn't want it to get stolen.

If it were my 240, considering that it has two radio locations, I'd have an Alpine and empeg in there in no time.

#297071 - 17/04/2007 21:38 Re: iPod dock connector volume problem - suggestions? [Re: FireFox31]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Line out is supposed to be fixed level, hence isn't controlled by the iPod's volume.

The universal dock (the one with the IR receiver) has line out volume control via the IR port. Not the same thing, but.... that's something like $50 though!

Hugo