Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299146 - 09/06/2007 16:27 Software Crossover - BruteFIR and jackd
oliver
addict

Hi Guys, Sorry about all these ubuntu questions lately. I really appreciate everything thus far...

I'm trying to setup a 2-way audio crossover dsp, in the long run it will be 4-way stereo

First I found freqtweak, which was nice except it requires a gui to function, which I would rather stay away from for stability. The next application I came across is brutefir, which seems like it should do the job.

First I set it up on a SFF Dell with the onboard sound card. The xover filtering worked perfectly except the sound card sounded like garbage. So, I figured I'd power up another poweredge and toss my SB Live with gold 1/8 jacks. All the noise is competely gone (which is awesome), but I copied all the config files from the testing box and nothing seems to work.

On both machines I had my karma plugged into the Line-In jack, with the Line-Out feeding my Crest Audio CA6 and CA9 amps. Currently to keep everything as simple as possible I setup the crossover into a 2-way (L=highs, R=subs) to feed amp individually.

The problem is, on the server with the nice soundcard, brutefir / jack doesn't seem to be doing anything. The audio is exactly the same on the input as the output.

At some point shortly after setup I had both the audio In>Out loop going, and the crossover running. You'd hit pause on the karma, and the In>Out loop would stop instantly, followed by the jack>brutefir stopping in less than half a second after.
So, I figured it was a problem with the mixer. I've played around with the alsamixer and muted almost everything. However, I can't get brutefir to function without also having the direct In>Out loop on at the same time.

I found a few people recommending brutefir for this type of application, but the documentation sucks. I can't find too much on configuring brutefir / jackd online.

I think my problem is with jack, but having never previously played around with it before it's hard for me to tell for sure.

I was hoping someone might have setup something similar, or maybe there is a much better software app besides what I'm using.

We're trying to get something going for a huge July 4th party. We'd rather spend the money on more speakers, than a nice dsp.

#299147 - 09/06/2007 21:27 Re: Software Crossover - BruteFIR and jackd [Re: oliver]
oliver
addict

Looks like it was just a mixer problem. I had to turn down the AC/97 Playback slider, and then the loop was silenced and I was able to get jack to output to PCM.

However, I have about a 2 second delay audio from the karma through the computers to the amp rack.