Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301417 - 09/08/2007 21:38 Remote support tools for Vista?
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
My usual remote support tools (VNC, eCare & CoPilot don't work with Vista.

VNC only works (sometimes) in User Mode and it always disconnects me at the "Security Warning" prompt whenever I'm about to make a system change. Reconnecting after that just gives me "view only" access.

CoPilot gives an error about executing the downloaded executable.

eCare.... I can't remember the error that the user reported to me but it was pretty terminal!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for remote support tools that "just work. Preferably, free or cheap ones!

#301418 - 09/08/2007 21:44 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Do you have RDP access? I've used Remote Desktop from an XP machine and it worked ok, although it does lock the server's screen so it's no good for demonstrating things to a user. I haven't tried VNC yet but I'll have a go soon.

#301419 - 09/08/2007 21:52 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Vista has a built-in feature called "Remote Assistance". Have you looked into that?

#301420 - 09/08/2007 22:01 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: g_attrill]
AndrewT
old hand

Quote:
Do you have RDP access? I've used Remote Desktop from an XP machine and it worked ok, although it does lock the server's screen so it's no good for demonstrating things to a user.

Yes.. we have control over the router at this particular site. I can also VNC to an XP machine there or alternatively use RDP to get onto a Server2003 box.

Are there any special steps involved in enabling Remote Desktop within Vista?

Incidentally, I sometimes use Remote Desktop in /console mode (mstsc /console) to work on the live console on Server 2003 machines.

#301421 - 09/08/2007 22:05 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It seems that Vista and XP both have this feature.

I have successfully connected in both directions (Vista helping an XP user, and XP helping a vista user) and it works like a charm. In fact, I'm typing this in the remote assistance session, with an XP laptop connecting to (assisting) my Vista main desktop.

I dunno how well it handles NAT, if at all, though.

#301422 - 09/08/2007 22:09 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are there any special steps involved in enabling Remote Desktop within Vista?

Both Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance are enabled in the system properties.

SYSDM.CPL is the quick shortcut to run system properties, or you can do START, rightclick on COMPUTER, hit PROPERTIES and if you get the Vista "View basic information about your computer" cutie-screen, then hit "ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS". From the REMOTE tab, enable both remote assistance and remote desktop.

If you're just TS'ing into their computer, that's all you should need to do. If you're Remote Assisting, have them go to START, HELP AND SUPPORT, and click on "Use windows remote assistance to get help from a friend or offer help" and go from there.

#301423 - 09/08/2007 22:09 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Quote:
Vista has a built-in feature called "Remote Assistance". Have you looked into that?

I haven't used Remote Assistance, ever. It kindof rings a bell and that's why I'm in the process of building a Vista box in order to have a play. The only vista install key I have available is a Technet "Upgrade", so I'm in the process of installing XP in order to replace it with Vista, ugh.

Are there any hoops for the remote user to jump through in order for me to gain remote access? I have the full logon credentials and I can assert a "presence" on their LAN from XP, Svr2k3 or alternatively using NAT rules remotely.

#301424 - 09/08/2007 22:20 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
With Vista you can do a clean install with an upgrade licence, I installed it on a laptop at work and had to use a fresh XP key and licence, then upgrade it to get Vista, but I was able to do a "proper" clean install, it left the old installation as Windows.old.

Edited by g_attrill (09/08/2007 22:21)

#301425 - 09/08/2007 22:26 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Quote:
SYSDM.CPL is the quick shortcut to run system properties, or you can do START, rightclick on COMPUTER, hit PROPERTIES and if you get the Vista "View basic information about your computer" cutie-screen, then hit "ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS". From the REMOTE tab, enable both remote assistance and remote desktop.

Thanks, that's given me a good headstart. I think I've been missing a "trick" here for a long time, assuming this functionality has been present in XP too. Other than the Vista'isms mentioned, it's all ringing bells here in terms of things I've been seeing (and ignoring) for years!

#301426 - 09/08/2007 23:43 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
VNC only works (sometimes) in User Mode

The registered version of VNC works fine in Vista. They haven't rolled the fixes into the free version yet.

#301427 - 10/08/2007 15:02 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are there any hoops for the remote user to jump through in order for me to gain remote access?

For terminal services (remote desktop) access, it needs:

- To be enabled in the SYSDM.CPL screen as I described above.
- Not blocked in the firewall. (In theory, enabling it as above should automatically unblock it through the firewall, unless you are using a thirdparty firewall.)
- The desired login user needs to be added to the group of users for terminal services acces. This can all be done from that same screen, IIRC. Note that members of the local machine's "administrators" group (this includes domain admins if the machine is domain-joined) are already enabled for this.
- You need to be able to get to that machine's IP address. For instance, if there's NAT in the way, you might have trouble.

For remote assistance, the requirements are similar, but you don't need to spec a user, it goes by straight password authentication.

The difference between terminal services and remote assistance, is that remote assistance is like a "chat" with both of you seeing the same screen at the same time, and you showing him how to get things done. Terminal services, their screen goes blank and they can't see what you're doing.

#301428 - 10/08/2007 15:03 Re: Remote support tools for Vista? [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think I've been missing a "trick" here for a long time, assuming this functionality has been present in XP too. Other than the Vista'isms mentioned, it's all ringing bells here in terms of things I've been seeing (and ignoring) for years!

Yeah, all that stuff is in XP, too. Remote assistance, remote desktop, it's all there and nearly identical across XP and Vista.