Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285601 - 16/08/2006 15:47 Scanning physical photo albums
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I thought this had been covered here before, but I can't find the thread. I may undertake scanning my grandmother's photo albums which are numerous and old. I think it would be ideal to either scan entire pages at a time without removing photos from the album, or using a hand scanner.

Is there a product (hardware and/or software) that anyone can recommend for this project?

#285602 - 16/08/2006 18:14 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1. Hand scanners are bad.

2. Removing the photos from the album is good. Because:

2a. Scanning through the plastic would be bad. The focal plane for the scanner assumes the photo emulsion is touching the glass. Scanning without removing photos from the album will result in more blur than if you just did it correctly to begin with.

2b. Removing the photos from the album will allow you to make an attempt at blowing dust off the photos, as opposed to scanning whatever dust happens to be trapped under the plastic sheet.

2c. Processing time for each photo, and file sizes, will be smaller and more manageable if you remove the photos from the albums and do them individually.

2d. Each individual photo will need different amounts of tonal correction. Might as well start them off as separate files instead of having to split them up anyway.

3. Plugins are good. Favorite one: "Focus Magic". Look it up. Also, Ulead Smart Saver is very good at interactively controlling your JPG quality level when saving.

4. This is a huge pain in the ass job. If grammy isn't paying you, tell her to take the photo albums to a shop that specializes in that sort of thing.

5. Someone please link the thread where we were image-correcting someone's old scans. That was cool.

#285603 - 16/08/2006 18:19 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I agree with all that Tony said. I've done the 'Scanning the parent's photos' project and believe me...

1) Ok, it seems like a great idea just now BUT; the novelty wears off after a couple of hours/minutes/seconds. And once you've told Grandma you'll do it, you need to finish the job!

2) All your hard work probably won't be appreciated in the slightest. They'll still look at, and use the album and ignore the scans!

3) You need to scan them one at a time for the reasons Tony mentioned.

So unless theres a real need to do all these scans, I'd be inclined not to do it yourself - pay a younger nephew or something to do the boring repetitive task for you!

#285604 - 16/08/2006 18:24 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

If I should take the photos out of the albums, would a sheet-fed scanner be faster than a flatbed? I have a flatbed (correct term?) scanner, but it's slow.

I have a SCSI HP Scanjet IIcx stored somewhere. That's faster than the Canon I have now, but it's obviously much older and its advertised resolution is lower. I think it was 400x400 back in the early '90s when it also cost $1700. Is that high enough?

#285605 - 16/08/2006 18:26 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Quote:
Is that high enough?

Depends what you want to do with the images. Are you going to be making hi res prints? Or just to let people view them on an online gallery?

#285606 - 16/08/2006 18:30 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
robricc
carpal tunnel

It would be to put the whole lot online.

After thinking about what you and Tony said, maybe I don't want to do this myself. I will see about finding a shop to do it, but I'm still open to taking this on.

#285607 - 16/08/2006 18:34 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I'd suggest scanning a selection yourself - using both scenners for quality comparison. See how long it takes to scan, crop, tidy-up each photo. You'll soon get an idea if its for you. Once you've found the settings you're happy with, the hard work is done and you just need to set aside time each day to get it finished. The key is not to make yourself sick of it - maybe do 10 a day. How many does she have?

#285608 - 16/08/2006 18:38 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I think Dignan undertook something similar not so long ago. There was a thread with software recommendations, plug-ins and batch image processing tools. Maybe it wasn't him :S If it is, he'll chime in soon

#285609 - 16/08/2006 18:40 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
robricc
carpal tunnel

It's thousands of photos. I can't give a better estimate than that.

There's no time crunch and I haven't even told her I would do it, so it's not an issue if this takes a while. Going through one album per week seems doable, but I would probably go even slower than that.

I don't even think Grandma wants this. There are others in my familty that probably do though.

#285610 - 16/08/2006 18:42 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
See also: The Exciting Adventures of OCD Archivist and scanning.

Edit: whoops; did that backwards

Edited by wfaulk (16/08/2006 18:59)

#285611 - 16/08/2006 18:45 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: wfaulk]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

(Links don't work - just take me to this page. Copy/paste works fine)

Edit: Links are ok

Edited by Phil. (16/08/2006 19:13)

#285612 - 16/08/2006 19:25 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It's thousands of photos.

Argh. Run away now.

#285613 - 16/08/2006 19:38 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I think Dignan undertook something similar not so long ago. There was a thread with software recommendations, plug-ins and batch image processing tools. Maybe it wasn't him :S If it is, he'll chime in soon

That was me. You probably don't want to do what I did. Here was my philosophy:

a) doing the job right, so that the pictures are kept for posterity, takes so long I'd go insane long before finishing
b) 2) All your hard work probably won't be appreciated in the slightest. They'll still look at, and use the album and ignore the scans!

I used the "quick and dirty" method. I took the sheets out of the album, did not remove the photos, and just scanned them in one page as a time. I then split them up and cropped them. Lastly - and this part will especially make the photo nuts twinge - I installed Picasa on my parents' computer and ran all the images through that magic button filter (can't remember what it's called right now).

The point of this post is that for my mom, it was enough. She was thrilled with the results, and it turned into a very lovely Christmas present.

If I want to have the job done right, I just don't see myself doing it. I don't have the patience (or the time).

And I disagree, Tony. I don't see how it saves time to take out the pictures and scan them in individually. That's the only part of your argument that I don't think is true. Plus, have you every tried to put very old photos back into an old album sheet? For one thing, the glue is dried up and useless, so you have to get a new sheet. Also, the photos curl up so much it's hard to lie them flat and keep them down. Ugh, I did that for about four sheets and gave up and used my ugly method.

#285614 - 16/08/2006 23:03 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Does anyone know how much a professional charges for this sort of work? I wouldn't mind paying even 50 cents per image if the results were very good.

Otherwise, for anything you also have negatives of, scanning those in batches would be a better bet. I doubt there are negs in Rob's case.

I've got maybe 1000+ of my own printed photographs that I'd love to scan someday. And probably another 1-2K that my parents have.

#285615 - 16/08/2006 23:25 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: hybrid8]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I cam across this:
http://www.digmypics.com

Their prices seem very reasonable, but I wouldn't send photos through the mail. Too risky.

#285616 - 16/08/2006 23:49 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
They appear to be located by me. Not sure how you'd get them to me without mailing, though. Guess that doesn't solve anything. :P

#285617 - 17/08/2006 00:12 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't see how it saves time to take out the pictures and scan them in individually.

Tony's suggestion was made on the assumption that you were going to color-correct and do some tweaking on each (or at least a significant number) of the photos.

Your HP IICX is a good scanner, I think it runs at 600 dpi. The main thing about it is it is FAST. I can scan a full 8x10 color picture at high resolution in about 6--8 seconds with mine.

tanstaafl.

#285618 - 17/08/2006 02:31 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My wife has one of these Epson all-in-one scanner/printer/fax things. The scanner software is smart enough to detect if you have multiple images on the flatbed and separately crop and process them. Your own scanner software may vary, of course.

My advice: scan whole pages at a time, possibly removing the plastic if and only if it's not glued down such that you can't remove it in a non-destructive fashion. You don't need terribly high resolution, but if you can get 16-bit TIFFs instead of normal 8-bit images, that will be a big bonus for you later on if/when you want to do image cleanup.

Then, once you've got your pile 'o pictures, you've got two important tasks: metadata and cleanup. You need to get grandma to actually look through the pictures and tell you who everybody actually is. For cleanup, I'd say to run everything, in bulk, through something like Picasa's "I'm Feeling Lucky", and save Photoshop for the good ones where you really want.

Ancient black-and-white will actually come out quite nice. The nasty, awful pictures are the ones printed on early color paper (1950's or so). Those are all faded and brown. I recently put some serious Photoshop energy into cleaning up a few of them. Auto-Levels gets you close, but surrender on getting any useful shadow detail, much less decent color balance.

#285619 - 17/08/2006 11:17 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I cam across this:
http://www.digmypics.com

Their prices seem very reasonable, but I wouldn't send photos through the mail. Too risky.

Wow! Thanks for that link! I'm going to have to think about that. But as you say, sending your photos off in the mail isn't something I want to risk. I'm not even 100% certain I want to hand over 50 year old photos to someone else...

#285620 - 17/08/2006 15:05 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Slightly OT (I hope you don't mind, Rob!), but I've got a question that I hope can be answered quickly-
I have hundreds of 35mm color negatives from years past that were supposed to be organized, printed several times over, and compiled into albums.
The digital age brought me the concept of doing the album work entirely without the printing exercise and I bought a scanner that had an attachment for negative scanning, but the quality was horrible and I was put off by that and the daunting task of organizing it all.
I'm back to step one- finding a way to get digital images from the negatives. Is this something that I should just get done through a local drugstore? They still do that at drugstores, right?
I remeber something about Kodak providing a 'photo CD' of your developed film roll. I don't have any experience at all with that option.
Anyone here have a word to say about negative to digital possibilites?

Thanks!

#285621 - 17/08/2006 15:17 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Robotic]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
the ONLY real way that I've found to truly archive any type of roll negative or slide film is to buy a very nice (read: $2000) slide/negative scanner, such as a Nikon CoolScan and do the process by hand.

A slide takes about 40 seconds and a roll of 4 color negatives would take a minute or so. It's a long arduous process that can't really be beat.

#285622 - 17/08/2006 15:24 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Robotic]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Anyone here have a word to say about negative to digital possibilites?

Here is an un-touched image generated at a drug store by ordering a photo CD from negatives. Low resolution, a completely white sky, and grainy image don't make it seem so great. The file size (relating to quality?) is also small when you consider they have an entire CD to fit stuff on and the typical roll of film is less than 30 exposures.

#285623 - 17/08/2006 15:33 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: ithoughti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Photo CDs were fairly nice high-res digital photos in a slightly lossy format known as Image Pac in resolutions up to 4096 x 6144 (25 megapixel) but more commonly 2048 x 3072 (6.3 Mpx). The new Kodak product is "Picture CD" and provides you with 1024 x 1536 (much more lossy than Image Pac) JPGs (1.5 Mpx).

I imagine you should be able to take your negatives to almost any Kodak lab (at a drug store, for example) and have them "printed" to Picture CD. I don't think anyone does Photo CD any more. You could also try a 1-hour photo place or a real photo processing lab.

#285624 - 17/08/2006 16:28 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Thanks, guys- your comments have inspired me to do some rudimentary searches on wikipedia (can't stay away from that place) and googled enough to find that several companies are set up to service the 'film negative to digital image' market.
I'll just mosey along now and see if there's anything nearby or that looks closest to what I'm looking for.
Thanks again!

#285625 - 17/08/2006 19:14 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't see how it saves time to take out the pictures and scan them in individually.

Because when you're working with high resolution scans, the files sizes can get so huge as to make photoshop (or whatever software package you're using) run out of memory and start swapping really hard. A full page scan at high resolution would tend to do that pretty much every time.

Now, if you're scanning everything at low rez, it doesn't matter as much. Since you seemed to be OK with scanning right through the plastic sheet, you were probably OK with low rez as well.

Another thing that doing the individual photos would help is, if you're doing batch processing on the images, it allows you to skip the step of cutting the images up with mouse movements. Once you get your workflow down, it's possible to get everything done with keystrokes, scripts, and macros, which is much faster than mousing around, trying to draw cropping rectangles, and typing new file names for each re-crop. With loose photos, all that stuff is already done automatically.

#285626 - 17/08/2006 22:47 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I had a couple of Photo CDs made many years ago. In fact, I think I still have them somewhere. Great quality pictures at massive resolutions, never managed anything as good myself. I remember having to wait 2 weeks to get them done and then having to buy a multisession CD-ROM drive for my Risc PC just to read them. Ah, those where the days!

It's a shame if they don't offer the service any more. Then again if people are happy with low resolution transfers then there's no point getting picky. I'm sure there are plenty of idiots running round taking pictures with 350Ds and the like, who wouldn't know a well framed and exposed picture if it slapped them in the face!

Andy M

#285627 - 18/08/2006 00:30 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
the files sizes can get so huge as to make photoshop (or whatever software package you're using) run out of memory and start swapping really hard. A full page scan at high resolution would tend to do that pretty much every time.

Which brings up the point, if you do this yourself, use it as an excuse to get a couple gig of RAM and fast secondary swap drive. You'll thank yourself later.

#285628 - 18/08/2006 04:56 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: andym]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I had a couple of Photo CDs made many years ago. In fact, I think I still have them somewhere. Great quality pictures at massive resolutions, never managed anything as good myself.

I had one done many moons ago as well, but I can't agree with Andy on this one. My particular set came out really washed out and there were artifacts in many of them. I'll have to dig it out and upload a sample.

My £40 slim Canon 'LIDE' scanner (which I like a lot) could do far better quality-wise and produce lovely vibrant scans. I know its not a replacement for getting someone else to spend the time doing it.

Anyway, I think these PhotoCD services can vary, so make sure you get some samples done if you're thinking about doing a big batch.

#285629 - 19/08/2006 19:54 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

There was a small amount of talk in this thread as far as hardware goes. I think Rob said he has a IIcx. I think I also have that model, although I no longer have a way to hook it up.

What would everyone recommend today as far as scanners go? Scanning slides is a must, in addition to photos and other things. A feeder is not important. Lastly, if the cost could be around $100 that would be good. Any ideas? There was an HP 4070 in CompUSA today for $90, but they had none in stock and it doesn't really seem available online.

#285630 - 19/08/2006 23:10 Re: Scanning physical photo albums [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Don't pretend that you can scan slides in a flatbed scanner. If you want to do slides, get a dedicated slide scanner. For other tasks, get a flatbed or sheet-feed scanner, as appropriate. That said, one of the Nikon CoolScan products would seem to be at the knee of the quality / price curve. If you need to squeeze every last drop of quality out that the Nikon would miss, then you can shell out, per slide, on professional drum scans (but only for the ones that you actually care about).

With respect to PhotoCD, I paid $1/frame for these things for everything I shot from about 1993 to 2000 or so, when I switched to a digital camera. When processed by Kodak, the quality control was piss poor. I was always putting elbow grease into dust spots, water spots, and so forth. There used to be third-party labs that charged maybe $1.20/frame that had better quality control. PhotoCD always had a sort of "haze" about it, but you could easily work around it by adjusting your levels. If I was to shoot film again, I'd probably shoot slide film and see if I could get it processed and scanned all at the same time. The price is high enough that it's pretty hard to justify relative to current digital cameras...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >