Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303697 - 02/11/2007 00:16 So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???"
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Like, WHY oh WHY did Joss kill Wash?

Like, someone must have an answer for this senseless death.

Especially if he wants to continue a franchise/series/whatever.....

C'mon guys and gals, put me out of my misery. Help me here.

PS. Even Book's death seemed - well, "trivial". I know in real life, it can seem like that - and the survivors spend a lot of fruitless time trying to work out the reasons why, when there probably aren't any reasons - but damnit, WHY?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#303698 - 02/11/2007 10:21 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: schofiel]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Wait...are there new episodes of firefly I don't know about?

#303699 - 02/11/2007 10:25 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: JBjorgen]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
No, that is the film.

#303700 - 02/11/2007 20:35 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Like, WHY oh WHY did Joss kill Wash?

Because he needed us, the jaded Whedon-fan audience, to feel genuine fear for the remainder of the cast during those final crucial moments of the film.

Without Wash's death, then the injuries sustained by the remainder of the crew during the last action sequence would have seemed trivial. But once we saw that Joss was willing to kill Wash (and Book earlier in the film), suddenly it seems like he's ready to kill anyone on the cast. And we're hanging on the edge of our seats waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Bastard.

As a side note, when I saw Nathan Fillion at the sneak preview in Roseville, CA, he talked about how much fun it was to look around at the audience during that scene; watching everyone laughing at the "leaf on the wind" line and then seeing the laughs turn to horror and gasps as Wash gets killed.

It was funnier when he said it, anyway. He pantomimed... I guess you had to be there.

#303701 - 02/11/2007 21:35 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well - he defintely managed that. Exactly my feelings, in fact - I sweated through to the last minutes of the film as a result.

But - there is always a but - the film is supposedly set about 3-4 months after the end of the series. So any second film would have to be a prequel in that period or before: any new series would basically have to "occupy" the space of the series, with us all knowing Wash is going to pop his clogs in the end. Of all the characters in the series, he really was the last one I expected to die. So he chose the right one then, didn't he

I genuinely hope that this can appear as a series again, or that there will be a second film. There's on/off/on/off rumours being fuelled at the moment that make me nervous - didn't even feel like this when they cancelled Star Trek back in the 60's!

Damnit Joss, put me out of my misery please. I want these people back again!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#303702 - 02/11/2007 21:41 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: schofiel]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Damnit Joss, put me out of my misery please. I want these people back again!

I'm not sure he has that much control over whether we ever see the characters again. It might have been different if Serenity had been a bit more commercially successful.

#303703 - 02/11/2007 23:39 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: andy]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH

#303704 - 03/11/2007 00:08 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Joss Whedon is back!

Yeah, I heard about that series. I'm a little concerned. Eliza is not the greatest actress in the world, and the idea of her playing a role that essentially requires her to completely change her personality on a regular basis scares me a little.

On the other hand, it's Joss Freakin' Whedon.

And I felt the exact same way about Wash's death. And Tony, I can perfectly picture how Nathan Fillion told that story. That guy is hilarious.

#303705 - 03/11/2007 08:23 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Joss Whedon is back!

Quote:
...which has been given a seven-episode order by Fox...

Why, Joss, Why?!?!

Are you genuinely masochistic?

#303706 - 03/11/2007 17:18 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: Dignan]
music
addict

Quote:
Quote:
Joss Whedon is back!
Eliza is not the greatest actress in the world

Yeah, but she's definitely got it goin' on.

So I'll watch it.

Of course, I watched Dark Angel for a while despite the fact that Jessica Alba is without doubt the worst actress in the world.

(On the other hand, I couldn't watch more than three seconds of that horrendous Jennifer Love Hewitt ghost show. So maybe I'm more discriminating than it would seem at first blush.)

#303707 - 03/11/2007 19:50 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:
Joss Whedon is back!

Quote:
...which has been given a seven-episode order by Fox...

Why, Joss, Why?!?!

Are you genuinely masochistic?

From reading the article he says he's working with new people at Fox. From personal experience I'd say a company is only as bad as the c*nts that are running it.

Andy M

#303708 - 04/11/2007 08:41 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: schofiel]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm sat here watching Jewel Staite in Stargate Atlantis and wishing we could have Firefly back. Her character in SA is so, so dull compared to Kaylee

#303709 - 04/11/2007 22:03 Re: So I'm sat here, thinking "Why???" [Re: music]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Joss Whedon is back!
Eliza is not the greatest actress in the world

Yeah, but she's definitely got it goin' on.

So I'll watch it.

Of course, I watched Dark Angel for a while despite the fact that Jessica Alba is without doubt the worst actress in the world.

(On the other hand, I couldn't watch more than three seconds of that horrendous Jennifer Love Hewitt ghost show. So maybe I'm more discriminating than it would seem at first blush.)

All true. I even watched every episode of Tru Calling. I was fortunate that it only lasted a season and four or five episodes.