Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305057 - 11/12/2007 23:10 The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone?
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Can anyone recommend funny podcasts about Information Technology? Is there anything analogous to "Car Talk" out there? I've been told there was a show on TechTV years ago which humorously answers calls for technical help.

Or, at least, any informative podcasts about IT, Windows desktop and server, security, etc. I've found TechnetRadio and Technometra, but the more the merrier. Thanks.

#305059 - 11/12/2007 23:37 Re: The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone? [Re: FireFox31]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Chris Perillo appears to do a regular (daily?) video tech program. I don't subscribe to it, but I have seen some segments that were posted to YouTube. They're pretty decent and techie. You can subscribe via iTunes which I guess would be a video podcast.

He used to do Call For Help on TechTV which was more novice-oriented.

#305060 - 12/12/2007 00:54 Re: The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone? [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
 Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Can anyone recommend funny podcasts about Information Technology? Is there anything analogous to "Car Talk" out there? I've been told there was a show on TechTV years ago which humorously answers calls for technical help.

Yup, it was called, unsurprisingly, "Call for Help." As Rob says, it was hosted by Chris Perillo for a long while, then he "left" TechTV (not sure if he was fired or if he quit), and Leo Laporte picked it up. I only saw a couple dozen of the Leo episodes, and thought they were really good, though mostly aimed at computer novices. (back in the day, The Screen Savers even took live calls on computer problems, and those usually covered slightly higher level topics - it's hard to believe that Attack of the Show is technically the same show...ugh).

When G4 swallowed TechTV, Call for Help went Canadian. Leo would fly up to Canada to shoot for the show, which aired on TechTV Canada. The good thing about that is that the show added Amber MacArthur \:\) Well, I believe that recently the show made some major changes including moving to a new city, so I'm not sure if it's still on the air.

ANYway, the reason I'm giving all the back story, is that in addition to Rob's excellent suggestion, you might want to check out some of the shows on the TWiT network, which Leo started. Many of them have more of a news discussion bent, but I've found them pretty informative. Sadly, I haven't listened to them in a while, though. My current favorite podcast is The Totally Rad Show. Geeks should check it out, and try not to let Dan annoy you too much.

#305065 - 12/12/2007 03:41 Re: The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Seconded on the TWiT network suggestions. I overall like the content, however they do have their facts crossed at times, being that they don't have the full production staff the old TechTV used to be able to rely on.

Also, Call for Help was started by Leo Laporte. Becky Worly took over for Leo while he went off to concentrate more on The Screen Savers. Shortly after this happened, Chris was then brought in, up until his termination, of which the reasons were never public. Leo took back over at that point until the show was cancelled during the G4 takeover. I was actually in the audience of The Screen Savers when Leo was there wrapping up his final Call for Help on Tech TV. He's a great guy, and was interacting with the audience on a random whim. At that point he wasn't on TSS, and was pretty much on his way out due to the G4 situation.

#305072 - 12/12/2007 05:44 Re: The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
 Originally Posted By: drakino
I was actually in the audience of The Screen Savers when Leo was there wrapping up his final Call for Help on Tech TV. He's a great guy, and was interacting with the audience on a random whim. At that point he wasn't on TSS, and was pretty much on his way out due to the G4 situation.

He does seem like a good guy (I only met him at a signing in Maryland at the end of the TSS days), although sometimes when I listen to his podcasts I think he's a bit behind the times on some issues, and other times he betrays some of his own quirkiness (I particularly like the episode of TWiT where he admits that he censored Bambi for his kids so that they didn't see Bambi's mom get killed - what's the point of the movie then?). Thanks for the additional info on the TechTV transitions. That was a real mess when G4 took over. I always thought TechTV's content was a little weak, but could have been fleshed out to make a real network. Too bad G4 is a steaming pile.

As for other podcasts, The Totally Rad Show is on the Revision 3 network, which is sort of the vidcast equivalent of Leo's audio-only TWiT network (Leo is a radio guy, so he prefers audio-only). Rev3 doesn't really have the type of shows you're looking for, though. They're less informational than entertainment. I think it's doing well, though, and I already think they have more good programming than TechTV did (two good shows beats G4).

#305108 - 12/12/2007 23:58 Re: The "Car Talk" of IT Podcasts? Anyone? [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll try to dig up some relevant podcasts. TechNet Radio is good and all, but it can get boring. Not good while driving.