Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305867 - 08/01/2008 18:44 CES - Ultra Yawnfest 2008
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Anyone else finding the CES coverage at all the tech blogs totally boring? Am I so jaded that I can't find anything of interest at all?

The most interesting things to have been mentioned in the past week are Apple's new 8-core machines (today), speculation about Apple's new releases at Macworld (again, non-CES) and Red's upcoming announcement at NAB of a pocket-sized 4K video camera.

The only CES item that I really find quite interesting is DirecTV's dual tuner HD box for bringing video to your Media Center PC. Now if it's using standard driver models let's hope to see support for it in SageTV and other PVR apps. I can't even use DirecTV here in Canada but found this much more interesting than anything else I've seen covered so far.

#305882 - 09/01/2008 05:12 Re: CES - Ultra Yawnfest 2008 [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the coverage is pretty boring. I guess having to write about a bjillion new things all slightly better then the last eventually leaves out any liveliness.

The dual drive ReadyNAS caught my eye, mostly for friends not quite interested in the 4 drive model I have, but who like the feature set in the firmware. Other then that, pretty much blah though for CES.

#305889 - 09/01/2008 12:30 Re: CES - Ultra Yawnfest 2008 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
But isn't anyone interested in the 150" Plasma?!?

All I can say is "Thank you, Google Reader." Engadget has something like 250 posts a day this week, but one of Google Reader's strong suits is its ease at rapidly skimming blog posts.

I agree, though. Nothing has really caught my eye (including the items you mentioned, since I'm not an Apple person smile ). I'd be surprised if you could put anything but Windows MCE on that DirecTV box, too.

I'd recommend that people check out Woot's coverage of the show. Great as always.

#305892 - 09/01/2008 13:13 Re: CES - Ultra Yawnfest 2008 [Re: Dignan]
spider

does anyone know where I can find some coverage of sonicview's ( http://www.sonicviewusa.com/ ) new products launched at ces?

#305896 - 09/01/2008 14:27 Re: CES - Ultra Yawnfest 2008 [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The coverage is so full-on it's almost like being there. Apart from missing the lines for the monorail, taxis, and being robbed blind to stay in hotels anyway.

I always found the best bit about CES was finding some really random but promising stuff in the international pavilions; the big shiny booths were pretty much always a turn-off - gloss over stuff you knew already, unless you count seeing ever-bigger TVs as exciting.

Hugo