Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#344146 - 11/04/2011 14:14 Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express?
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I have one in the kitchen attached to a pair of speakers which I'd not used for a few weeks. This weekend I tried to use it again and noticed that I couldn't use Airtunes, looking through the logs a message 'AirTunes time sync receive error:' kept appearing, after a bit of googling, most people seemed to regain function after a firmware update (their units were usually a revision behind the latest version). So I thought I'd try and downgrade then upgrade, but in the process of downgrading to the previous version I appear to have semi-bricked it.

The unit goes through all the usual boot procedure, it appears in the Airport utility, but any attempt to configure it leaves you staring at a 'getting config' message indefinitely. Interestingly enough you can still ping its management address over wifi, but the built in ethernet port is dead, no link. It briefly shows link for about 10 secs during boot but then nothing.

Anybody got any ideas?

Andy M

#344147 - 11/04/2011 14:21 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Probably worth trying a full factory reset.
Originally Posted By: Apple
If the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.
  • Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.
  • Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.
  • Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.

Had to do this on one of my older units, and it brought it back to life. If this doesn't work, any valid Applecare agreement on a Mac in the household will cover Airports too.

#344148 - 11/04/2011 15:29 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: drakino]
andym
carpal tunnel

I tried the factory reset, except it never seems to get past the rapid flashing LED stage. I left it flashing for over 30 mins before giving up and power cycling again.

Amy (I've been told she doesn't like me referring to her as SWMBO) and I are awaiting a pair of new MacBook Pros that I ordered online last week, could I use their default 12 month applecare to get one of the local stores to look at it?

Andy M

#344149 - 11/04/2011 15:54 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I believe it only applies to the supplemental Applecare, and not the initial one year warranty. The base warranty pdf never mentions accessories, while the Applecare pdf does. The key part seems to be this:
Originally Posted By: Apple
An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive are also covered under APP if used with the compatible Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your APP.

#344150 - 11/04/2011 15:54 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Amy (I've been told she doesn't like me referring to her as SWMBO)

Too funny!

#344151 - 11/04/2011 17:28 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: andym
I've been told she doesn't like me referring to her as SWMBO

We should have told you, I guess. You're not supposed to call her that to her face.

#344153 - 11/04/2011 17:33 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: mlord]
andym
carpal tunnel

How peculiar, before tossing it in the bin I thought I'd have one last go. Another 'factory reset' didn't work. However since it still shows up in the utility app I thought I'd have one last look. Right clicking on the 'identify' still made the front LED flash so I thought I'd try sending a factory reset command over the air, which has done the trick. Once updated back to the current firmware version and the various settings re-entered, it appears to be 100% functional, including AirTunes. Bizarre.

Andy M

#344157 - 11/04/2011 18:12 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Excellent!

#344158 - 11/04/2011 18:13 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Now that the key for those devices is out in the open, I suppose somebody might eventually add the protocol/code to the empeg..

#344161 - 11/04/2011 19:55 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: andym
I've been told she doesn't like me referring to her as SWMBO

We should have told you, I guess. You're not supposed to call her that to her face.

Maybe she is a lurker, like my wife !!! Yea that's right I know you watch me smile

Can a man have no privacy to geek out when he wants to smile

Cheers

Cris

#344166 - 11/04/2011 23:03 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: mlord]
andym
carpal tunnel

Yes, it's funny the day I have problems with AirTunes, somebody announces that they've successfully reverse engineered it.

Once we move house I'd like to look at doing whole house audio, I'd rather do it with one box hosting multiple RAOP services or multiple softsqueeze instances feeding speakers in multiple rooms than sticking an airport express or squeezebox in every room.

Andy M

#344167 - 11/04/2011 23:07 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris
Maybe she is a lurker, like my wife !!!

She admitted to doing this years ago, obviously the ACCA forums aren't interesting enough.

Andy M

#344177 - 12/04/2011 09:17 Re: Anyone ever resurrected a 'bricked' Airport Express? [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

Oh well, it appears it's not 100% success, while I can now drive the audio output of the express from my macs, it appears the iphones and ipod touch still don't work. Back to the drawing board i suppose.

Andy M