Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#352613 - 08/06/2012 18:04 Vintage PC – Sell now, Wait or Keep?
Redrum
old hand

Last year at an estate sale I picked up an IBM Personal Computer (model 5150 I think) with a 10MB HD, 5 ¼” floppy, color monitor and DOS 3.3. One cool thing about it is it has some Disney software game on it and boots to a menu. Not just a DOS prompt. The game is actually pretty good for the day.

I have another IBM PC stuffed away in the attic that I plan on keeping that has a green screen monitor and two 10MBHD’s. However it doesn’t have the fancy Disney game.

I’m thinking about downsizing some of my junk so: should I sell this now; wait to see if the market for vintage PC’s improves (if it does) and sell it later; or keep it to pass on to the grandkids someday?

I remember actually using one of these for work when they came out, I am old.

The people at the auction thought I was nuts to pay $2 for an old PC. Maybe I am.

#352614 - 08/06/2012 18:43 Re: Vintage PC – Sell now, Wait or Keep? [Re: Redrum]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I don't think the value will go up at least not in our lifetime.

Matt

#352615 - 08/06/2012 21:00 Re: Vintage PC – Sell now, Wait or Keep? [Re: msaeger]
Redrum
old hand

Yea, it’s probably at it peak “nostalgia value” about now. Looks like it might go for $150 to $200 on eBay.

#352649 - 11/06/2012 19:57 Re: Vintage PC – Sell now, Wait or Keep? [Re: Redrum]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
As with any vintage item you never really know where the value is going to go. "Vintage" PCs are probably getting rarer and rarer as people continue throwing them out. I actually had no idea they would even go for $150-200 right now. I never see the estate sale "regulars" here take a second look at any computers but I'm sure they will start to wise up soon enough for that price. And yes their are estate sale regulars, if you go to more than a few you will start seeing the same people over and over again. I've met people who've bought and resold things at estate sales for all their working lives.

#352653 - 11/06/2012 21:01 Re: Vintage PC – Sell now, Wait or Keep? [Re: siberia37]
Redrum
old hand

I think I’ve become an estate sale "regular." The last estate sale I was at the auctioneer said I didn’t need to show them my driver’s license anymore just ask for a number.

I’ve gotten some amazing deals at the auctions but I try to make sure I buy only things I need since this has not morphed into a full time job yet (well I guess I didn't "need" the PC. oh well).

I’ve noticed one thing. Those action shows have really jacked up the prices on the auctions close to the city. I now only go to auctions in the sicks. You can still get some good deals, especially during the week.

I suppose you can equate vintage PC’s to telephones and TV’s. They are of value but not something most collectors put on their coffee table.

I figured the fist PC’s would be valuable someday (the first of anything usually is). Probably the thing to grab up now would be first generation iPod’s. Thos will probably be in curio cabinets in 30 years.