Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#353064 - 06/07/2012 01:03 Firefox vs. RealAudio
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
About a year ago I had a problem with Windows Media Player, and as a result installed RealAudio. A benefit of RealAudio was their video downloader. Whenever I play a video, a little "Download this video" icon appears, I click it and the video is downloaded. Simple.

Then last month Firefox gave me a dialog box saying that the RealAudio download plugin caused stability problems and that FireFox was disabling it. I was not given a choice. This does not please me.

Firefox says the plugin is enabled, but it doesn't work - the download icon never appears any more. RealAudio says the downloader is enabled, but only for IE9. The Firefox browser doesn't appear in the list.

Research shows that back in 2008, when Firefox upgraded to v3.6.4 the same thing happened and various solutions were offered. Four years later I am on Firefox 13.0.1 and there don't seem to be any solutions appropriate to this version.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? The idea of switching to Chrome is beginning to appeal to me. If I installed Chrome, would it transfer over my bookmarks and settings?

BTW... this afternoon I learned how to solve my original WMP problem.

tanstaafl.

#353066 - 06/07/2012 05:11 Re: Firefox vs. RealAudio [Re: tanstaafl.]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I have no aswer for your RealAudio problem, I guess you're also one of the victims of Firefox' new quick-new-release schedule, which makes it hard for add-on developers to keep up. However, I can tell you that, if you want to switch to Chrome, it should at least transfer your bookmarks without a problem.

Even though Chrome is capable of doing this, it only does it once (at setup). For my bookmark synching, I use a small free utility called Xmarks. It allows for bookmarks/settings synching between all browsers (in every direction), and does it every time you close your browser. This means that, if you added a bookmark to Firefox during your session, it will be added to Chrome as well and vice versa. Very handy. It used to do password synching as well, but it got aquired by LastPass last year and so now you have to install LastPass for that. Which is not that bad actually because in hindsight it also does a great job and it's also free.

#353079 - 06/07/2012 21:39 Re: Firefox vs. RealAudio [Re: BartDG]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I seem to recall there was some capability to override the version checking that ff does for extensions. Don't remember if that was ff functionality or another extension.