Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#363203 - 02/01/2015 15:56 Moto 360
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just wanted to offer up a review of the Moto 360 smartwatch, in case anyone here was interested in one. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

• So far, I've worn the watch every day. Now, 6 days is a small sample size, but considering I haven't worn a watch daily for...I'd say...22 years, I'd say it's something.
  • One reason I never started wearing a watch again was because I had the time on my phone. Well, it's been surprisingly nice to not have to take the phone out of my pocket and wake it up whenever I want to know what time it is.
  • I'm glad I didn't own the watch before the watch face market opened up. I've found a really great one that gives me the time, day of week, date, current weather conditions, current temp, weather conditions for the next three days, and the current battery life of the watch. I love it.
  • The process of changing watch faces is super easy. You can do it by long-pressing your current watch face and swiping left/right, the tapping the one you want. The even easier way is to use the Android Wear app on your phone. You can browse the faces, and when you see the one you want you can tap it and it'll instantly show up on the watch. It's a great way to move through a bunch of faces to see which one you like. The Wear app in general does a great job at making it easy to manage your watch.
  • Speaking of battery life, that's the one big flaw of the watch. It's OK, just not great.
  • The ambient light sensor is surprisingly good! This amazes me, because no phone I've ever owned has done screen brighness based on ambient light well. I always find that it never makes the phone bright enough in bright light or dim enough in dim light. But this watch does it perfectly. Strange.
  • What actually annoys me more than the battery life is the manner in which the watch wakes up. In theory, the watch goes to sleep when your wrist is at your side or not in
    front of your face. Then, when you lift the watch to look at it, the screen wakes up. To be fair, if I lift my hand from my side to looking at it like you'd look at any watch, the screen does always light up without fail. The problem? I'm not always moving my wrist from that exact position OR to that exact position. For example, I'm spending a lot of time on the floor these days, playing with a baby. Often, but hand is still resting on my side, but in 3D space, this probably looks to the watch like it's in the "human is looking at watch" mode, which eventually goes to sleep. Then if I move my hand on the horizontal plane to bring it to my face, I end up looking at a black screen. This happens just often enough to be quite annoying. I've enabled a mode that supposedly keeps the screen on more of the time, in a dimmed mode. This has helped a little, but has far from eliminated the problem. I'm hoping this might get worked out as time goes on, but it's easily my biggest annoyance with the watch.
  • Another annoyance is the manner in which notifications live on the watch. From what I can tell, all notifications will pop up when received and fill the bottom half of the screen with a snippet of of the message. That's fine, and I'd be ok if that sat there for anywhere from ten seconds to two minutes. My problem is that some notifications apparently just sit there until you deal with them. Not only that, but sometimes I want to leave the notification, I just want to push it out of my watch face. I can do that, but only temporarily. As soon as the watch goes to sleep the notification will pop back up again. I have to dismiss the notification entirely.
  • A couple other annoyances: "OK Google: note to self" does not let me choose to send myself an email. It will ONLY do Google Keep or another note taking app if you have one installed. I prefer to have an email sent to myself as a modified GTD process I have. I also notice that sometimes the voice recognition takes quite some time to connect and work through the recognition process.
  • Current apps are slowly starting to expand into Android wear, and that's super cool, but I wish there were an easy way to see what apps have wear integration. This is different from Wear-only apps, which have their own section in the Play Store. There are some good apps out there, but I haven't had much of a chance to try these out. The main one I'm using right now is one called "Baby Time." I launch it every time I'm about to pick up my son, and it locks the screen so it only shows the time/date, and will only go away if you swipe up twice then down twice. Until I started using that, my kid was constantly accidentally activating the voice recognition mode, and I ended up with some weird stuff happening on my watch smile
  • The last problem I have is a weird one. I've started using Hangouts for all my messaging, and I like it, but there are still issues with it. In the app, for example, I can finally specify that I want all SMS messages to be sent from my Google Voice phone number. However, every time I send a text from my Moto 360, whether it's a new text or a response to a text sent to either number on my phone, it ALWAYS sends as my cell phone number. I don't want that at all, because I don't want anyone to use that number. Hopefully Motorola or Google fixes this problem.
  • My first "wow" moment came when one of my clients sent me a very basic email, saying I could drop by his house any time to help him out. His email was a very quick "Come over any time." I was able to read that on my watch, I was able to swipe left twice and tap "Reply," then choose one of the prepopulated responses of "OK." The moment I tapped "OK" it initiated the send automatically (which I could cancel for a few seconds if it was accidental). I then archived the email and was done, in about 5 seconds, without ever taking my phone out of my pocket. That's the moment I was completely sold.
  • In terms of appearance, I just haven't seen a smartwatch I like better. This, of course, is going to be a completely subjective issue for everyone, but personally I find it to be the most attractive of the watches announced. It could be a little slimmer, but I'm fine with how big the diameter is.

I know I spent most of this review detailing my annoyances with the watch, but I'm really enjoying it, and I find myself going for my phone a whole lot less. Even if you cut out the number of times I only take out my phone to check the time, I think that removes about a couple dozen instances a day.

I'd say that if you're interested in an Android Wear watch, don't get scared off by the battery life issues. They're not a huge problem, IMO, and the benefits of the watch far outweigh the problems I have with it.

#363204 - 02/01/2015 19:02 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Battery life has improved radically since the phone first came out. Back then, the reviews were rightly complaining about 18 hours then a dead battery. These days, with the latest 5.0 firmware, After 18 hours the battery is still ~2/3 full. It's really amazing what a lot of dedicated software engineering can do for battery life.

The thing that really sold me on the watch, never mind my personal watchface hacking, was when my phone rang. I looked at the watch and it was somebody I just wanted to send straight to voicemail. And I did it with a single swipe, never touching my actual phone. When that happened, it was one of those "wow, the future" kinds of moments.

#363219 - 04/01/2015 00:40 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I love that ability too. I'm so often in situations where I can only take important calls, and the ability to see who's calling without taking my phone out of my pocket is important. It's so nice to be able to send people to voicemail from my watch.

I've also noticed that I'm less likely to take my phone out and put it on tables. It's a habit I've been trying to break, and the watch helps.

Dan, have you noticed the screen waking problem too? It's very frustrating to me.

I've also been having another weird issue: about half the time that I archive an email, it'll finish archiving, and then it just sits on that "Archive" button. I then swipe to the right again and there's the email that I just archived. I have to dismiss the notification too, which seems redundant. The rest of the time, when I archive an email it disappears from my watch and I'm brought back to the watch face or another notification.

#363224 - 05/01/2015 01:35 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Screen waking problem? Maybe this reddit thread can help?

Just for fun, I turned on the "ambient" mode this morning, and now 13 hours later, I've still got 59% of my battery remaining. And this is with my CalWatch watchface, which does the whole sweeping second hand thing, and thus burns slightly more power. Anyway, suffice to say that you might try turning ambient mode on. It doesn't actually run the screen 24/7. What it does is watch for small jiggles and tilts and turn the screen on briefly to a dim setting and turn it quickly off again. It will still go full-on if you do the usual pronounced tilt or you hit the button.

Email: I disabled email notification. I get email 24/7, all the time, and none of that is important enough to buzz on my wrist. I still let texts buzz through, but I don't get very many of them, otherwise I'd probably mute them as well.

Meanwhile, a preview of coming attractions. I've hacked together a messaging thing so a stopwatch or countdown timer can notify any watchface that cares, giving them a chance to render it alongside the time. I've got it working now with a demo watchface but I'm not going to go public until I get it hacked into CalWatch. This whole business is something that should have been done by the builtin stopwatch and timer, but wasn't.

#363225 - 05/01/2015 02:24 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It's weird, you're getting far better battery life than I am. I strapped on my watch at around 9am, and the watch was dead by 7pm. That's bad.

I was barely playing with it today, too. I received around 6 emails, and only about 10 other notifications total. I read a few of the emails directly on the watch, and archived them (with the mixed results I mentioned above - very annoying). I may have done one or two voice searches as well. This amount of use should by no means suck so much battery that I can't get all the way through the evening. I'm pretty disappointed.

Is it possible to turn off all fitness aspects of the watch? I don't want to use them, especially since I firmly believe that wrist-based fitness trackers cannot match the traditional Fitbit (attached to your torso). It's my hope that disabling those features will extend my battery life...

#363226 - 05/01/2015 02:25 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

BTW, very cool watch face idea! I'm going to install it to play around with it.

#363235 - 05/01/2015 16:58 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Is your watch running 5.0? The battery life made a quantum jump from then to now. Also, if you're running a pre-5.0 watchface, versus a current one, that might make a difference. (They changed all the APIs around. The new ones at least are a whole lot easier to work with...)

Fitness stuff: I've blocked all the notifications from the fitness apps, and it wouldn't surprise me if that helped my battery life. There really isn't any other way to disable things unless you want to play games with adb to uninstall the APKs, and that might well break things.

FYI, last night when I put the watch on the charger, it had been been running 13 hours and the Wear app on my phone estimated it had 17 hours left. So 30 estimated hours total. Not bad. Today, it's been off the charger for 5 hours so far and the app estimates 23 hours left. So 28 hours estimated total. I can totally live with that.

#363249 - 06/01/2015 00:46 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I think the watch face was the culprit. I'm using one called Weather Watchface, and it just had an update today that listed one of the improvements as addressing a battery drain issue. I think this was independent of the 5.0 improvements which came in a previous update to the app.

I've disabled the fitness notifications too, but I can see that, for example, Moto Fit is still counting my steps. That's really annoying. I have to imagine that it's affecting battery life, but I'm more optimistic now. At one point today it took about an hour for the battery to drop 3%.

#363258 - 07/01/2015 12:42 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

So far as I can tell, those measurements only happen once every few minutes and involve turning on some green LEDs on the back of the phone. The power draw is apparently negligible. Conversely, if you're constantly waking up the screen to notify you about an email, that's going to add up. Just switching off those notifications will save you a bunch of power.

Also, FWIW, I've been continuing to pay attention every evening to the battery remaining estimate plus time used in the day. In total, I'm seeing between 28-30 hours of battery life per charge. And this is with "ambient" mode turned on. Translation: even if you forget to charge it at night, you'll hopefully notice it in the morning and you'll have the time to put it on the charger before you head out for work.

#363264 - 07/01/2015 21:23 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I did turn off the notifications for all fitness-related items, and I have in fact seen a marked improvement in battery life. I'm not getting estimates of about 28-30 hours just like you.

While I agree that the heartrate measurements probably don't take up much battery, I would think the step count measuring does. I guess I'm just astonished that it's impossible to turn those features off. Google Fit gives me the option to turn it off, but Moto's version does not. I can open the "Moto Body Steps" app and see how many steps I've taken during the day. I really wish I could turn that off, and/or have better control over what's running on my watch.

#363281 - 12/01/2015 01:25 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

FYI, I pushed out the latest version of CalWatch and a new XStopwatch / XTimer app that broadcasts its state for the watch face to render. Feedback always welcome.

#363323 - 20/01/2015 13:31 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
My son bought one of these and at the end of the day he has 15-20% battery life left, depending on usage. And he even plays games on it when bored (2048 works quite well, apparently)

He doesn't use ambient mode, and for those rare occasions where the screen doesn't wake up on lifting, a button tap seems to not present too much annoyance.

He does tweak it and his Galaxy S5 a lot - latest and greatest ROMS, updates etc., and says it is very straightforward to mess around with for incremental improvements.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#363325 - 20/01/2015 15:07 Re: Moto 360 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I've had a far better experience with it recently. Once I disabled all the fitness stuff, my battery life was WAY better, giving me at least 10 more hours of life. They really should disable all that stuff by default if they want to give a good impression. Of course, it doesn't help that out of the box there are two fitness apps running - Motorola's and Google's - and they both notify you. It's really annoying. I've disabled almost everything related to fitness stuff, although I'm still very annoyed that I apparently can't keep the watch from counting my steps with Motorola's fitness tracker. I refuse to believe that disabling that wouldn't at least help battery life a little bit, so the fact that it's impossible to turn that off it obnoxious.