Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#363776 - 02/04/2015 12:19 dedicated word processing tablet
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
My HS kid is looking for a tablet that acts as a typewriter. No internet, no apps, just document processing and a way to extract docs. She knows herself well enough to want to minimize distractions...

My google-fu is weak; I can't find anything out there. Has anyone here seen any such device?

Or is there an idiot-proof and inexpensive way to roll one, perhaps using linux on a chrome book?

I'm stuck on this one.

-jk

#363777 - 02/04/2015 12:53 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm not aware of such a device, but I had an idea. Windows 8 should have some parental control options that let you lock down application usage. You might be able to lock it down so much that she can only open her word processor, which could be Word or any number of free applications like LibreOffice.

If that sounds ok, there are plenty of inexpensive Windows laptops these days, like the HP Stream. You only mentioned a tablet, but I'd rather have a keyboard if this is only for creating documents.

Will she be able to get by without access to the internet? Won't she need it for some projects?

Edited by Dignan (02/04/2015 12:54)

#363780 - 02/04/2015 16:49 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
jmwking
old hand

She already has a laptop, but she tends to play instead of doing work. She wants some external discipline...

We use parental controls, but it's limited to apps and internet. And its apps controls are flaky.

She'll spend an hour rearranging her icons or changing her tweaking her desktop.

-jk

#363782 - 02/04/2015 18:01 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
drakino
carpal tunnel

iPad + Pages (free) + Guided Access to lock the iPad down to just Pages.

#363786 - 02/04/2015 23:38 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
jmwking
old hand

That might work! Thanks...

#363787 - 03/04/2015 07:39 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: jmwking
She wants some external discipline...

You appear to be attempting to use a technical solution to a people problem. Have you looked into different techniques for improving focus and concentration?

For example, the Pomodoro technique helps me with concentration and self-discipline, by breaking up my time into really short sprints.

Another thought: Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware has some good stuff in it about focus and concentration.

I just can't help thinking that it's gonna be difficult to completely remove distractions from one's life, and that learning to deal with them more effectively is a good thing.

#363788 - 03/04/2015 11:03 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
jmwking
old hand

I get it. She's on the spectrum, so we're constantly trying to find ways she can help herself.

I'll look into those links. Thanks!

-jk

#363791 - 05/04/2015 02:17 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: jmwking]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
This will sound insane but I've used it for my ADHD and I know a few people who used it on their autistic children or students and it works fairly often to help improve focus - get her a koosh ball or a stress ball or some other textured hand sized squishable object and have her try working with that in her hand. I'd love to tell you why it works, but I have no idea.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#363812 - 06/04/2015 12:37 Re: dedicated word processing tablet [Re: Heather]
jmwking
old hand

Originally Posted By: Heather
This will sound insane but I've used it for my ADHD and I know a few people who used it on their autistic children or students and it works fairly often to help improve focus - get her a koosh ball or a stress ball or some other textured hand sized squishable object and have her try working with that in her hand. I'd love to tell you why it works, but I have no idea.

She has tons of fidgets!

thanks,

-jk